PDA

View Full Version : 87 DX Sedan Project Log

ShiRen
02-14-2019, 11:31 PM
Oh my God, guys I'm aching to drive this car again. At the time of writing this she is down with a broken clutch fork (presumably). I have so much planned for it and its been put on the back burner because I don't have the time to pull the engine right now.
https://i.imgur.com/roDfkZY.jpg

Here she is right now. I am only the second owner and despite having a little quarter rust and the front end being a little tweaked from a deer, it is a very nice car. 120k miles and a very healthy engine. I gave it a tune up and deleted all of the vacuum lines and I have to say its almost fast. I have a ton of parts for it that will be installed when I tear into it.

Right now it has
-Msd ignition coil
-Full vacuum delete
-Cat delete
-Wideband sensor
-Rebiult brakes. Metallic pads, new master, booster delete. Looking to do the lines later and add a wilwood proportioning valve
-Solid dogbone bushing
-Choke delete

Parts I'm waiting to install on it
-Exedy stock clutch
-Flywheel
-the damn shifter seal. I'm almost glad I broke my clutch
-Shifter birdcage bushing and poly shifter bushings
-Poly front engine mount
-Catch can

I'm probably forgetting some of the things I have/installed, but I have a few big plans for it
First, as soon as I need tires I'm installing 15x7" Diamond racing Pro Street wheel with presumably 195/50r15s and fender flares.
Second, I have these babies.
https://i.imgur.com/9097oyJ.jpg
Its been too long since I've played with them to remember what size they are, but I do have adjustable needles for them and they should really let me tune this car good. They are ready unless I'm forgetting to buy an accel pump diaphragm. once I've set the floats on them though all I need to do is make a manifold and put it on.
I have two turbos lying around. A Toyota ct26 thats prooooobably too big, and a built Garret t25 with an oversized t28 wheel on it and Saab housings. I built that when I was a youngun and I'm a tad scared of it, I have no idea what it will do, its so small, but I don't know how to give it a test run before I try to put it in a car. I don't know how those bike carbs will behave under boost, but I'm not above building a header for it. I will probably put a return style fuel system in it when I change carbs unless I happen to get a manifold built while I'm doing the clutch. I will put a walbro in it and a boost reference fuel pressure reg in it and that should be way overbuilt for any boost the stock engine will handle. Head studs are in its future as well.
Also, I plan on making a cruise and speedo controller with and arduino... this is a precautionary plan for when the speedo cable inevitably breaks and breaks my heart along with it, also the cruise only works if you steer with your feet and balance a glass of water on your head. I should be able to use the handy wheel speed sensor used for the cruise control :)

I really hope I get some work done to it soon. I'm going to do a timing belt and clean the cylinders out when I have it apart. I'd say its biggest and most confusing problem right now (besides the clutch) is that it diesels when its hot, but I never thought it could be carbon.
More pictures will come later, maybe after I figure out how to straighten the hood gap or I have to whole drivetrain strung across my garage.

Dr_Snooz
02-15-2019, 07:34 PM
I should be able to use the handy wheel speed sensor used for the cruise control :)

Well I have some bad news for you. There is no wheel speed sensor. The speed is measured off a magnetic pulser in the speedo gauge. Sadly, then the cable brakes, the speed pulser will too...

Anyway, it sounds like a fun project. Do keep us posted on all your adventures.

InAccordance
02-15-2019, 07:38 PM
Can attest. had my speed cable break 3 days after I got it running again. Odometer is tied into it as well so I dont even know what my actual mileage is now =P

ShiRen
02-15-2019, 11:33 PM
Is that right? I know you have to turn the driver side wheel and yeah its just a weak magnetic pulse you can measure off the cruise control plug. I thought it was on the wheel, but if its driven off the speedo cable I might have to put a trigger wheel on the cv axle, which isnt a big deal.

The only thing I use my odometer for is my oil changes, other than that I dont think I want to know! lol

Dr_Snooz
02-16-2019, 04:05 PM
I might have to put a trigger wheel on the cv axle, which isnt a big deal.

Take pics and do a how-to for us, please.

You can always use your smartphone to find out your speed.

ShiRen
02-16-2019, 08:40 PM
Biggest thing I need to find out is what the control module sends to the cruise motor. I dont exactly have a reliable module and I cant think of a good way to check besides jacking the front of my car up, starting it in 5th, and pray it sets speed long enough I can check it. Ive only gotten the cruise to set a couple times and it would turn off after a little bit and not come back on, when I took the module out I couldnt get it to engage no matter how many times I tried. The manual might have said a little bit about it, I will have to look to refresh myself.

Edit: nothing in the manual says the voltage, but I see what I am working with. There is 3 valves in the actuator, theyre tied together on the brn/wht positive wire. The other 3 wires are negative, blk wire goes straight to ground and completes the circuit for the safety solenoid (I dont know the exact purpose of this, but it would be always fully closed in use, vents with vent valve), the brn/blk wire goes to the vacuum solenoid (this may be used to physically turn the cruise on/off, activated with the resume button. Its rest state is closed unlike the others.), the brn wire goes to the vent valve and this wire must be resistively controlled because I highly doubt brn/wht carries a pwm signal. The resistance range must be extremely minute because operation of either the safety valve or the vacuum valve is enough to shut it off. If the test calls for applying 12v to all solenoids plus vacuum that means the vacuum is pulling the actuator to wot, venting the vent valve would reduce vacuum pull. There surely is a harmony these old vacuum cruise control systems work in. To prevent from under/over shooting when resuming the vent valve must be adjusted on the fly according to the vss. Vacuum will pull the cruise when under load while the vent valve should still be actively moving to adjust speed, which is good because the vent valve may have very limited movement, acceleration is a much quicker action than deceleration. Under deceleration the vent valve will slowly creep open and bring the car to a cruise. Depending on engine vacuum the cruise control may have a maximum operating rpm, if speed is set high enough that the vent valve is fully closed then the cruise probably wont be able to pull all the way to wot, it will sit wherever the vacuum pressure can pull against the spring within the diaphragm. Concluding this it should allow me to test some function of the actuator. I can find the resistance range used for the brown wire (for the final product I will need to find components able to operate between ~12v and ~14v so I have enough range to fully open the vent valve with extra voltage from the alternator) but I will not have any idea how it translates to speed. Im going to have to start with my code soon, thatll be pretty tough too.
Edit2: brown wire may actually be pwm my bad, even if its not, it may be my safest bet to do anyway. I will need to buy my arduino and make a driver to test the actuator like this. In the meantime, is there a picture of what the end of the speedometer cable looks like going in the back of the cluster?

Dr_Snooz
02-17-2019, 07:00 PM
Yikes. You're getting pretty cozy with it. It might be easier to follow the troubleshooting flow chart in the manual to fix it.

ShiRen
02-20-2019, 07:41 AM
Haha, sorry I do get a little carried away, but its a lot easier to get my thoughts out if I'm reverse engineering something. I've fixed my pedal switches and checked about everything else on the flow chart, I'm almost 100% sure the control unit is dying. If it works how I think it does it will be pretty easy to replicate on other cars.

ShiRen
03-23-2019, 04:51 PM
I'm back. Car is finally being worked on. Pulled the engine and trans to find the clutch was improperly installed. Spent a long time cleaning the engine and making everything look way too good to go back into this beater. Disassembled the trans today, I just want to say that I am beside myself because I have the wrong shifter seal... the correct one should be a Frewdenburg-Nok W0133-1634604-NOK, not a Timken/National 221607. Should be 26mm outside, 14mm inside.
https://i.imgur.com/HQCittR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BPnht7S.jpg

Dr_Snooz
03-28-2019, 05:37 PM
So you opted to pull the engine after all? Or do you just keep pretty long blocks sitting around the shop. :rofl: Sucks about the seal. :( Hope you get it sorted.

ShiRen
04-03-2019, 03:06 PM
No worries on the seal. The one I mentioned was the right one, it seems to be the same as every other honda, or at least for a d series... Just don't let the parts store give you the wrong one!
https://i.imgur.com/zfwq8zk.jpg

And yes, I had planned on pulling the engine, practically the easiest way to go about it, especially with all that I wanted to do.
https://i.imgur.com/CixEKTQ.jpg
I've cleaned it up the best I could, looped the power steering lines today and tucked/deleted a lot of wires and lines.

Here's my poly front engine mount taken from https://www.3geez.com/forum/restoration-custom-fabrication/72765-alternative-poly-engine-mounts.html?highlight=poly+mount
The images were down on the linked post, so here is an example. The ones he was making should work on the back, but I'm not going to mess with it yet (stock front mount is UGLY)
https://i.imgur.com/BMjjZCC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8ySMhk8.jpg

I should have it driving soon, maybe this weekend, only shifter bushings to go (I need to find the birdcage bushing I bought from cheddars Im going nuts). I have a goal now to go to Hot Import Nights KC on July 6, so once I get it moving Ill fix some rust, put new oem springs on to fix the gangster lean, and get my bike carbs ready. Hopefully my budget allows for new wheels and tires by then.

Dr_Snooz
04-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Very cool! LOL at that orphan exhaust manifold in your bay.

ShiRen
04-12-2019, 08:15 AM
Alrighty boys, its been a few days, got her running, but had no time to post (so I'm writing this at work while doing tune ups 😉)

Night after my last post I got my bike carbs polished and put together. They ate Mikuni Vm26ss's I need to make a manifold for these still, I may go with 3d printing if they will hold up.
http://i.imgur.com/NM8Prhw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Ikzt8Up.jpg
le bent needle
http://i.imgur.com/yJxOcaq.jpg
If you are interested in the parts and manuals for these I can post them, otherwise Ill put everything for this car up on github later.

Earlier this week I got the energy suspension poly shifter bushings, cheddas auto delrin birdcage bushing replacement, exhaust manifold painted, clutch on, engine in, front engine mount shortened, aaand running. Had the distributor 180 out at first, but its been smooth.
http://i.imgur.com/U3fBfFF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iBYntwk.jpg
I had to add a piece of tubing to the bottom of the clutch cable because its so stretched, and also had to remove the jute from behind the pedals under the carpet because there was no way the clutch pedal could move all the way before hitting the carpet.
http://i.imgur.com/rNMEcWb.jpg

I just ordered a carb kit because Im not getting enough fuel when the throttle blades crack open, either one, main or secondary because of the big vacuum spike. So whenever I take off I have to get the engine to about 3k rpm or it just falls on its face when the clutch grabs and I see my afr meter peg lean. Its not cool but I suppose its my sloppy old accel pump diaphragm, the accel pump is adjusted as tight as it can go without leaking, theres no stop on the lever, and my float is as high as it will reasonably go. Good news is after I adjusted the float it at least doesn't lean out if you ease in the throttle, even passed the secondaries. I know I dont plan on keeping this carb, but I would like to have it as a safe alternative

Dr_Snooz
04-12-2019, 10:29 PM
Starting to look exciting!

ShiRen
04-13-2019, 10:46 AM
Carb kit was the wrong one, imagine that. I could have used parts out of it, but I'd rather get my $50 back. Accel pump diaphragm actually looked good though. I put it back together and couldnt get the accel pump to stop leaking even with new hex head screws and o rings, I didnt notice it before today, but maybe thats my problem. May have to use silicone or something.

Dr_Snooz
04-17-2019, 07:03 PM
Would your smog laws allow for a Weber swap?

ShiRen
05-11-2019, 07:53 AM
Its been a while, but I've only been dailying the car for the past week. I fixed the carb problems, accel pump finally sealed and made a base gasket for it. Runs better than ever now, but its pretty lean down low and sometimes stumbles if you let off and then get back on the throttle. I switched jobs too, so I haven't had much time to do more than that to it , but I've already been making enough money I can jump on buying more parts right away.

Emissions here are basically free game. I already don't have a cat, but I don't want to spend $300 on a weber when I have carbs I want to try.

Also theres an 89 DX auto around here that I'm going to pick up for real cheap, I can fix up my front end and I guess I'll paint the car since I don't want to have a white, brown, and bondo pink neapolitan paint job.

Oldblueaccord
05-13-2019, 06:18 PM
Looking at your picture of your clutch cable I think the round rubber part that catches the clutch fork should be at the bottom of the cable and the rubber touches the fork it slef. Just looking at it from memory.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/05/fa/f2/large/0900c1528005faf2.gif

ShiRen
05-18-2019, 05:18 AM
The rubber is under the fork with the domed washer between it and the fork. I added a piece of tubing below the rubber to take out the whole ass inch and a half that my clutch cable has stretched. Kind of ghetto, but I expect this cable to snap somewhere down the line. That's the only thing I did though really, nothing is rearranged on the cable, the zip ties at the top just help the cable stay tight and upright in the bracket because of the way I have the cable routed.

ShiRen
05-19-2019, 04:46 PM
I hit a sweet spot in the tune today. Added roughly 5deg of timing, aimed for 10deg, hits the 24 mark at a ~1000rpm idle. Richened it up, mixture screw is out about 3.5 turns, put the idle afr around 13-14. I didn't realize how low I had the float, raised it back up to the middle of the sight. Much more responsive now, no more hard jumps if you get back on the gas too hard after shifting, no more stumbling getting back on the gas exiting corners of heading up valleys. Still running out of fuel though, I am at the limit of the stock carb for sure, but its sure come a long way. I'm just waiting for the day it feels faster than my old 06 rsx.

