PDA

View Full Version : First Accord - First problems!

Bl4ckfl4g
12-28-2018, 05:29 PM
Hello 3geez friends!
First post here but have been on the boards since about July- becoming more familiar with 3g Accords every day. I love these cars and wish all the time I could go back to when these cars were "newer". Looking at all these old-school websites/projects makes me so excited to own this car 😜

Acquired my 1986 Metallic-Gray Accord LX 4-DR back in August from the original owner's son (family friend) with only 166k on the clock with every part working! Even the antenna! There are lots of basic maintenance records and the car has not needed any major repairs.

I went ahead and exchanged all the fluids and any o-rings I could access easily. Ran wonderful until a week ago when I noticed a lot more vibration when warming up from a start paired with some higher rpms. Today after driving for about 10 minutes I come to stop and notice some white smoke (steam?) coming from beneath my hood. I investigate to find that one of my sparkplugs is shaking pretty violently and tapping the side of the manifold along with some smoke. Plugs are relatively new according to records and I have not seen any evidence of leaks.

Since I have gotten the car I have also noticed a few other funny issues;
-Jerky hesitation when letting on or off the throttle. Usually only happens in 1st or 2nd gear but if I let off the gas anywhere above 1k the car thumps back really hard.
-Erratic tachometer, most likely paired with the above but even if I get the acceleration to be smooth it will twitch a little bit while increasing/decreasing.

Would love to pick your guys' brains about whats going on and what I can do to make my Accord happy again!
Thanks for the read! 😃