PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light

tad70
01-26-2019, 08:19 PM
So, i bought my 89 accord lxi with a check engine light on...one owner car and the person i bought the car from told me that a mechanic told him it was the EGR valve causing the check engine light. But he never fixed it because the car ran fine. However, i hate seeing that light on, so I went to the junkyard today and found an 89 accord lxi and i took the valve I also grabbed one from a 96 accord. I paid $43 and some change with a warranty. I used the 96 egr valve because the plunger actuated smother. The vacuum nipple on that egr is bent at a 90 degree angle so i had to cut that and i also had to re-pin the connector because the 96 has new style connector and buy a longer vacuum hose because the nipple is on the opposite side of the egr. So, I got that done turned my car on and let it warm up to normal operating temperature and took off for a 35 minute drive, and no CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. Normally the light comes on just pulling out of my subdivision. So tomorrow i will go return the other egr to the junkyard. :)

InAccordance
01-27-2019, 03:52 PM
EGR valves are bad for clogging up with carbon after so many years, pretty common code.

profquad
02-04-2019, 12:43 PM
nice! did you just cut it off at the angle?

tad70
02-04-2019, 02:24 PM
yeah, I cut it off at the angle.