InAccordance
05-19-2019, 06:32 PM
DanST Engineering makes a18 bike carb manifolds. He could easily do one for an a20. Hell, I gave him the a20 pattern cause he made my dcoe manifold. Just email him and tell him what you want.
The dcoe manifold cost me 312$ shipped. Crazy ass dollar to pound conversion rate 8(

ShiRen
05-29-2019, 03:58 AM
Making the manifold and welding it isnt a big deal. I used to be a full time welder repair tech for Miller Electric working under my grandpa up until a few weeks ago. My grandpa specializes in aluminum tig, but I dont want to throw a big project on him, Ill have to cut the flange out at least, I might even weld it. Luckily I dont have to make 2 flanges like dcoes. The biggest problem is finding the time to make it, even if I had time theres other things I need to get done like fixing the garage doors and running power on my detatched garage. Im currently waiting to buy a parts car, I have one lined up and I might jump on it next paycheck. I want to see if the stock manifold can be cut to work with the bike carbs temporarily, but Im also going to regrind the cam and while Im swapping the cam its getting a head gasket and head studs because Im getting a little suspicious that water is magically disappearing

InAccordance
05-29-2019, 09:28 PM
Well I have a stock carb manifold laying around if you're interested in it.

ShiRen
05-31-2019, 12:24 PM
Im buying another 3g probably next weekend, should have all the parts I need. New front clip, 89 bumpers, itll really fix this car up... after I patch the rocker panels and paint the whole car...

InAccordance
05-31-2019, 01:48 PM
I hear that. Though I am tempted to just leave mine all rusty for the lulz

ShiRen
05-31-2019, 08:24 PM
I know I wont get all the rust, but enough it wont be structural for another 10 years. Im so torn about having a quick beater vs a straight up nice car. Nice car is winning hard now that Ive been dailying it, its such a clean single owner car and runs like a spotted ass ape, its just seen a deer or a few and some salty Missouri roads

Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

InAccordance
05-31-2019, 08:57 PM
I know I wont get all the rust, but enough it wont be structural for another 10 years. Im so torn about having a quick beater vs a straight up nice car. Nice car is winning hard now that Ive been dailying it, its such a clean single owner car and runs like a spotted ass ape, its just seen a deer or a few and some salty Missouri roads

Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

I'm so quoting that last part.
Mine has been beat up so much over its life to fully repair it would take thousands. I'd just rather make it quick. I just like the fact that it was built in May of 89 which means it was one of that last ones made.
One cool thing is I do have a folder with every service ticket since 1989. One for each time it was taken in for things like oil changes and such. Last one is from 2016. I like having that sort of stuff.

ShiRen
06-01-2019, 08:18 AM
I wish mine had a service history, but based on the fact that when I first pulled off the air cleaner to find the choke mechanics wired open, I'm going to guess it was serviced in the driveway for 30 years. Luckily thats the most hillbilly thing I ever found.

Also my plan to fix the rust was literally to sandwich 1" angle iron across the pinch weld and add a litte sheet metal around the filler neck. An old customer didnt pick up his welder so as of yesterday I have a Millermatic 35 for my own garage, so I"ll add a considerable amount of metal to this thing... Surely the weight will be made up for stiffness once I seam weld btis of the chassis right :lol:

InAccordance
06-01-2019, 05:32 PM
I'm one of the lucky ones I guess, no rot around the gas filler. Pretty common thing in these and preludes.

Dr_Snooz
06-01-2019, 07:44 PM
You should post pics of your car for us.

ShiRen
06-02-2019, 08:47 AM
It hasn't changed a bit on the outside since the very first pic I posted lol. I will get some later this week for sure. Ive got some parts that will probably be here sometime next week that Ill post. Guess I can snap some pics anyway.

Real quick though... is that dinky little thing on the back of the intake (carb) with the bullet connector the coolant temp sensor for the gauge? I dont have coolant going through my intake and the yel/grn wire isnt hooked up. If thats it I need to relocate it, if its not I need to find it lol

Ive actually done some work to the interior though
https://i.imgur.com/I9gjpnr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UJsvWQn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/90OIINK.jpg
Clean on the inside, clapped on the outside
I scream paint job

InAccordance
06-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Yes to the dinky thing.
And high five for using an fi valve cover lol. They look so much cleaner than the carb ones.

Dr_Snooz
06-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Pretty sweet ride really. Nice and clean with "theft-proofing" on the outside. It's the best of all worlds!

My first car was a '76 Accord with lots of "theft-proofing." It was a true pile, but it never got broken into, and that was at the height of the US car theft epidemic in the '90s. I was at an Iron Maiden concert and some drunk fool broke into a car right next to mine in front of a crowd of people. We all ran off and I wondered what might happen to mine, but it was fine. I could park that thing anywhere. That's the way to do it: nice on the inside, theft-proofing on the outside.

AC439
06-02-2019, 03:41 PM
Pretty sweet ride really. Nice and clean with "theft-proofing" on the outside. It's the best of all worlds!

My first car was a '76 Accord with lots of "theft-proofing." It was a true pile, but it never got broken into, and that was at the height of the US car theft epidemic in the '90s. I was at an Iron Maiden concert and some drunk fool broke into a car right next to mine in front of a crowd of people. We all ran off and I wondered what might happen to mine, but it was fine. I could park that thing anywhere. That's the way to do it: nice on the inside, theft-proofing on the outside.

Mine was not only "theft-proofing" but also "wife-proofing". The paint was too ugly before my Rustoleum job and wife refused to ride with me...

InAccordance
06-02-2019, 04:30 PM
Haha, my wife hates riding in my car, too loud, too smelly, too rough riding, too ugly, no air conditioning. All good by me lol.

ShiRen
06-02-2019, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't know about any wife, but I havent noticed any women flocking to my retirement home on wheels.

Well, I did some wiring today. I wanted DRLs so I decided to run the parking lights with the ignition and while I was in there I wanted to fix Honda's mistake of not using any headlight relays. Good news is the DRLs work, even added a diode so you cant turn the ignition on with the parking light switch, I'm sure this car is easy enough to steal. Bad news is that the headlight switch's workings are an anomaly. You can see my wiring diagram for what I did, I know I didn't do anything super wrong, it must be the way the switch bridges the contacts, maybe I'm missing one little thing. The problem with the way I had them wired up was the low beams did not work, that really stumped me, another problem is the high beam indicator did not turn on. I put an led bulb on the third brake light tonight as well, it did't work at first either, and I'm pretty sure that was because the wires were backwards from the factory (repinned and fixed), so I'm not too surprised about the relays now. Luckily, I totally planned my wiring out and didn't just get super lucky by being able to unplug the wires coming from the switch to the relay and plug them back into the plug going into the fuse box, I'm just that good. I also left a little spot on my bracket for a fog light relay and unpinned the stupid dimmer wire in the clock.

https://i.imgur.com/cBvhLhT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Cnu6V60.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/C3LnK92.jpg

ShiRen
06-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Well here's the summary for this weeks adventures:
I got a bunch of leds in... over $150 worth of them. This is about everything excluding the dash lights because I like the incandescent green and they're already bad enough about throwing a glare on the windshield. I got 6 194 whites, 2 194 ambers, 4 1157 whites, 6 1156 whites (and I bought in pairs, but forgot the front blinkers, not that I really care because I got corner lights. I'm actually only missing one because I put one in the third brakelight, it took priority) and one 3022... But also, I found these babies (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/grm-09-1078), projector, glass lens, h4 bulb, under $20, oh hell yes, h4 bulbs got added to my superbrightleds cart right away and I have no regrets. This became completely necessary because I get up at 5am and drive to work, its sometimes dark when I leave my driveway, I often have foggy windows, and I couldn't turn the halogen headlights on until I have warmed up the car (very rarely do I give myself time) or at least after I'm rolling, but usually after I've stopped to get breakfast or something and have left the car run in the parking lot because I'd probably kill the engine at the stop signs down the road. So, that's why I made drls last week and the leds make sure they're bright and not tri\ying to kill the engine. I haven't put many bulbs in yet because I had a few more parts to gather up like a brake light strobe module and some load resistors so it stops telling me that I have a brake light out, I already changed the blinker relay... i don't remember the part number, if you need it I can go dig it up though.
https://i.imgur.com/PccBR66.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wDFhCdB.jpg

My msd 6a came in, don't know if I mentioned it in this thread without looking back, but I will update the msd thread later with the install procedure once I actually get around to doing that. It was really ugly when I got it, my shitty wrinkle black paint job looks a tad better, or at least matches the rest of the engine bay. Everything looks good in here, but I didn't really bother to run any tests on it, this old 6a is a little more robust than the digitals and visually it looks new, I just soldered in new wires on it.
https://i.imgur.com/CtDqZsZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YBayj5l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ebMHy2E.jpg

Today, I started by breaking my glove box, epoxyed the hinges back together with some washers to hold it. Then I bought the other 3g, its an 89 and has very little rust, I have more sheet metal than I ever imagined I'd ever get to fix this car, among other things like all those golden parts like the headlight motors. Also, this is a Japanese vin car, my main car is a US, they have different distributors, is the Hitachi any better than my TEC? Anyway, I'll be trailering it home tomorrow morning where it will sit in my garage where I will barely touch it because I don't want to put the nicer body panels on my car because a white and brown car is extra ugly. Later today I went to get some groceries aaaand as soon as i pulled into a parking spot I hear a spooooosh. At first I thought I was having a funeral for my 10yo tires, but no, the vacuum cap that I put on the small nipple of the coolant crossover pipe blew. Imagine that. So, I put some duct tape, water, and water wetter in my grocery cart, made a patch and made it down the road to Oreilly's minutes before closing and pulled the coolant temp sensor out of the intake and told them to find me a union and a barb and some 5/16 hose. Hole plugged and now I have a coolant temp sensor that makes contact with water now... although I forgot to ground it, I'll figure that out in the morning.
https://i.imgur.com/zFlt618.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Ux0AUip.jpg

Hope you didn't think I was joking about the adventures...

ShiRen
06-09-2019, 10:16 AM
RIP my water pump. It was raining under my hood today. I got the coolant temp sensor grounded, but I haven't seen it read anything on the gauge yet.

InAccordance
06-09-2019, 06:05 PM
Same problem I have, where I dont have the stock intake anymore, I cant find a good place to put the temp sending unit in. I've got it in the thermostat housing since I dont use that particular sensor anymore but it's not long enough to make contact with the coolant there unless there is good pressure like higher rpm. Isn't really anywhere else to put it. Only thing I can think to do is to cut my bypass hose in half and find a T-fitting I can screw it into and clamp the ends of the hose to it.
Something like this but I need to see what size I need: https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/subaru-impreza-wrx-fuel-line-fuel-pressure-t-fitting-adapter/
What size is that female end on the fitting you got?
Mine only has one wire running to the sensor. It's a yellow/green stripe.

ShiRen
06-09-2019, 07:02 PM
I have no idea what size fitting it is, I was in a hurry and I just told the guy behind the counter to grab me a union. I think it fit in an m10x1.0 brake union though, you might be able to translate that, idk if its npt or bspt. the end of the sensor is perfect length for that union, I don't know why its not working unless because the coolant just dead heads there there isn't really any pressure and I didn't grab it to see how hot it was, couldn't rev the engine either because of the shower of rusty water coming from the driver side of the engine compartment. I'm not sure what bypass hose you have, I might have one too, I think there's a 5/8 heater hose running from the nipple by the pump on the crossover tube to the t stat housing where it used to go through the intake, the sensor is currently on the small nipple under the intake that I think ran directly into the carb. A tee is probably what it needs to have some flow to it, or if it didn't you'd always think it should. Problem now is my sensor is semi permanent on that union now that I soldered a wire to it to ground it, and electrically it should be working :dunno:

and who the hell is cutting fuel lines and putting barb fittings on them lmao wtf glowshift

InAccordance
06-09-2019, 07:30 PM
My bypass is just a length of hose to route the lines from the stock intake. I blocked off one and routed the other two.

lol ikr... I just used that as an example of what I was thinking of. A fitting like that would be perfect because the sensor would stick into the coolant flow so it could read.
Mine does work with the one wire, just not all the time cause the sensor itself doesn't sit in the coolant flow unless there is a good amount of pressure.

ShiRen
06-10-2019, 06:34 AM
We probably have a similar bypass, I had one blocked off too and thats where it blew saturday. I think the hose on that bypass would be pretty big, the tee and barbs would be pretty big it might be hard to find a tee that also fits a sensor. Im assuming your sensor is screwed into where that vacuum thermovalve went into the thermostat housing, I thought about putting a sensor there too, maybe itd be easier just to find one thats longer

InAccordance
06-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Yea, it's where you said, right next to the bleed screw.
Used a spare fitting I had lying around that happened to fit into the housing and the sensor is screwed into that. Just doesnt stick down far enough.
I think I used 1/2 inch hose to bypass the intake lines.

ShiRen
06-12-2019, 03:51 AM
New water pump is in, boy that was fun. I didn't realize all the timing cover bolts had to come out!
Also the union I put in for the coolant temp sensor is stone cold... might be going back to the drawing board with that, maybe find something to fit directly into where the thermovalve goes on the tstat housing and is long enough to reach the coolant

ShiRen
06-16-2019, 02:22 PM
There. I think that is a suitable replacement for the black box :cool:
Still waiting on a set of bus bars to finish it, but it is wired up and running. Smoothed the idle out some and you can stay in 2nd at a lot lower speed, but not much else difference. My carb causing hesitations doesn't really help it show its merits.

