PDA

View Full Version : Damaged camshaft bearing surface

Donnyten
01-29-2019, 06:41 AM
Had to redo rear freeze plugs and found that one of the camshaft bearing surfaces on a used cylinder head is pretty damaged. When i first got it it wasnt nearly as bad. Had a few knicks. After a few months of driving, got worse. As a daily driver , time and transportation wise i really cant afford to get this fixed. If it came down to it id rather get a rebuilt head from ebay than pull another at a junkyard. Wish honda used actual bearing rather than built in bearings. Smh. Can i sand and jb weld it?

Also can someone please fix the certificate problem on this site?

InAccordance
01-29-2019, 02:25 PM
THAT'S ALOT OF DAMAGE!!
get some flex seal up on that my dude.
but for real... that's pretty narly. I wonder if a machine shop or whatever could weld some material in and resurface it..
probably would be cheaper just to get a new head though.

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2019, 09:20 PM
That's the trouble with wrecking yard stuff. It's always wrecked. I've been disappointed too many times to bother going to the junkyard for stuff anymore. I'd rather retrofit new stuff in.

You could potentially take that to a machine shop and see if they could sleeve it, but then, you'd still have all the same R&R plus however long you'd have to leave it with them. It'd be a lot faster to swap in an eBay head.

Good luck with the repair.

Donnyten
01-30-2019, 08:18 AM
Ordered a rebuilt head but in the meanwhile gotta get this back together..

Holy shit is this timing belt a pain in the ass.. i remember it like the first time i did it.. do yall have any good tips? I must have gotten weaker . Im pullung on the belt like crazy to get it on the cam pully

Donnyten
01-30-2019, 08:59 AM
A mallet did the trick.. holy crap

Dr_Snooz
01-30-2019, 06:35 PM
Put everything at TDC, then put the belt around the bottom pulleys, tensioner, etc. leaving the cam pulley loose. Take the slack out of the belt toward the front side of the car, then slowly, tooth by tooth, walk the belt up and over the cam pulley. It's difficult and takes awhile, but it's the best way I've found. Putting the spring on the tensioner after everything in place is a real bad idea.

InAccordance
01-30-2019, 07:21 PM
I do it the spring on the tensioner way. Just find the point of which the crank will move and back it up just that much, put spring on and viola, it'll move into place. Takes a few tries to get it just right.

Donnyten
01-31-2019, 05:11 PM
Good to get different views on this. Im gonna have to do it again soon

Dr_Snooz
01-31-2019, 07:46 PM
I could never get enough leverage on the spring to pull it into place. There isn't much room to work in there and it's a long way down. I could get plenty of muscle on the belt from up topside. Maybe I'm just a wimp. Whatever works for you.