PDA

View Full Version : 88 Accord Headlight problem

abvddon666
12-21-2018, 07:58 PM
So I have my 88 Accord with retractable headlights. And for some reason my left headlight has slowly went out. It started with the high beam and has now taken both high and low beam. I had some standard sylvanias in it, Non-halogen. I checked my fuses they are fine and I looked at my black box that's in the engine bay, thinking there may be a high low relay. There is only one relay and it is fine as well since the right side works fine. I can't put my finger on it. My fuses are fine, my relay is fine. I did buy some new sealed halogen beams thinking it was my bulb. Now I'm not sure what the problem is aside of maybe the combo switch on the flipper or I burned my connector out with hotter bulbs. But wouldn't that mean the right side wouldn't work as well? I definitely need help because I drive a lot at night and it's annoying being pulled over 6 times a month for head lights. Thank you in advanced :sadwave:

Oldblueaccord
12-22-2018, 04:19 PM
So I have my 88 Accord with retractable headlights. And for some reason my left headlight has slowly went out. It started with the high beam and has now taken both high and low beam. I had some standard sylvanias in it, Non-halogen. I checked my fuses they are fine and I looked at my black box that's in the engine bay, thinking there may be a high low relay. There is only one relay and it is fine as well since the right side works fine. I can't put my finger on it. My fuses are fine, my relay is fine. I did buy some new sealed halogen beams thinking it was my bulb. Now I'm not sure what the problem is aside of maybe the combo switch on the flipper or I burned my connector out with hotter bulbs. But wouldn't that mean the right side wouldn't work as well? I definitely need help because I drive a lot at night and it's annoying being pulled over 6 times a month for head lights. Thank you in advanced :sadwave:

As long as the connector has 12 volts I would guess its a dirty connection or a dirty ground close to that headlight.

On the quick I would swap the headlights since you know one works for sure to rule out a headlamp problem.

Dr_Snooz
12-24-2018, 09:28 PM
The wires going to the bulbs see a lot of flexing from going up and down with the pop-ups. It's not uncommon for them to break in the loom.

abvddon666
12-30-2018, 07:49 AM
My wires snapped. Got caught between the rotating case and the body. Now I have to rewire them. And looks pretty annoying because they have those wires tucked away pretty well.
Welcome to the car life huh? I'm only 21 so...this is my first go round with a vehicle lol

Oldblueaccord
12-30-2018, 03:59 PM
Well its cheaper than a car payment.

Fix up those wires and youll be fine.