Edit: checked float level and found the reason why it felt like my hesitations got a bit worse. Accel pump is leaking again! Right back around the inside bolt or somewhere around there where you can't see on or off the car. I would like to fix it so I have a good stock carb to keep around, but I'm out of ideas. Guess I'll work on getting that other car picked apart.

https://i.imgur.com/lQ7SgUz.jpg

InAccordance
06-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Extreme energy!!!

ShiRen
06-19-2019, 03:33 AM
Battery is +15hp, easily measurable on the but dyno unlike fancy ignition systems

InAccordance
06-19-2019, 06:04 PM
Wouldn't know anything about those =P

ShiRen
06-28-2019, 03:51 AM
So uh, I cracked my carb. Right on top of the accel pump... no wonder it wasnt working... even after I began sealing it up with jb weld and seal all, because I cant fuck it up any worse than it already is, it still wants to find little holes and leak from the mating surfaces of the accel pump. I have it down to a very small leak and decided to drive it to work today because Ive used all the gas in my truck and the Accord was just filled up before I popped the carb off.

Been working extra hours too so I haven't done much to the car and won't for a little bit, next thing I need to do to it is put a driver side axle in it and thats not very exciting

InAccordance
06-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Axles are always exciting

ShiRen
06-29-2019, 09:14 AM
If I had known it was a sub $40 part I would have replaced the big bastard when I yanked the engine. I say that though and I also forgot the rear main seal.

InAccordance
06-29-2019, 06:20 PM
Doh!

Dr_Snooz
06-29-2019, 08:33 PM
Double doh!

ShiRen
07-06-2019, 01:03 PM
I picked out a set of wheels and tires on croooober, can't wait to post pics with them on

InAccordance
07-06-2019, 07:06 PM
awww yeaaaaaa

ShiRen
07-15-2019, 06:51 PM
New tires and wheels came in today, these are Work XSAs, 30 and 35mm offset (too little of a difference to care which wheel goes where, but the dishes are different) with 195/45r16 ATR Sports fresh off the boat from the motherland. Wow I really need to lower it now, I feel ashamed of my gap :kekeke:
https://i.imgur.com/cscxu3l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/23D4b93.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DVkbg8g.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/u9X8VLJ.jpg

Oh my God does this car steer quick, caster is going to have to get cranked, it turns in so fast I can barely keep it between the lines, but its so much smoother than the 10 year old Hankooks that looked like they were about to kill me.

InAccordance
07-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Rollin that gapplesauce from gapplebees

ShiRen
07-18-2019, 12:38 PM
Man I really need to get my ac recharged, this 100° weather with 110% humidity is a little much in this little untinted oven (fuck it, Im on break Im calling to get an appointment for tint too) I got es-12 to do it. tonight Im going to release the remaining freon into some balloons and pull the compressor that I didn't run without oil off the parts car and throw it on mine.

ShiRen
07-18-2019, 06:22 PM
Absolutely blows my mind what parts are still available for these cars. Techna-fit still carries steel brake lines, for almost any classic Honda for that matter, have some on the way. I'm also eyeballing that OBX header still listed on their site... but that will have to wait until I grab some ksport coils.

Meanwhile you can't even buy upper control arms for a 2g lude, I guess youre just fucked if you bend one in an accident, and Im just fucked if I want adjustable camber. It seems like hell will freeze over before any yard listed on car-part.com will email you back too, been trying to get a vigor sway bar for months.

InAccordance
07-18-2019, 06:53 PM
I lucked out the 2g lude arms I got but I paid more than they're reasonably worth.
Only ones I found after weeks of searching though so it is what it is.

ShiRen
07-19-2019, 03:45 AM
Where did you get yours? I think Im just going to have to keep emailing until someone from car-part.com replys and takes my damn money. Maybe I should hand my insurance man a little cash lol they might actually sell something to him.

InAccordance
07-20-2019, 04:35 PM
Ebay lol
They're legit ones from a junkyard seller.
Came off an '83.

ShiRen
07-21-2019, 11:50 AM
I will have to check then 🤔

In other news, ac is working like a champ on es12 refrigerant and I installed an oil pressure gauge. Im actually extremely impressed with how well my oil pump is performing, makes pressure immediately after starting, 30 at idle under ac/electrical load ~600rpm, 40-60 at driving rpm, 80 when you give it the beans.

Msd box is also shining again because Im 100% certain I couldn't get away with taking off and idling with the ac on without it lol

86ccord
07-25-2019, 07:26 AM
damn, wheels look nice!

ShiRen
08-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Ebay was a good call because I found a set of prelude arms and the top hats shane86 recommended. I was going to lower it last weekend but I wasnt able to get it on the rack... kind of a good thing now because I can have all this done and get it aligned.

ShiRen
08-26-2019, 06:19 AM
So, I couldn't keep the air out of my transmission and had to drive it a little over 100mi with presumably the input shaft bearing growling like mad... Going to let some air out and see if it stops, but I was curious, do the 3rd gen b20/b21 ludes trans fit the a20 or is it only the a18 2nd
gen trans? I dont like the gearing in the a2q6 and theyre kind of scarce anyway.

Might be a question better for preludepower, but Im mainly worried about the bellhousing matching, at least around the front and top

InAccordance
08-26-2019, 07:10 PM
3rd gen lude trans wont fit. a18 wont fit on an a20 either unless you change out the housing.
Only one from a lude that will is the SI model.
OR the gearbox off a 1st gen integra but good luck finding one of those.

ShiRen
08-27-2019, 03:35 PM
Good luck finding any of them because I put half a quart of oil in it and it still sounds like hell. Ruined a good trans. Really thinking about cutting my losses and buying a low milage fb rx7 on bringatrailer.com

Edit: Cooled off a bit and a friend came and looked at it. He thinks the clutch is blown up. Theres like 5k miles on the exedy kit smh, but Ill remove the clutch to assess the damage some weekend.

InAccordance
08-27-2019, 08:06 PM
What happened to the trans?

ShiRen
08-28-2019, 12:27 PM
Drove up to see family, bout 70mi from home, got to the city and went to do some shopping, when I left the first shop I noticed it sounded like the trans was full of nails. Decided to drive back because it was ok in 5th at constant throttle and I had no tools. Id heard the noise before, wasnt too bad then, just thought it was some clutch chatter like my rsx used to do. I was parked on a hill when I left that first shop and had to slip the clutch a lot to get out of there. It could be clutch, the noise comes and goes really randomly, stops if the trans isnt moving, but it was also kind of low on oil for some reason and it may not be happy about driving that far

Dr_Snooz
08-29-2019, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear about a new problem. The LX-i trans is geared slightly more toward performance, FWIW. Hope you get it worked out without spending a fortune.

ShiRen
08-30-2019, 06:28 AM
gearing overall isnt too bad, but that 3rd to 2nd gap its crazy, good way to blow an engine

And thats how you kill a wild ass crx on pikes peak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kYrnum4d7s

InAccordance
08-30-2019, 12:54 PM
The gearing in these cars always amuses me... 1 and 2 are super shirt then you hit 3rd which is ridiculously long for being a 3rd gear.

Fixedit
08-30-2019, 06:04 PM
Is the clutch very old? I wonder if it could be clutch disc springs loose, rattling against the flywheel bolts. Found that in the last 3g clutch job I did. Luckily it didn't round off the bolts very bad

InAccordance
08-30-2019, 06:29 PM
Just went through that, disc wasnt even 6 months old and two of the springs were popping out. Gouged the flywheel but luckily it wasnt on the friction surface.

ShiRen
09-02-2019, 06:59 AM
Yeah 3rd pulls ok, but dont downshift to 3rd on the highway unless you get off on disappointment.

My clutch is a brand new exedy. had like 5k miles on it.

ShiRen
05-19-2020, 08:18 AM
Good news! I ordered a flywheel and Exedy should be shipping me a new clutch kit free of charge, today. They just asked for my receipt and said they'd send it after seeing the clutch is 2 months out of warranty. I hope this is the problem because I am not taking it apart to diagnose it... I'll see when the old clutch is out lol.

My brother might take the car for a while though, he needs something to drive (I know right, what a wonderful, dependable vehicle). Should work out fine though, I will help him put on the boat load of new parts that are in the trunk, it'll be fun. I am a little worried about hill starting this thing with a beginner behind the wheel, and I am also worried about the cracked carb that I can't believe I haven't posted pictures of on here. My accel pump could straight up just break off, its patched with jb weld and that clear fuel proof sealant that eats paint for breakfast. I am a little hesitant to swap parts to my other carb because idk it might happen again because I'm crazy and I am pushing the stock carb to its absolute limit. I just don't want a fire... What better way to train a newbie than to throw a car at them and tell them to chase the fuel delivery issues though.

I'm still just blown away by Exedy's customer service. Seriously, they've earned a lifetime customer. No telling how long the kit I got from Rockauto had been sitting on a shelf because man I have got some parts from them that look just as old as the car itself lol.

ShiRen
05-19-2020, 10:54 AM
Lol found the pics of the giant glob on the side of my carb... They belong here.
https://i.imgur.com/64hOMfc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KANvawl.jpg

ShiRen
05-19-2020, 05:50 PM
Another update for today

I so went out and put a battery in her, started her up. She runs like the day she was parked, fuel leaks and all, oh and I guess the clutch cinder block. Seriously look at this: https://youtu.be/QTiX-xPZsIo

Since I had another carb I decided to do the worlds fastest vacuum, delete and swap them out. It still leaks! Seriously, why are these accel pumps such a pain in the ass. It might do with some bolt tightening, if all else fails I'm cracking the goop off the old carb and getting the new diaphragm out of it, hopefully that will seal it.

ShiRen
05-21-2020, 11:18 AM
I may have really caught the bug again, carburetors man, this is what they do to me.

New o rings in the accel pump fixed that leak, so maybe she will run happily without being a fire hazard. Pulled the intake off yesterday and I'm just fixing some stuff up. Oil pressure gauge line was leaking so I sealed that back up. My coolant crossover pipe o ring blew, went though all the trouble of sizing a new one (1 3/8 OD x 3/16 thick), before I ordered a pack of 50 off McMaster Carr I called the Honda dealer aaand they actually have it in stock part number 91314-634-000. That won't happen again. Then I just ordered an OBX header out of the blue too, shit header, but better (read: cooler) than stock, I need it. Also found the Vigor rear sway bar, again factory 52300-SL5-003, it was actually cheap, I already had poly bushings waiting to get one. I still have the self control to keep myself away from the Wilwood brakes and Ksport coilovers. My pockets are not that deep... but when this car is back in my hands after I pass the bug to my brother mark my words. I was looking for cam gears, which seem to no longer exist, even from Bisimoto, I noticed Bisi had a sale on thermal intake gaskets so I got one... Probably does literally nothing, but its stronger than paper lol... actually my intake was really hot removing it yesterday, so maybe.

I can't wait to get home and stare at the back of my engine and stuff, maybe I will put some of the goodies I bought a year ago on her. My flywheel and free clutch should all be there waiting for me too.

ShiRen
05-21-2020, 08:00 PM
I know I am barraging this thread with posts, but I am going places rn. I am really just tidying things up right now and putting on the parts that I've had for a year now.

Looking through all that I've got, big cv shaft, wheel bearings, clutch cable, fans, more headlights because the blinker fluid is overfull, stainless steel brake lines, fumoto oil drain valve, prelude upper control arms, KYB Excel-G shocks, and front extended top hats.
I was going to cut the springs, but they're shot from the darn cast iron engine. So I did a thing. I'm trying to get some Skunk2 519-05-1650 Lowering Springs off amazon. These are for a 4g civic and a decent price. I don't know if they will work, but they are the closest thing to fitting, they might just work on my custom struts. I don't have extended top hats for the rear, but I may not even get as much drop as they would in the civic. I'd like some input on this, but I bought from amazon for that return policy alone lol. Whatever works out my car is coming back strong.

Here is some pics of today
https://i.imgur.com/bM2BZZ0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kRe62oK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DlChjyz.jpg

Dr_Snooz
05-23-2020, 08:07 PM
Lol found the pics of the giant glob on the side of my carb...

I LOLed 3x seeing your accel pump! :rofl:

I noticed Bisi had a sale on thermal intake gaskets so I got one... Probably does literally nothing,

I don't know about the carbs, but on the FI cars, those paper gaskets fail routinely, just for shits and giggles. They create nasty vacuum leaks when they do that are nearly impossible to fix with the engine still in the car. I wish I had a better gasket on mine...

I was going to cut the springs, but they're shot from the darn cast iron engine.

How do you know when springs are shot? I mean, aside from them breaking.

I'm trying to get some Skunk2 519-05-1650 Lowering Springs off amazon. These are for a 4g civic and a decent price.

Keep us posted on how that goes.

I LOLed again looking at your headlight. At some point, I'm going to rip out my headlights, wiring and all, and re-engineer it around some H4 housings. I'm going to put it on a relay instead of going through that combo switch that cruds up, craps out and is ungodly expensive from Rock Auto. There are some fog lights in the Red Car's future too.

ShiRen
05-24-2020, 09:13 PM
So my springs are shot just because of how much they have settled, drivers side is a lot lower than the passenger side, they are going to differ in length and tension, they are out of spec. Shortening them isn't going to fix the issue.

