PDA

View Full Version : Water pump pulley problem

Want2Bfast
02-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Hay guys, i have a slight problem with my pulley on my water pump. It fell off, dont ask me how it happened but it did.

Ok so here is the story, i pulled out my my friends yard and i hear a pop from the front of the car. i think no biggie, you know, just a rock under the tire or something, then the charge light come on (the little battery lookin thing on the gauge panel). so i dont really think of it, just a bad ground of something. ok now i get to this house to pick him up and i see a little smoke coming out from under the hood, just the fliped lid and the masive amount of blow-by from the valve cover going into the airbox then out from the hood we get back in and now its just rolling out, so i poped the hood and a big cloud of steam rolls out and i see a cooling line spewing out coolent onto my block. so i sit there and let it cool for about an hour an drive the short distance back to my friends house (yes with the messed up line) and we take a closer look and see that the belt was super loose, well what do you know the water pump pulley wedged itself inbetween the alternater pulley and a mount or something. :wtf:

So now that you all know just how dumb i am can you please tell me if the W.pump pulley is pressed on or if they is a bolt that held it on. i also found that on the pulley that fell off , it has 3 bolts and what looks like a mount that once held it on. any info will help

Thanks,
Matt

AccordEpicenter
02-22-2003, 08:44 PM
it has 3 bolts that hold it on but id make sure that youre water pump isnt dead. If the shaft the bolts are in fell off too then you need a new pump.

Want2Bfast
02-22-2003, 10:04 PM
So i checked out the shaft and it is ok, the pump still spins freely which is a good sign. ok now the plate that has the 3 bolts on it is still on the pully, which in escence means that there is just the shaft sticking out off the pump with nothing else on it. I guess my real question is how do i get the pulley back on, and make it stay.

Thanks,
Matt

88LXi/87CRXSi
02-23-2003, 06:05 AM
I don't think that's repairable! That plate is a press fit on the shaft, I think, so the pump would have to come out to press it back on. It would probably come back off within 5 min, so just replace the pump, don't bother trying to fix it!

-Steve

AccordEpicenter
02-24-2003, 02:33 PM
yeah the pump is junk. I assume you have an aftermarket pump? Ive never seen that happen on a real honda one...