PDA

View Full Version : Wet plug

InAccordance
12-31-2018, 06:19 PM
Pulled plugs out yesterday just to check em to see how things are going internally and the 1st one right next to the distributor was wet with gas. I mean, sopping wet and stinky. Not a burnt smell, just straight gasoline. Other 3 were fine and looked good, a bit high on carbon buildup but nothing too serious.
Put fresh new plugs in (NGK-R) and she runs much smoother. Still has that 4k rpm miss but that's a different issue.
Got to work an hour too early and had nothing to do so thought I'd pull that one plug out to check it and see, sure enough... was slightly damp from gas, not soaked like it was before but there was dampness.
Weak spark on that cylinder maybe?
Or maybe that barrel on the carb is dumping too much fuel compared to the other 3...?

Oldblueaccord
01-01-2019, 01:36 PM
Not ruling out a carbs of course....what gap are you running and what heat range. Im thinking 5's and gap at .030" with copper plugs. Verify spark is good its possible one post of the cap is not getting full spark from a wobble in the shaft. See if the pattern inside the cap looks ok or maybe the spark is trailing off one post.

Since your duel carb I guess there could be some fuel dump leak on one carb to one cylinder.

I would also change the oil im sure it is fuel soaked.

InAccordance
01-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Got these: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/ngk-standard-spark-plug-7634/5392470-P?searchTerm=Spark+Plugs+ngk

Just standard OE plug. Gapped em to .44 as recommended.
Been keeping an eye on the oil and it looks good, no funny smells like gas or anything. How would gas be getting into the oil like that?
It's been a few days so when I get the chance I'll pull the plugs again and see how they look.

Oldblueaccord
01-02-2019, 09:19 PM
Gas slips by the rings into the oil.

InAccordance
01-02-2019, 10:18 PM
ah, good point.
I'll keep a close eye on it but like I said, right now it looks and smells fine.

Oldblueaccord
01-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Got these: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/ngk-standard-spark-plug-7634/5392470-P?searchTerm=Spark+Plugs+ngk

Just standard OE plug. Gapped em to .44 as recommended.
Been keeping an eye on the oil and it looks good, no funny smells like gas or anything. How would gas be getting into the oil like that?
It's been a few days so when I get the chance I'll pull the plugs again and see how they look.

LKR7E my reading that heat range is 7 cold I would look at 6 and or 5's even since you have a fuel fouled plug that help clean thing up mis fire wise.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/v-power-nickel-4446/ignition---tune-up-16776/spark-plug-12874/b14eb31b13d7/ngk-v-power-nickel-spark-plug/6937/4537705/1988/honda/accord?pos=20

I think this is the one I am thinking is the call out for the EFI motors. The smaller gap(gapped) again helps with misfires. V power is for Honda goodness.

InAccordance
01-03-2019, 10:00 PM
I'll go grab a set and try em out, will report back.

InAccordance
01-27-2019, 03:58 PM
Just an update on this issue...
Pulled the plugs again today to check on them.
It's the number 4 that was giving me problems. It looked decent, good amount of carbon on it but wasn't wet like before.
Went ahead and swapped in new plugs and wires and cleaned up the head around the plug holes. Valve cover gasket was leaking again due to it being taken off so many times. Put a new on in so should good there. I'm wondering if oil was seeping in past the plug and getting into the chamber cause it was still puffing a slight bit of blue smoke but once I put the new gasket on and cleaned around the plug holes, it stopped.

There is definitely gas in the oil though, could smell it as soon as I pulled the valve cover off.

Dr_Snooz
01-27-2019, 09:11 PM
I guess that's why you're shopping for LS rods?

InAccordance
01-27-2019, 10:13 PM
lol no, that was just a curiosity thing for the engine build I want to do.