The headlights that I bought have a cheap bulb holder in them, like a spring clip instead of a twist lock. I don't think theyre that bad though, I have another set I am just going to seal up. The problem is they sit at an angle that they normally wouldn't in other cars. I don't recall them filling up if I just drove in the rain with the lights on. So if you redesign a bit of you headlights, I'd do something to keep the water away from the bulbs. I have another set of popups I am going to put in and I will attempt to do whatever I can to seal them. Also if you look back in this thread I put relays in for the headlights... but it doesn't work how you think it should, I am able to get drls working, but the hi/low beams did not like being on a relay. I've slept since then and I want to say I had no low beams and the hi beams was actually using both filaments. The relays are still in there I think I can switch the wires back and try again sometime.

ShiRen
05-31-2020, 05:56 AM
She runs! No noises, new carb is way happier, shifts great with Delo 15w-40. Im real happy I don't have to start looking for a new trans

ShiRen
05-31-2020, 06:21 PM
Hey Snooz, if you look back a couple pages you can check out the wiring for how I did my headlights on relays. They work now! Turns out one of the relays I used for my brights was bad, changed it out and they work. Had to mess with the combo switch some more, aside from a bit of varnish, the spring in the little pin that puts pressure down on the rocker that switches the lows/highs had collapsed a little bit, so I stretched it a tad and put some cardboard down in one end of the hole, the highs work every time now. Still have to rely on a 30 year old combo switch, but there is no current going through it no matter what kind of bulb you are running, should be much more reliable. I think the stock high beams are 40w iirc, thats 3.3A though tiny wires and copper contacts, my relay probably knocks that down to .2A or less, thats even less than leds.

Car is on cinder blocks now because I put my techna fit brake likes on and found the RR wheel cylinder's bleeder had seized and Oreillys cant get one until tues :banghead:

ShiRen
06-08-2020, 06:28 AM
Haven't posted a pic in a hot minute, so here she is.
https://i.imgur.com/IfD3YLl.jpg

I will regret taking it to work later... like when I go to lunch and its hot as balls.
Probably going to park it back in the garage tonight and get to work on the hvac while I am still getting suspension parts together. I am going to comb the condenser, replace some vent seals, and clean the evaporator. As far as suspension goes, I had to order some coilover sleeves for the rear, the springs are too short, but I am really not worried about the rear shocks, my god they have a ton of travel, I will just shorten the bump stop. I am about to break even with a Skunk2 coilover sleeve kit, but I didn't want those super stiff springs. Depending on how far the shocks can extend once they are installed I may need some extension limiting straps. I would really like to replace all these old suspension bushings, but that looks like it will get expensive if I don't opt for pressing in new ones. I'd like some Cheddas parts, but that's not in the budget rn. Oh well, nothing is blown at least.

Oldblueaccord
06-08-2020, 09:32 AM
That parking job! Good thing you got curb clearance. If I parked my Camaro like that id need a whole front end.

ShiRen
06-09-2020, 04:27 AM
There's no curb there lol. sometimes I drive up on the concrete and I could park another Accord behind mine, you still probably wouldn't be able to see the car between the trucks that park beside me. I am self conscious about my ground clearance though, don't rub it in.

I pulled the housings off the evaporator last night. Not only did that suck and took me forever to find the self tapping screws that hold it together around the pipes, but I don't know how I got any air blowing through the vents at all with a mouse nest on top of a layer of slime. My AC ought to work a tad better now. From now on, that is a part I am going to replace if I ever drain my freon. If I could use r-134a I wouldn't have even thought twice.

ShiRen
06-09-2020, 06:53 PM
Wow things go by real fast on this car... Went to go work on the AC this afternoon aaand theres a puddle of water under the front end. So this is radiator 2, lasted about 100mi after finding the lower tank was leaking on the stocker, so I pulled this one off the parts car. Welp, the lower tank blew out at its seams again, so I yanked the head. I'm not about to throw a radiator at it and not make sure that my head gasket wasn't blown. It only took an hour and I had bald eagles screamin through me, so I sent it.

It didn't look blown to me, but cyl 1 exhaust valve is pink and the piston has a tiny bit of rust on it, so it might have been leaking.

https://i.imgur.com/NxVbjdD.jpg

Dr_Snooz
06-16-2020, 02:06 PM
If I could use r-134a I wouldn't have even thought twice.

Please tell me it has 134 now. You didn't go to all the work of pulling the evaporator and not convert to 134.

Did you?

ShiRen
06-17-2020, 06:44 PM
I can't convert it to r134a because of the keihin compressor. I did not pull the evaporator, I did it all in the car, and it is charged with es12a

Dr_Snooz
06-18-2020, 12:02 PM
I see your point. ES12 is a good choice. How does it work?

Dr_Snooz
06-18-2020, 01:32 PM
The only sucky part is that your Keihin is gonna leak it all out and you'll have to buy more. You'll do that about a half dozen times before you realize how expensive the ES12 is, and how hard to obtain.

ShiRen
06-18-2020, 06:05 PM
Actually its held in there for a year and I have no noticeable performance drop. Now the seals on my AC gauges did go to shit in a years time, but I bought a case of this stuff, itll last me a while. I will swap in a Denso system with a new expansion valve, evaporator, condenser, and accumulator once I find a Denso compressor and the lines for it... I really just plan on body swapping at some point and I am leaning on a prelude or an Aerodeck, I will bank on an Aerodeck having one.

ShiRen
06-24-2020, 08:05 PM
Small break from the Accord... I just traded my Si in on this baby. Worst decision I've ever made and I am so glad I did it.
https://i.imgur.com/ZlpigdS.jpg
Kachow

Dr_Snooz
06-24-2020, 08:16 PM
No pic?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh snap! Nice!

Oldblueaccord
06-28-2020, 03:11 PM
Small break from the Accord... I just traded my Si in on this baby. Worst decision I've ever made and I am so glad I did it.
https://i.imgur.com/ZlpigdS.jpg
Kachow

NOW WHERE TALKING!

Your next Snooze.

ShiRen
07-06-2020, 10:46 AM
I just took it to TN and back... already put 1500mi on the car. Great daily, however its a 10mpg cut from the Si I had, if that matters.
Hopefully I can get back to the Accord pretty soon, I plan on driving it a bit more and balance the miles between the two. I will 100% look like an insane person driving a hodge podge race car and a brand new race car every day, my only argument against that is they both have AC.

Oldblueaccord
07-06-2020, 03:18 PM
I just took it to TN and back... already put 1500mi on the car. Great daily, however its a 10mpg cut from the Si I had, if that matters.
Hopefully I can get back to the Accord pretty soon, I plan on driving it a bit more and balance the miles between the two. I will 100% look like an insane person driving a hodge podge race car and a brand new race car every day, my only argument against that is they both have AC.

I drive my Camaro ZL1 1LE and my Honda in the same week....guys at work are used to me by now.

Dr_Snooz
07-07-2020, 06:00 PM
NOW WHERE TALKING!

Your next Snooze.

Wait, WHAT?!?!
https://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i-w600/-whaaat-2.jpg

I'm still nursing the payment for my truck. Stupid truck I had to buy for a dumb job that laid me off a few months after I bought it.

Dr_Snooz
07-07-2020, 06:03 PM
But I'm not bitter about it at all.

https://cdn2.justwineapp.com/assets/article/2017/05/bitter-beer-face-gif-video-meme-keystone-light-beer-lager-commercial-1200x630.jpg

ShiRen
09-07-2020, 06:57 PM
Welp, I got the varus, then being cooped up in my house made me get back out to the garage and finish the old Accord! Just in time too because I tracked my ctr the day before I came down with a fever and killed my tires... A couple weeks ago too Bisimoto restocked their cam gears, so I jumped on that and had it to put on this weekend.
https://i.imgur.com/BTDSiMA.jpg
I chopped off my stock rad mounts and welded them to the underside of the core support to mount my Skunk2 rad... InAccordance I'd really like to see how you mounted that sucker :lol:. I was able to use the stock upper mounts after moving the pegs on the rad, I would not have been able to lean it back and clear the AC compressor, so that had to be done. Fits like a glove now!... well ok, the lower rad hose is really tight on the crossmember, but I think its fine. In other news, I chopped the big ugly fittings off the obx header and stuck it on. It was really as plain as that, I was expecting it to start rough for the first time in months, but it fired as soon as the carb filled with fuel, I just had to fix some massive fuel leaks, I think the float and the o rings in the needle and seat had enough of this world and just decided to yeet fuel through every orifice in the carb. Yeah, I think the float itself actually filled with gas, good thing I had another, it basically turned the secondary into a swimming pool.
https://i.imgur.com/6eVmKQy.jpg
Might track this car next week. I want to get the new suspension and brakes in, but the ctr will need tires because its going to take a while to restore all 4 corners, I should recruit some help so I don't tucker out half way like I always do. I am able to start on the bike carbs though, I pulled the intake off the parts car today and cut the back half off, it'll need a bit of welding to adapt it to the bike carbs. Hopefully I can make do with the jets that are in it. Swapping intakes and carbs is ezpz with a reusable gasket and nothing in the way, so doesn't bother me too much if I have to swap back and forth a few times. I am also going to send off my other cam to Delta and get a regrind, I can degree my cam now that I have this sweet cam gear. What profile should I get though? I want like a step under the 272, I don't really like how the 272 gets "on cam" at like 4k, with this stock carb at least I don't want it to be any lazier at around town speed. If I did not have the MSD box itd be a bear to dive around at low speed. Maybe a 272 will be ok with MSD or with a 2deg advance. Stock powerband is already 3k-5k, but up around 6k really feels like winding it out, I don't want to screw with valve springs because I didn't refresh the valve seats or anything while I had the head off. Maybe one day I will, but I don't see the point if stock springs are safe with a mild cam and bolt ons, and the head holds good compression, once I go digging into that next will be piston rings and I really don't care for that. I only love this engine for her top end (don't tell her I said that).

stat1K
09-15-2020, 07:48 AM
looking good dude, i forgot how much room is in the bay on these! keep it up man, i love the progress.

ShiRen
09-27-2020, 12:48 PM
More progress has been made, I have not exhausted myself yet, haven't stopped working on it since I got it running.

I got my 272 regrind cam back from Delta, this is an increase to a .415 lift. After I installed it I was surprised that I did not lose any low end, but as far as I could tell duration and lsa are the same as the stock cam. What I did notice though was this mfer wanted to pull strong up to 7k rpm. I really do not need to float a valve and my trans REFUSES to shift above 6k. I am not sure what to do about that, maybe I need better fluid, but I don't know if this trans is particularly sensitive to fluid change. I advanced the cam about 4deg, this seriously gave it some torque, I might go more. Compression read 150-160 on all cyls and went up to 170ish on cyl 4 after I advanced the cam, spark timing is about 12deg, on 91 no ethanol there is still no pinging yet. I am curious what everyone has their spark timing set at, particularly you weber guys. I am at the limit of my carb now, I feel like I haven't gained much top end at all with this regrind, but it will be a huge supplement to my bike carbs and changing the timing was more effective.

I want to put out a PSA now. The next time you have your intake manifold off, if you are installing an oil filter sandwich plate, if you ever have the engine out, or simply changing your oil, do yourself a favor and replace the oil filter housing gasket. It was hell getting to it, luckily my intake is very easy to get off, but I think I pulled a fossil off the back on my engine. Funnily enough I have stopped hemorrhaging oil from a mysterious place on the back of the engine. Part number is Honda #15205-PC6-014, you will have to get it from a Honda parts wholesaler, the dealerships will not have it. Majestic Honda did not have it, I am not sure how many discontinued parts they hold since they are a dealer, but I am worried these are in short supply, BUY ONE WHILE YOU CAN.

I got my 4th gen Accord rear sway bar on this afternoon. It fits perfectly, well almost, it is about an inch too wide. I put 1/8" shims behind the brackets and that allowed me to bolt it to the car, but the bushing kind of sits on the curved part of the bar. If you use a poly bushing you may have to space the brackets away from the subframe more. I used adjustable end links for an Integra I think. They are a tad on the short side, but I got the preload set no problem. I think you can use the stock ones, but jesus they are stiff, and not in any way that will help you. If I need more length I will just put a longer bolt on top and add more washers between the link and the trailing arm, there are 3 washers there now, this takes angle out of the links.
https://i.imgur.com/Pem9SQE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZXqkcZw.jpg

Next on the list I need to seal up the stupid slip joints on my OBX header, I am going to try copper rtv and band clamps. Band clamps are already on it so I just have to separate it enough to smear the sealant on the tubes. I am trying to keep from welding them. I also bought a Borla Pro XS muffler... but its 2.25", so I am just going to get the back half of the exhaust made 2.25" instead of returning my muffler. The engine seemed to really respond to being run open headers, it just straight up ran better, idled smoother. The header collector and the stainless pipe after it are 2", but the extra 1/4" in the bends and the muffler should really help.

Dr_Snooz
10-02-2020, 01:48 PM
Sounds like good progress.

You can always hillbilly the filter oring with RTV. Not ideal but you can make it work.

Could you pack the slip joint with fiberglass mat?

ShiRen
10-03-2020, 04:45 AM
I wouldn't want to fill put RTV on the filter housing because of the o ring groove and I'd hate to accidentally block off one of those passages.

The copper RTV did fix the header... it doesn't look the best, but it was the easiest to to because I didn't have to take the joints all the way apart. The tricky part is, the header hugs the lip of the oil pan so if you take it apart youre not getting it back on without a friend and some persuasion, but the joints seal tight around the inside edges, thank god because I couldn't get my finger in there, but there is a huge gap on the front and on the back. Slipped them apart about an inch, slathered the RTV all the way around each pipe the best I could, them slipped them together and tried to push more into the gaps. If you plan on using fiberglass mat then do it the first time you install it and prepare for it to be tight.

ShiRen
10-11-2020, 01:26 PM
Uh, so I fired my car up today and it started running funny. No issues idling or low speed, but around 3k the tach starts jumping, revving higher and it feels like it putters out and driving feels like a wheel is out of balance. I am kind of assuming the distributor pickup is going out. I have a Hitachi dizzy at home, I will probably have to make that work. I am really hoping it is not the msd box.

Any suggestions? I am kind of leaning towards going megajolt

ShiRen
10-14-2020, 03:58 PM
Got the distributor fixed, I had a fairly new reman hitachi from my parts car. Ordered a cap gasket and a brass cap and rotor because my msd has really done a number to the aluminum one on the old TEC. I think I have really talked myself into a megajolt, Ive already started buying parts. I need to go to a parts yard anyway because other things have not gone so well.

GORE WARNING!!! STOP READING IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT!!!

Yeah its really as bad as it looks
I opened the cluster the other night to desolder the BRAKE LIGHT warning, put it back together and the fuel gauge pegs. Opened it up again and checked the voltage, looks ok just needs the needle adjusted I think. The whole shaft pulled out of the needle and it snapped when I tried to pull it out. I think the same thing happened to the coolant gauge before I opened it, I think Ive got the needle in a little better place... or it could be totally whack, idk. Pretty sure my low fuel light works... at least it worked before.

My plan is to swap in eg/ek gauges, looks like they fit, if not its close enough to modify. I need to get a wheel speed sensor somehow though. Surely I can use the trans speedo output, it just has to drive something I can get a reading from.

Dr_Snooz
10-18-2020, 02:55 PM
The whole shaft pulled out of the needle and it snapped when I tried to pull it out.

Oh gee. I mangled the gauges on my '76 Accord waaaaay back when I had it. I haven't touched any needles since.

I need to get a wheel speed sensor somehow though.

Can you not use the magnetic pulser in the speedo?

ShiRen
10-19-2020, 04:55 AM
Can you not use the magnetic pulser in the speedo?
Not if I remove the speedo cable lol. Whole point of an EK speedo is to get rid of the cable.

If Civic gauges fit, which I think they should, it should be a lot easier to get parts. My main worry is the fuel and coolant gauges don't share the same centerline as the Accord.

Its been a while since I posted any body shots, not that there is much to see, but I was running around like this for quite a while. No bumpers, 1 white fender and headlight.
https://i.imgur.com/T3wvE1Z.jpg

But yesterday I did a whole lot of wrenching (read: hammering) and now it looks like this!
https://i.imgur.com/YsPTZFL.jpg

89 facelift complete. Its just the front bumper and lights/reflectors though. Kept the 87 side mouldings and rear bumper, they're smooth, I don't like the facelift as much. Not everything is 100% straight and I am not getting this car a frame alignment. I've got to fix the rust on the quarter panels, but after that it is ready for paint and it will look pretty good. I am not going to hold onto this body forever, but I want to get the learning out of the way on something that is ok to mess up on.

Oldblueaccord
10-19-2020, 04:00 PM
Looking really good!

ShiRen
10-23-2020, 05:16 AM
Been driving the Type R all week, but that's let me get a good bit of work done on the Accord in between a few joy rides. Firstly, I got my Borla muffler on and 2.25" pipe from the header back, the old boom tube had the baffles come unwelded in it because this car has too much sauce. Sounds great imo. Recently got back on instagram and posted a vid on there if you're interested, @car_weeb.

I got a bunch of parts in that I am not ready to share yet, but yesterday I did something I should have done a long time ago.
https://i.imgur.com/xvFCYNF.jpg
I cut the sides off my spare air cleaner top. Wow, it made a difference. Whoda thought that would choke my carb down? I had noticed my afr would drop to 10 when I went from off to light throttle, and it would stumble hard in the lower rpm when the secondaries open. The secondary actuation is still not smooth, but before it would fall on its face, it was so bad it would nose dive and unbalance the car if you hit it mid corner!

I got my cooling fans working. Turns out the temp switch that was previously in the radiator will fit in the thermostat housing. The thread is wrong, it is not BSPT and it seals with an o ring, but it is the same diameter thread as this weird vacuum thing.
Yes, I have no learned how to attach smaller images from imgur, please clap. By fixing this I learned my car is running extremely cool, no wonder why my temp gauge never moved. I was actually about to run a 160deg tstat in it, but idk. I want to get as much heat out of the head as I can, all I care about is my winter heat. Works fine right now even though it is 20-40deg below normal operating temp, actually based on my findings the car starts to run normally well before I see my temp gauge start to rise, so probably 140-160, it just needs to heat soak a little bit. I don't see that it will run any cooler than that. What I don't want is the normal temp tstat to open and close constantly under normal operation, trapping the pressure in the block. I am assuming the fans kick on at 220 also, not sure if thats bad or not if I am running lower than normal temps, I would think its fine on an iron block.

Lastly I just want to share this: I have got the part number for the passenger side axle seal. You can still get it from Honda actually, but I got this National seal from Oreillys a while back, where it was listed as a seal for the AT, its the same seal. Honda 91206-PC8-005 or National 1036.

ShiRen
10-26-2020, 05:05 AM
I finally did it. I cured my wheel gap
https://i.imgur.com/asy6wny.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mSmgopi.jpg

For civic springs and oem shocks I think this went pretty well. The front end of the car is perfect, I have had no problems with the damping and the front does not roll or hit bumps hard. The rear springs might have some issues, the spring rate is 112/485 lb/in and the 112lb part is collapsed with the suspension loaded. I think stock spring rate is 170/387, but I'm not 100% sure, but now that I have the desired ride height for the dampers (I had to add coilovers sleeves) I think I can cut the tangental end of the stock springs and try those. The Skunk2 springs are too short anyway, I had to lower them down to the point where the spring pops out when you jack up the car. This is only stage 1 btw, kind of regret buying these parts now because I fully intend on buying ksports in the near future, but it lets me set a good baseline and I know a ballpark of the ideal spring rate for this car. I am thinking 600f/450r to 700f/450r, I think 485 is too much in the rear and I wouldn't want to go too much more up front, but 600/450 is still a little light for the total weight of the car, assuming min weight is between 2100-2300lbs. About the time I buy ksports I will buy a set of 8.0+32 Buddy Club P1s with 225/45r16 Yokohama Advan A052s, its gonna get serious.

I didn't replace any of my suspension bushings or put an alignment in it, but I have noticed some grip issues. On hard low speed corners the front inside wheel will lose grip or hop, I can feel it pull the steering wheel, I think this is mostly due to engine torque and the strut rod bushings probably have some give. The rear is a little loose, it rotates well, but I think there is some mechanical grip issues. I need to check that I am not getting any toe change before deciding anything there, my assumption is there is probably a lot lol.

On a side note, I need to know 2 things. How do I remove the blasted rear seat in a sedan, and are the drum brakes auto adjusting? If they are auto adjusting how do I get them to adjust, do I need to go reverse in a parking lot and slam the brakes a few times?

Oldblueaccord
10-26-2020, 10:42 AM
My rear seat the bolt to unhook it is not dead middle of the car but off to the passenger side. Honda joke I guess.

The rear drums are consider "self adjusting" but I never had a Honda do anything. I adjust my brakes when I do and oil change as a habit. I like the brake pedal nice and high and the drum brakes dictate the pedal height. You can cheat and run your e brake up a click or two...or three. Obviously test that the car still rolls with it on.

Im a firm believer that when the rear brakes fall out of adjustment the long pedal travel effects the bias ALOT.

ShiRen
10-26-2020, 11:45 AM
I am a little reluctant to go digging my hand in the seat crack, but that does help. All my other Hondas the seat bottom just pulled out if you yanked on it then you could see the back rest bolts, but I guess that is not the case for this car?

This is the real problem with drum brakes, the stupid adjusters. I should really buy new adjusters thats half the reason I haven't messed with them, its hard to do the screwdriver ritual on 30yo parts. Ive got manual brakes so I can really feel when the brake pressure builds up... theres a little play in the hydraulics, then its stiff, but boy it does not stop. At that point it feels like I am only stopping with the drums, I know because Ive pulled the e brake before a corner to see if it increases rotation, but I can barely feel the drag. I am assuming that is a bad prop valve, if I press any harder it stops fine, fast enough to panic stop behind a Miata at least.
I noticed yesterday after I drove it hard that I barely had an e brake when I pulled back in the driveway, and I have known one drum is looser than the other since I put my braided lines on.

Oldblueaccord
10-26-2020, 11:54 AM
I pull the drums and adjust and keep sliding them on until theres drag and really you cant get the drum off with out effort...when you rotate the drum by hand you hear brake drag..but it turns. Good for about 5k miles.

I never really found a brake shoe adjust spoon that worked that great on Hondas.

I dunno how many cars people have brought to me to work on that the rear brakes are no where near the drum. Theyll cheat and adjust all the hand brake linkages but that doenst make the brake shoes any closer to the drum!

ShiRen
10-26-2020, 12:04 PM
Im taking the rear trailing arm assembly off my parts car tonight and I will be figuring out how to adapt disk brakes from a 4g or integra, I'm tired of this.

Oldblueaccord
10-26-2020, 12:21 PM
is the SEi set up that hard to find?

I thought about it but was never sure if it added weight or better braking or any of that.

ShiRen
10-26-2020, 01:03 PM
It is absolutely hard to find. I have actually got a plan here, I'll make a post here in a bit. I think I could actually get 3g prelude brakes to work, might be able to find one, or buy brackets off preludepower, but I would kind of like Integra calipers.

ShiRen
11-30-2020, 09:55 AM
Car has been at a little bit of a standstill because winter is depressing and my poly rear control arm bushings pissed me off. If you don't really read into it you don't know that the bushings are actually for a 5th gen accord and they don't fit in the arms. There was a post on here, in the thread about poly bushings saying you have to keep the sleeves for the old bushings, well I got the bushings pressed out at a shop and didn't know I needed to keep the old ones. Its $100 to get new rubber ones and I'm a little bent over the shop charged me $70 to run the press (they charged me $35 for an exhaust, so explain that), I don't really know what route I want to go... And I need new trailing arm bushings bad. Good luck getting the stock bushings out of the front control arms too, I have new arms, I may leave those for now, the strut rod bushings matter the most. At this point I am really wishing my garage had power and heat.

I might have a little bit of motivation soon though because I found a black friday deal on the Buddy Club SFs I wanted... bout to have some thick ass 225/50r15s next summer. I will need them for next summer because there is a freaking road coarse being built 15mi from my house, like what the hell. I am not going to flog the ctr on a 4mi coarse every weekend, those tires are too damn expensive and 18s will run me twice as much as I just paid for these BCs. I am slightly excited to mess with my rear spring set up some more, I will have to grab some swifts or eibachs if cutting the stock spring don't work. My Skunk2 springs are not going to cut it, my back end needs to drop. Its going to annoy me to no end that I can not fix the roll center without a custom trailing arm though, sometimes I wish this car was a 6th gen civic hatch.

Oldblueaccord
11-30-2020, 01:44 PM
Most idiots on lowered cars run there roll center in the dirt any way I would sweat it to much.

maybe concentrate on the garage upgrade. That's what I did last few years,upgraded wiring heat and air etc. I used a wood stove for years before that made it tolerable.

Tip on bushings on cars real quick since I have made a few is the stock suspension parts are made for RUBBER bushing so the tolerance of the metal part is all over. So if you measure one hole at 1.000' and make the bushing with a press fit of .007" or what ever youll find the metal parts are like plus or minus .020" so one place its presses in one place it falls thru.

Kinda hurts your feelings when you make 10 at a time.....

ShiRen
11-30-2020, 02:11 PM
After looking at it, it might be possible to cut the shock mount off the knuckle and put the shock mount on a plate mounted on the bolts holding the spindle to the trailing arm... that is going to be an experiment for much later, I can't run the car so low the front can only get 15deg of steering angle before destroying the fender, I don't know how to get the grip of a JTCC car and I don't think I have the balls to drive it like that, the roll center might not get too bad. The front roll center can be fixed with ball joints.

I was thinking about the tolerance on the bushings... Surely they're all pretty close, if I make one the size of a stock bushing, but I'll be careful, I only have one set and that's all I want to buy. The tolerance is all over the place because these rear control arms are just freakin stamped steel. I really want Cheddas arms, but they're $400 and you're in the dark for weeks after you place an order. I don't want to talk bad about the guy, but its almost scary sometimes, and I drool over his parts. I am sure he has a pretty big lead time and parts are hard to source right now.

ShiRen
12-10-2020, 06:13 AM
I'll just leave this here

Buddy club SF 15x8+32JJ, will mount a 225/45r15, probably Nankang CR-1. I don't think fitment can be any tighter than this lol.
At a later date I might get a pair of 15x7+35s and 205/50r15s for the rear to run a reverse stagger, but I got a deal on a full set :rockon:

Oldblueaccord
12-10-2020, 09:35 AM
I think the Cheddars arms are in stock?

ShiRen
12-10-2020, 02:34 PM
Maybe, I don't know the whole deal. Maybe someone on fb has them, but I would like to hear about them before I cough up that much money. The stock arms suck though, thin ass stamped steel. If I make some down the road they will take the poly bushings that came in my kit and probably be boxed aluminum... that is a lot of effort though.

ShiRen
01-06-2021, 10:01 AM
So Ive been driving the car lately. The rear control arm bushings really had me in a bind for a bit. Cam bolts for toe adjustments had to be replaced with oem Honda bolts... which do not actually fit and I have to use a washer to keep the nut from bottoming on the shank. Slapped some new adjusters in the drum brakes aaand I noticed there was practically no wear on my drums. Turns out the wheel cylinders I replaced got the pistons cocked in the bores, so they didn't really move. God drums suck. Whatever, my brake pedal is slightly less sketchy and the parking brake works awesome. I haven't driven it hard recently to see if the brakes feel ok going into a corner, I really don't expect them to be very good until I change the prop valve.

It is getting put back up for a couple days for a health checkup because I think it left another damn spot on my driveway even though it didn't leak a single drop while it was up on stands. I also need to give it an actual alignment before I give myself a reason to buy tires.

ShiRen
01-15-2021, 06:45 AM
Here are the oem bolts I got for the rear subframe.
Top is the eccentric bolts that are too long
Bottom is the bolts that hold the long control arm in the subframe.

ShiRen
02-18-2021, 06:46 AM
The winter has not been kind to my Accord. First my grandpa put the bucket of his front loader tractor into my tail light while scraping my driveway, but I popped the hood yesterday and found out that I have a coolantcicle inside my radiator... Fuck. Dunno how I am going to get it into my garage to thaw, hopefully by the time I am able to get to it next week it will have been warm enough to thaw it enough to get it in there. I hope it doesn't require open heart surgery, or worse, a new radiator, but I don't see that it burst anywhere. I really, really hate the cooling system in this car, it sucks balls. Wondering if I should convert it to an electric water pump, then a thermostat housing will be next on the list. I will need to evaluate how well the coolant flows through the head and see if anything needs redirected.

Does anyone have pictures of the block with the water pump off?

I have electricity in my garage now, I am getting married this sunday, within a month I should be able to really get the ball rolling getting some work done on this car if the freeze doesn't set me back. I wish I could have just drove it this winter because its terrifying driving a ctr in a foot of snow, even if the traction control is fantastic, but I can't tell if I killed my water pump again on the Accord and it tracks like a wet noodle on ice, its getting Blizzaks next year.

Oldblueaccord
02-18-2021, 09:02 AM
Ah HAH married!

Well hope the Accords not froze up totally. The only car I froze up I just started it and ran for like 30 secs and let it sit a few minutes until it thawed out. Might have to slip the belt off the water pump if its locked.

ShiRen
02-18-2021, 09:45 AM
Yep, getting married on our birthday... happened real fast too, next thing I know I'll be retired at this rate.

I think its going to warm up a bit, maybe it will turn over. Gonna be real hard to just let it sit and idle lol, she does not like this cold, was just getting started on my megajolt to fix that too.

Oldblueaccord
02-20-2021, 12:16 PM
open the hood get some sunshine on it. Just run it 30 seconds at a time and let it sit a few minutes,you might have to do that 20 times. maybe warm up some coolant in the house and try adding it to the radiator to help defrost everything. Just hope the freeze plugs havent popped.

ShiRen
02-23-2021, 05:54 AM
Im honestly more concerned about the radiator than the freeze plugs lol, if I have to pull the engine again Ill just do a few "while I'm in there" jobs... tbf, this car is a never ending "while I'm in there" I just do one thing and drive it half ass taken apart for several months.

I'll dig into it real soon, its pretty nice out and the snow has melted off the hood.

Dr_Snooz
02-24-2021, 08:19 PM
tbf, this car is a never ending "while I'm in there" I just do one thing and drive it half ass taken apart for several months.

He thinks this makes him special lol. All the passenger side trim is missing from mine presently.

ShiRen
02-25-2021, 05:39 AM
Ah nah, its good to know I'm not alone. And now I'm not so jealous that your car looks nice now that I know that it has an ugly side... just don't put it next to mine, I try to block out how damn ugly my car is.

ShiRen
03-24-2021, 04:13 AM
Good news! The "water pump leak" I thought I had was actually the cam seal that I could pull out with my fingers! It only took me 3 weeks and 30mins of actually working on the car to change, gosh I'd change 5 of those before I'd change 1 water pump. In other news I replaced my blinker stalk since the old one broke off, had to rewire it for my DRLs and headlight relays, also found out the reason my right headlight was not working was it was not plugged in... Silly me. I drove it to work today... How long do you give me before I take it apart and wait a month to put it back together again? I still haven't aligned the damn thing even.

Dr_Snooz
03-28-2021, 07:42 PM
LOL. If it weren't a project, it wouldn't be fun. Glad you got it running, for now.

ShiRen
03-29-2021, 04:56 AM
I have lights, a HUGE workbench in my garage now (3 4x8 sheets of plywood), and a wife to help me keep my shit picked up, so hopefully progress actually starts moving on projects once they get pulled in there. We will see, I still have a miata with the from of the engine pulled off sitting in there, and the donor car which will need cut up with a grinder and the engine pulled before it is yanked out of its resting place with a roll back. I keep offering my wife to drive that car but she keeps saying no :(

Dr_Snooz
03-29-2021, 07:38 PM
You have to restore the car BEFORE offering it to her to drive lol.

Good luck with the projects.

ShiRen
04-02-2021, 05:06 AM
She called my brown car ugly so she should be grateful of my offer no matter how much scrap Ive filled the other car with and no matter how many parts Ive vultured off it!

ShiRen
04-22-2022, 04:52 AM
Its been a year, but don't worry I have not abandoned the accord, in fact I am fixing it up to daily as I plan to sell my type R. Life is happening fast, I am moving and going back to school in a couple months, so that is my deadline. There is a lot of work ahead, but I don't think its too much because I am getting some help. It went under the knife last year to fit the new suspension and redo the brakes, but that is all changed. Here is the todo list now:
Prelude control arms - done
Lower control arms - done
Poly strut rod bushings - done
Front wheel bearings - done
Front ball joints - done
Fully depowered and rebuilt steering rack - done
Civic tie rods - done
Rear wheel bearings - not yet
Stripped and cleaned interior - done
Brake lines - removed but not installed
Wilwood master cylinder - mounted
Wilwood prop valve - still figuring out where to put it
Heater core - replaced
New fuel tank - soon to be replaced
Dash wiring - I don't want to think about it
Rust - I don't want to think about that either, but I will be getting help
Cam seal - needs hondabond

My wife is also going to help be with the interior when it goes back together, it will look pretty nice when its done. As for the rust, when I pulled the interior I found large holes where the rear seat pan meets the fenders, not much on the floor pan, but a bit where it meets the rockers... which might be a creative fix. I am wondering if it is viable to remove the rockers and put back in a stiffener and use 5th/6th gen civic side skirts to cover up the area.

ShiRen
12-19-2022, 01:43 PM
If you have been wondering what has been going on with this turd...
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/8d46c944c-26de5d/NoFQAFqZtCPu/1F4j4vSV1IOZUG6JVIzt8MnLCex5gDJkKs6GWKdf.jpg
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/8d46c944c-26de5d/UqV11M0N5xoD/rpch2gXvCu9ek19q5tBleN1jbO4TKy54BjBmBIby.jpg
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/8d46c944c-26de5d/7meaKyVhvX0j/SZGmQ7ulr8vd8Tz5SIBvYZAVV42WtyS1sozSUyJH.jpg
Since I moved in July the car has been sitting, but winter break gives me a chance to fix this crap. So, let's see how far we get in the next few weeks.

Oldblueaccord
12-22-2022, 08:49 PM
If you have been wondering what has been going on with this turd...
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/8d46c944c-26de5d/NoFQAFqZtCPu/1F4j4vSV1IOZUG6JVIzt8MnLCex5gDJkKs6GWKdf.jpg
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/8d46c944c-26de5d/UqV11M0N5xoD/rpch2gXvCu9ek19q5tBleN1jbO4TKy54BjBmBIby.jpg
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/8d46c944c-26de5d/7meaKyVhvX0j/SZGmQ7ulr8vd8Tz5SIBvYZAVV42WtyS1sozSUyJH.jpg
Since I moved in July the car has been sitting, but winter break gives me a chance to fix this crap. So, let's see how far we get in the next few weeks.

Thats alot of work man...Good luck!

ShiRen
12-25-2022, 05:37 PM
The big holes were filled before Christmas. Some of the smaller holes near the rockers I will probably just fill with seam sealer. I think the plan for the rockers is to replace them with a heavily bolted on piece of tubing and then put on 4g skirts over top... Maintaining or improving the structure is important, but it's so hard to weld on this thing, the metal is so thin and there is a lot of layers, blowing holes is bound to happen

ShiRen
12-27-2022, 06:34 PM
This week I started the plumbing (fuel and brakes). This is because the holes around the rear seat meant removing the tank and also I have a new wilwood master and prop valve, so front/rear split, all new brake lines, that is much easier done with the tank out of the way. So after all this I can put the tank back in and some of the interior will go back in. I am also installing a fuel return line, which has become a necessity after I broke the fuel pump trying to get a look at the strainer. Will post some pics of it before it goes together.

Now, I would just like to rant how freaking long plumbing takes... And I'm not even done after 2 days. I have everything done down to the rear tee, I even have the fuel return done. The fuel return was especially fun because I am using 5/16 stainless... It is so damn hard to work, can't even bend it with a bender because it's too stiff to work with the line in place, I only use it for tight bends and when I absolutely had to take it out of the car (to flare an end or cut to length). I've found that leveraging on it is the way to go, or if it's out of the car I bend it against my foot because I hate the bender. Stark contrast from the 3/16 stainless brake lines which bend nicely, stays straight, doesn't crush, doesn't work harden, and I can use my squeeze bender.

ShiRen
12-30-2022, 02:54 PM
Well. I got a lot done this week. No progress on the rust, but the car is fully plumbed, has seats, and the obx header is welded.
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/8d46c944c-26de5d/8cuiFOJijYkD/g5X2NvdIu5OlPEwQwANnZJYSsq9nZITrJ1v3qBlb.jpg
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/8d46c944c-26de5d/0t9abp6VLRXW/l1gvNpGAMGrFOLaOeXQq436HLpmF8XaLFhaXxweW.jpg
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/8d46c944c-26de5d/8XGDd94esEbO/13gt6TMZ9bGyRSj6AEb5lGoTeAPtv9oX5uCp0Ut1.jpg
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/8d46c944c-26de5d/NCzI4nOMlj3D/3yl7IhUPcn3Y5UjfbQq6fdmtJlcvZEVMQBQP5qe9.jpg

ShiRen
01-10-2023, 04:29 PM
I, uh, shortened the clutch throw. It's not a very elegant solution and the cable is going to do some breaking in, but it got what I wanted

https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/3079cad20-917577/h87OfYf2bfKy/w4JlrrCFK0sJCvU1ajvWv6gif0sTQDSUgPQ9rhpI.jpg

I replaced the dampener block thing, that probably does next to nothing, and replaced it with a plate with some tubes for the cable. This ended up being a little too low and the clutch cable was not long enough, but that was fixed by flipping the bracket. Like I said, it's not pretty, but for some reason my car had to have its clutch at the very top of it's adjustment and it took the full throw to disengage the clutch. This at least fixes that and I put the pedal right where I wanted it, it still pulls as far as possible, so I will find out the true bottom and make an adjustable stop to that point, so the throw distance will be minimized. This also adds some weight to the clutch, which is welcome, still feels terrible compared to a hydraulic, but it doesn't feel lifeless

ShiRen
03-27-2023, 12:26 PM
BADA-BING
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/42a8ecf32-5a8865/0387cKwSEORn/8fHB8Bqq8rlR3oLjUOTjdx4UoNNSvI6NzVVpfW2s.jpg

Civic/Integra poly trailing arm bushings installed. Involved leaving the outside metal portion of the OEM bushing, turning down the bushings, then turning a new center slug. These energy suspension bushings are probably about the only option to use this way, and rubber doesn't turn on a lathe very well lol, but they're only like $30 anyway. Still, most important bushing on the whole car, done and dusted.

Oldblueaccord
03-27-2023, 03:56 PM
Bushing looks great!.

You bent the tab that the clutch cable adjuster rides on correct? Otherwise its bent!

ShiRen
03-28-2023, 07:04 AM
Yeah the clutch cable bracket it sub optimal, but it feels great after setting the stops for the pedal. It's a temporary bracket, aka permanent. Might get a b series trans before it gets a new bracket lol.

ShiRen
03-29-2023, 02:10 PM
BADA-BOOM
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/42a8ecf32-5a8865/QTBvSDKGtzHL/f9CJglsnMOE55zSoFrs4Idu9vQNJw9cxe1LvlwWw.jpg
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/42a8ecf32-5a8865/8s56m69xspUT/6LqQjpXLSgeXvk5xCo7LWG4gMGzzFqcujMQUcrNf.jpg

Oldblueaccord
03-29-2023, 02:40 PM
BADA-BOOM
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/42a8ecf32-5a8865/QTBvSDKGtzHL/f9CJglsnMOE55zSoFrs4Idu9vQNJw9cxe1LvlwWw.jpg
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/42a8ecf32-5a8865/8s56m69xspUT/6LqQjpXLSgeXvk5xCo7LWG4gMGzzFqcujMQUcrNf.jpg

AH HAH! :rockon:

ShiRen
03-30-2023, 06:23 PM
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/42a8ecf32-5a8865/M57VOa1ajL9j/UdVrjjL9Sh3YdrY13VfAQkKrnR2XusbVS9bu1TTE.jpg

Well they're mounted. Would be happy, but I'm a dummy and thought screwing a regular m10 brake line with a bubble flare (it's round in the bottom of the caliper) would seal, or at least I crossed my fingers and hoped they would. Ideally you would get a braided brake line for an sei, but techna-fit no longer sells via website, somebody might need to call and verify they will still make them. I figure it is ok to have a hard line running from the old drum soft line to the caliper, as long as you use a material that doesn't work harden, my lines are stainless. I think my solution will be to make the brake fitting accept a washer then use a copper washer like what would seal the banjo bolt.

Also, it would be ideal to mock the caliper bracket up with the rear control arms in place. I got lucky and they barely clear, however you need to put the lower caliper bolt in before bolting the control arms up lol.

It's been a day

Oh also the water pipe on the back of the engine is leaking through a pin hole

ShiRen
03-31-2023, 07:23 AM
Nope nvm I think this the only contraption that will work. Btw, afik sei rear lines are no longer sold
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/42a8ecf32-5a8865/cM0yEOAszO1I/0egoKZnx3swQOtp5gsdLqcgbB1l3sImRccCoQxok.jpg

Oldblueaccord
03-31-2023, 09:50 AM
A hydraulic hose place should be able to make you a DOT approved braided line. There two places in town here. its where I get all mine made.

ShiRen
03-31-2023, 06:37 PM
I kind of don't want that long of a soft line anyway. I wouldn't suggest anyone else go this route, but I think it'll work. This is why I want a fixed caliper though, there's no reason to have a soft line all the way to the caliper.

I didn't mention what happened to my front lines though. I looked under the car this morning and found the rubberized coating completely destroyed all the way on both front lines. I can't think of anything that would cause this, heat or chemicals would have damaged something else if it was able to destroy the *entire* length of the line. Luckily, I don't think it does much for holding pressure and it's just to protect the line. Still replacing them, but I need to drive it home.

https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/9e2db7367-e375b7/xgNBH0p94p2R/922JLnAT16IA9VDnqmmV7EJXuIX4SRxxZ1YMdsN1.jpg

I called techna-fit, but nobody answered and I haven't gotten a call back yet. I might have to look for somewhere local that can remake these, I'll just hand them the old line, maybe they can tell me what the hell happened lmao. Sucks though, I really liked these lines.

Just everything has gone wrong recently though, idk what the deal is. There's the pin hole in the water pipe, the melted brake lines, my throttle cable stuck (had to shorten it), I had brake fluid leaks everywhere, it was hard as hell to get bled, the engine seems to have a vacuum leak, and my rear wheel bearings aren't pulling all the way up on the spindle and it was downright scary when I found out going 50mph to the inspection station. Passed inspection though... Miraculously.

ShiRen
04-01-2023, 07:41 PM
MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THIS OUT OF YOUR DRUM BRAKES BEFORE TIGHTENING UP YOUR HUBS, THE BEARINGS WON'T TIGHTEN WITHOUT!!
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/9e2db7367-e375b7/w6ayQ5aGnBbi/4rkqiVSnsnXKMLc2Gb33oJkX88q20CYfwoBBhptC.jpg

And here is how I took care of the ebrake. I didn't know how well integra cables will fit and theyre expensive anyway, so I made an adapter for the original drum cables
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/9e2db7367-e375b7/zMtyUNkCdmbP/VG7QcHMUyvKiuychiyhOkXY0CQqudOKevGkQXDmM.jpg

Nothing went to hell today! fixed all the issues and thinks look pretty good.

I started to do an alignment this afternoon, that was interesting with only 2 wheel alignment guages. Start with caster obviously, its simple to do, but can be quite stubborn, probably the easiest thing to adjust on a stock car. Then I did the camber, rear first. I have the adjustable mevotech arms from rockauto, I like them! Adjusted all the way in I get 2 degrees on the money, could just take some off the adjuster if I ever want more. The front was interesting with prelude arms... The prelude arms are maybe good for about a degree of camber, its really silly, and the passenger side of the car is way lighter so it takes a lot to get any camber at all, so I extended the slots. The ball joint in the prelude arms does not move perfectly in and out, it will add some caster, so I had to do all that again. The passenger side camber adjustment was much further in so it had higher caster, about 4 degrees, so I shortened the driver strut rod to match. Camber on the passenger side is about 2.25 degrees while the driver side is about 2 degrees without me in it. Now toe is a complete nightmare without making a toe box. Still working on it, but aiming for 0 toe all around. Simple enough to zero the front, just have to center the steering wheel, but I'm also using civic tie rods, so that all needs massaging. The rear is where you have to make a reference to what is straight with the front, and all I know is it really wants to thrust and dog leg. I don't know if it actually a lot, but I can't zero the toe with the front, i run out of adjustment, and one side seems like it is a different distance from the centerline of the front wheel. Tomorrow I am going to loosen the rear subframe and kick the shit out of it, hopefully it moves a little closer to straight, i think that will fix the dog leg and get the adjustment back where I need it to fix the thrust. FUN! Adjustable lower control arms sound a lot more necessary now.

Oldblueaccord
04-02-2023, 09:22 AM
That deal with the front brake lines just looks to be a color coating they put over them Still not good but I doubt the lines themselves are bad. I think that one picture the line is kinked.
I took the techna fit link off sticky because they wont answer me either I dont think they have sold anything in years. I didnt want to just lock it someone might get hurt feelings over it.

ShiRen
04-03-2023, 06:07 AM
It was a clear coating, and yes I think they are still good too, but I dont think the steel braid will last line this. I don't see where you are talking about a kink, this stainless steel line was real hard to screw up. They must have stopped selling around covid, I think I bought mine in 2019.

I got the interior in and drove the car home last night. Looks really good (inside) and drives really good. I might have killed my new rear bearings though.

ShiRen
04-30-2023, 07:47 PM
Man I just realized I never uploaded pics of my track tires!
225/45r15 Flaken Azenzis rt660 on the Buddy Club P1 15x8
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/c537ce87c-f5971d/2LCwsaCDYvgN/Ykky3CcxTZw9lJV8e2KnAxLXG97DDAUCA1WuEu8W.jpg
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/c537ce87c-f5971d/peZhtAJ3NNV0/njPthn7qHxTK7kSFSZJEQHVPHJftdhNHK6ku23n0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ1rYKCBGYs&t=1s

First ever autocross in this car, and only my second time racing. Went really well. Beat a lot of other capable cars. I have a ton of other things I need to check off on the car that's just going to make it even faster and more capable, and I learned a lot on how to wheel it today.
Biggest thing that needs work is the brakes... still. Not enough front brake, need more pedal ratio, and I think I am flexing the firewall. Once I am confident I think I need to start left foot braking in those slaloms and stuff, keep most of the power on and set the car into the turn. Grip is sure not an issue.

Oldblueaccord
05-01-2023, 05:34 PM
Man I just realized I never uploaded pics of my track tires!
225/45r15 Flaken Azenzis rt660 on the Buddy Club P1 15x8
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/c537ce87c-f5971d/2LCwsaCDYvgN/Ykky3CcxTZw9lJV8e2KnAxLXG97DDAUCA1WuEu8W.jpg
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/c537ce87c-f5971d/peZhtAJ3NNV0/njPthn7qHxTK7kSFSZJEQHVPHJftdhNHK6ku23n0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ1rYKCBGYs&t=1s

First ever autocross in this car, and only my second time racing. Went really well. Beat a lot of other capable cars. I have a ton of other things I need to check off on the car that's just going to make it even faster and more capable, and I learned a lot on how to wheel it today.
Biggest thing that needs work is the brakes... still. Not enough front brake, need more pedal ratio, and I think I am flexing the firewall. Once I am confident I think I need to start left foot braking in those slaloms and stuff, keep most of the power on and set the car into the turn. Grip is sure not an issue.

Tires setup looks good on 8" rim.

I thought you drove great. The course was laid out really well I usually cant follow courses very well why I dont xcross.

If you can get a few 100's street miles on the tires they will grip better.

ShiRen
05-01-2023, 09:49 PM
This is as wide as I can go without pulling the rear fenders. There's like a quarter inch maybe less to the trailing arms and I had to roll the fenders
Track was great, there is a section that kind of looks like a slalom if you aren't paying attention, but it's actually a big sweeper, I went on the wrong side of the cones once, but no big deal.
I drove on them for about a day, can't get them up to temp on the street, but they should be broke in now

conozo
05-02-2023, 05:14 PM
I don't know why I haven't seen this thread in ages but good work man.

ShiRen
05-02-2023, 06:59 PM
😂 because I let the car sit for a year, the first updates being like a month ago

Oldblueaccord
05-03-2023, 10:02 PM
This is as wide as I can go without pulling the rear fenders. There's like a quarter inch maybe less to the trailing arms and I had to roll the fenders
Track was great, there is a section that kind of looks like a slalom if you aren't paying attention, but it's actually a big sweeper, I went on the wrong side of the cones once, but no big deal.
I drove on them for about a day, can't get them up to temp on the street, but they should be broke in now

Hey where are those rims made if you dont mind me asking?...and the offset?

ShiRen
05-04-2023, 06:09 AM
Pretty sure they're made in Japan. And they're +32

ShiRen
09-13-2023, 11:46 AM
Car has been behaving well. I replaced the driver side engine mount with a Cheddas one, its probably needed that for like 10 years. Other than that I've just been tidying things up. Stereo controls now have a little plastic panel where the head unit went, wires all tucked away, undertray and driver side fender liner replaced, squashed some rattles, got the hood and headlights a little bit more square, etc.

I did complete one big project though. The car now has an electric speedometer form a 5th gen Civic and it works. The tach is also from the Civic, but the temp gauge I replaced with an Innovate MTX-D water temp gauge because I could not get an actual reading with a stock gauge, and the fuel gauge is a custom little led bar graph powered by an arduino. I'm not going to make a writeup about it because I didn't document it and I don't expect anyone to be able to follow it, but if anyone is really interested I can do my best. Its 90% complete, really just have to tidy up some light leaks and hopefully fix the dark spot in the tach. But here is what it looks like now.
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/ea59ea880-d2aad0/sfgMCOj1SlS5/h1CxbYopv6K4vVfViR7iRvxy1Nio5b2CqtGmdPIm.jpg
Unfortunately the final drive is not the same as a Civic so the speedo is off, but I moved the needle and its pretty close, main issue is the odometer is super fast. It wasn't right with the stock gauge anyway because I run 23" tires, so I don't really care.

Oh and the car has rolled out of its parking spot twice now when I used just the ebrake. Don't rear disk brake swap unless you come to terms with the fact that the ebrake won't work very good lol.

conozo
09-13-2023, 06:27 PM
Nice, looks good.

How many clicks do you get when you pull the ebrake up. May need to adjust it so its tighter, shop manual says 7-11 clicks.

ShiRen
09-14-2023, 06:42 AM
I have adjusted it, probably going to do it again. I have to pull it until I can't lol then I shake the car and make sure I don't hear it slip.

Oldblueaccord
09-14-2023, 09:02 AM
Try pressing the brake pedal down when you set it see if that helps.

ShiRen
09-14-2023, 02:17 PM
It doesn't. I adjusted the cables but I might have to modify the adapters for the calipers to the stock cables because I think I bottomed out the adjustment thread. Just needs a new hole for the bolt. I made the mistake of not loosening the cables when I made it, so I basically started at half adjustment.

ShiRen
09-25-2023, 12:57 PM
Anyone notice their cars burning oil at high rpm? If I redline it in 1st and then get off it it will smell like oil in the cabin, sometimes I get a plume of oil smoke coming out of the exhaust if I idle shortly after. I am assuming my oil control rings are not doing too hot. You'd think the back of my block would be showered with oil residue from blow by coming out to of the black box thats vta, but maybe my compression rings are actually still in decent shape. My cylinder walls look like about what you would expect out of a 200k mi engine.

Also, no visible oil consumption. I just wish I had the means to start putting together my other engine with b20 pistons right about now.

ShiRen
09-26-2023, 04:22 PM
Sent an oil sample off to Blackstone. It is due for a change so oil might have thinned out, exasperating the burning. Depending on the results I'll go to a 5w50, 10w60, or 20w50, whatever is most available and costs less. It has Rotella T6 5w40 in it, which is no longer cheap anyway.

conozo
10-05-2023, 07:22 PM
Do you know what your compression numbers are? Also have you ever refreshed your valve stem seals?

ShiRen
10-06-2023, 04:39 AM
No and no 😂 I really do not like removing the spark plugs in fear of cross threading them. I think I did a compression test when I did the head gasket and and they were all fine, but it's hard to judge ring health with a compression test unless it's really bad, valves have a way bigger effect. Haven't done the valve stem seals because it doesn't smoke on startup, I don't think I get much valve buildup either.

I'll do a compression test soon, but I need to find my leak down tester too, I'd like to do both tests at once

conozo
10-06-2023, 07:31 AM
I think if your piston rings are real bad you can hear air escaping into the crank case during a leakdown test. I also think its hard to tell where the air is coming from unless you take the valve cover off because it is all connected via the oil hole drains.

Also check if you have excessive blowby. At idle, take your oil cap off, is it blowing anything out of there. Nothing should be coming out at idle.

As for your spark plugs. Blow compressed air around the spark plug while the plug is still in there to remove any dirt. Take the plug out and if its dirty, put some carb cleaner on a rag and clean the first few threads, this will greatly help threading them in correctly when the threads are completely clean.

ShiRen
10-06-2023, 12:48 PM
Yeah, you should be able to hear it if it doesn't have a bigger leak somewhere else.

I did take the oil cap off while it's running, no oil mist, light pulses of air. Same with the black box on back it's vta and unfiltered (probably bad) but if oil was coming out of it the cross member would be getting showered, everything is bone dry behind the engine.

My head isn't super dirty either, I just don't like the stupid angle the plugs are at. Though, I'm just getting myself worked up, the time that I started to crossthread one it was nearly dark outside.

ShiRen
10-26-2023, 04:40 PM
Got a used oil analysis and the results arent too bad. Due to the metals and silicon I'm going to put a filter on the pcv black box... its unfiltered vta right now. Some metals were expected though. Next oil change I am going to use Mobil 1 5w50, Rotella T6 is too expensive now anyway.
Still haven't done the compression and leakdown test, I'll get the numbers during the oil change.
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/f1538e3aa-7b3151/OFRr7tTqQ8Ak/aCOLm1YtIGFE1NhSUwSHa1WlffbYb9znATwpsmjN.png
What it does show is no blowby (insolubles) despite the ring wear (chromium), no gas from rich conditions, no water from not getting up to temp because it runs very cool, and the oil is still good. I hope the mobil performs well too, but I liked Rotella due to the copious additive package.

ShiRen
10-27-2023, 07:13 AM
Emailed fastbrakes about a big brake kit today, I'm going to make that a priority. Car stops ok, but even in regular traffic I'm gonna put my foot through the firewall one of these days, do a hard stop and you're pressing really damn hard and wondering if you're actually going to stop in time, it of course does easily, but I don't like that feeling. I think a big portion of it is firewall flex too, probably why it is so hard to lock the brakes, the force I'm putting in isnt actually going into the pedal, but during my autocross runs I did find that limit after applying a ridiculous amount of force.

ShiRen
10-31-2023, 09:36 AM
Leakdown test results:
Cylinder 1 - about 5psi at 60psi
Cylinder 2 - very little, kept wanting to roll the engine over and open the valves
Cylinder 3 - same as cylinder 2
Cylinder 4 - same again
Not happy with these readings, but I expect cylinder 1 is the worst anyway, and its not that bad.

Compression test
Cylinder 1 - 170psi
Cylinder 2 - 163psi
Cylinder 3 - 165psi
Cylinder 4 - 170psi
Nothing to be concerned about there

Surprising really, engine is nearing 200k mi, has a slight amount of scoring on at least one of the cylinders, and has metal from the rings in the oil. It is smoking on startup now that its cold, but since it doesnt need any oil added between changes its probably no more than a few drops making the smoke. Putting mobil1 5w-50 in it, hope that helps. Nothing concerning, I just don't like breathing it. Valve seals probably need changed, but I don't want to.

Oldblueaccord
10-31-2023, 04:49 PM
Leakdown test results:
Cylinder 1 - about 5psi at 60psi
Cylinder 2 - very little, kept wanting to roll the engine over and open the valves
Cylinder 3 - same as cylinder 2
Cylinder 4 - same again
Not happy with these readings, but I expect cylinder 1 is the worst anyway, and its not that bad.

Compression test
Cylinder 1 - 170psi
Cylinder 2 - 163psi
Cylinder 3 - 165psi
Cylinder 4 - 170psi
Nothing to be concerned about there

Surprising really, engine is nearing 200k mi, has a slight amount of scoring on at least one of the cylinders, and has metal from the rings in the oil. It is smoking on startup now that its cold, but since it doesnt need any oil added between changes its probably no more than a few drops making the smoke. Putting 5w-50 in it, hope that helps. Nothing concerning, I just don't like breathing it. Valve seals probably need changed, but I don't want to.

Need that dino oil in there buddy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om8X0wr6G-c

ShiRen
10-31-2023, 05:49 PM
Eh, it's really a myth that conventional oil leaks less, molecule sizes are both bigger and smaller, so as much will get through as synthetic, viscosity will have a bigger difference. And nothing will rejuvenate seals that are worn out from moving parts... It does burn better though, that's why you don't put synthetic in a rotary
I've run it pretty hard today and it hasn't smoked on me yet, so we will see what it does in the morning.
I wish it was still summer, I'd love to know if oil temps dropped

Oldblueaccord
11-05-2023, 02:31 PM
Emailed fastbrakes about a big brake kit today, I'm going to make that a priority. Car stops ok, but even in regular traffic I'm gonna put my foot through the firewall one of these days, do a hard stop and you're pressing really damn hard and wondering if you're actually going to stop in time, it of course does easily, but I don't like that feeling. I think a big portion of it is firewall flex too, probably why it is so hard to lock the brakes, the force I'm putting in isnt actually going into the pedal, but during my autocross runs I did find that limit after applying a ridiculous amount of force.

Do what Brian says but I would change out your master cylinder...I think its larger bore less pedal travel but double check me on that. There are formulas to get it right.

it might also be pad knock back where the pads on disc brakes push out? in on the caliper bores and then the first application you get alot of pedal travel. ABS fixed that all up but older models it was pretty common.

ShiRen
11-05-2023, 04:50 PM
I have a wilwood master cylinder. It's still a 7/8" bore, but that's not uncommon, even with manual brakes. A smaller bore creates more pressure at the same amount of force, but I think travel increases because the amount of fluid that needs to be moved doesn't change.

Not sure if the travel is excessive, there is just not a lot of pressure, even though the little brakes are ample to stop the car. I think I'd have to put my foot through the floor to lock them up. Bigger brakes should be more touchy and easier to threshold brake as long as they aren't too touchy. I've only ever barely locked the front brakes once, that was in autocross and I was worried about breaking my new seats lol, the recliners can't stand that kind of pressure.

Working on making a master cylinder brace, but it didn't seem to move a ton. I'd like to take that out of the equation though.

I think the next easiest thing is to drill a few more holes in the brake pedal to change the ratio a bit, I think I can get away with a little bit of angle on the pedal rod.

Oldblueaccord
11-05-2023, 05:04 PM
guessing a little but I think the LXi stock is 13/16" and some of the Hondas are 1.0"

EDIT: how about 15/16" I flunked 2 nd grade math a few times.

Oldblueaccord
11-05-2023, 05:11 PM
http://www.markwilliams.com/calculators.html

This should work for you....

ShiRen
11-05-2023, 09:15 PM
You can see with that calculator you have to press a lot harder with a larger bore. Worst case scenario I go to a 3/4" bore, that will help with the unassisted brakes. Pedal ratio first though, it's doing essentially the same thing trading travel for force.

Well before that, new calipers, won't know how anything will feel until those are on. I did pull the trigger on a set of wilwood 4 pots btw

Really wanting a new rear swaybar, extended ball joints, and to call Fortune auto for some coilovers, but I don't think my wallet would like that after spending $800 on brakes.

ShiRen
11-14-2023, 03:16 PM
Big brake kit done. It's the fastbrakes 88-00 civic 4 piston wilwood 11" kit. https://www.fastbrakes.com/product_p/fastbrakes-ef-eg-civic-11-4e.htm This kit is specifically for 9.5" cars, that's why I didn't get the significantly cheaper 11" Integra option for the accord.
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/bf4779419-8cf74f/ZdIwdTfvaSGk/xvFylWKYZroiO71jWoTJJ9RxpvEFCgSIEcBIwsAd.jpg
https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/bf4779419-8cf74f/JOS5nFQrPsH2/3Mv55ZhfGZhJAPpDJXbCJ7jijlcRstEBkPtPp3Du.jpg

There were a few problems, though none really relating to the fitment of the brakes. All that was needed was a 4-5mm spacer, I just used 4 washers that were like 4.5mm thick. The problems I had was one brake line that came with the kit had a malformed thread and would not tighten, also I was shorted a caliper bolt. It's fine, that stuff happens, new parts shipped on Friday and I got them Monday. I had another small problem though, the 30mm offset wheels that I had on the front hit the calipers, so I had to get the track wheels out until I could swap the 35mm offset wheels from the back to the front lol, they had enough clearance. I'll have to use a small spacer if I ever need to swap the wheels front to back now I guess.

Also tip, when you bleed brakes from totally empty, work on getting a little bit of fluid to the calipers then pump the crap out of the pedal until it starts to get hard. Make sure you lift all the way off the pedal. Press it down as hard as you can and crack the first bleeder, pump it up again and crack the next, and until the brakes start feeling normal repeat this, then start doing it like normal where you would bleed one wheel at a time until the air is gone. Your fluid will go down as you pump it too, so watch it.

ShiRen
11-14-2023, 04:18 PM
Oh yeah... It stops good now. I still feel like I'd have to stomp the life out of the pedal to get every bit of force out of it though. Master cylinder brace and pedal ratio first, then pads, worst case scenario I go to a 3/4" master cylinder.

Also, some relevant part numbers: this kit uses a 120-13839 caliper which takes a 7112 type pad, the rotor is a from an 09 Mini Cooper base model, centric part number 121.34100. Alternatively, Brembo has a drilled rotor 09A7611X

conozo
11-15-2023, 08:04 AM
wow, definitely makes me want to upgrade mine. If i dont drive like a grandma i get warped rotors easily. With that said my brakes stop the car quick. I have locked up all 4 on the highway before with LXI fronts with SEI rears and prop valve.

Not sure why you feel you have to stomp on yours so much.

Are your wheels 15" or 16"?

ShiRen
11-15-2023, 09:00 AM
Manual brakes make a big difference in that regard lol. Mine should be hard to press, but I want more brake before I'm flexing the seat. And after further investigation, the pads my brakes were shipped with aren't performance oriented whatsoever, they're wilwood bp-10, I'll probably install hawk dtc-60s. Strange your rotors warp though.

My daily wheels are 16, race wheels are 15

ShiRen
01-16-2024, 10:00 AM
About a month ago my brand new brake caliper lost a mounting bolt and hit the wheel, putting a big scar in the caliper, wheel, and broke my valve stem. Everything is alright, its mostly cosmetic, but lesson learned use more loctite, I was running out when I put it together. That day I finished the paperwork to get an abandoned title for a 07 Ford Sport Trac with 113k mi, v8, 4wd, it is a hell of a little truck and I have been driving the crap out of it and hauling dirt bikes, haven't driven the accord a lot since. Part of that is ptsd lol, but the truck is just a bit easier to hop in and go, especially in the cold. I don't really like that, makes me feel complacent, and its part of why I sold the type R. Its fine if I am using the truck though, but Ill probably get tired to the abysmal gas milage pretty soon too lol. I'll probably throw some more parts at the accord soon to get it ready for autocross in a couple months, its definitely nice having another vehicle for that.

ShiRen
03-13-2024, 02:56 PM
So my ford is having problems, but the Accord has nothing but reliable. That being said, I can't stop thinking about modifying it. I have the adjustable rear lower control arms to install, the front upper control arm camber mounts, and I want to raise the driver front a bit in an attempt to corner balance and correct the control arm lengths side to side to get a better alignment. Also still thinking about building an engine. I will eventually, as I've outlined it all here (https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php/148427-A20-details-and-B20-rods-pistons-thread), but money is tight since I went back to college. I need someone who knows a little bit about what to do welding and porting a 3 valve head, that is the biggest show stopper. I'd also love to find some 5.5mm diameter stem exhaust valves to maybe bump up in size, or at least improve flow around the stem. What I'd love to get going sooner is my megajolt, but I really want to get my bike carbs put on. I am planning on getting a 3d printed manifold and 3d printed velocity stacks.

I've been doing some math to determine how long the intake needs to be, valve to the tip of the stack. I've seen some dyno sheets of A20s and they all make a really flat torque line, usually dips off around 6000, so I was thinking the tuned rpm of the intake should be between 14"-16.5". There is some complex math, but I don't think its rocket science, if that is an achievable length that's great. I didn't tune the formulas directly for my engine, yet, but I will share them. It has something to do with the valve timing and when the reflective inlet pulse comes back down the runner into the valve, so wherever flow starts to drop since the piston will be decreasing in acceleration in the latter half of the stroke, they say it is usually somewhere between 80-90 degrees. So the rough calculation is Length in Inches=84000/tuned rpm, but the better, probably not the best, calculation is L = D * C / 0.012 * N where L is the length in mm, D is the degrees of the crank, C is the speed of sound or roughly 334m/s, and N is your tuned rpm. I have no idea where 84000 or 0.012 come from, but the math agrees both ways. Even getting this slightly wrong is fine since you will still get the benefit from the resonate pulse, it just won't be at the point of lowest intake flow, plus just adding velocity stacks will improve laminar flow. The 84000/rpm equation got me 14" and the big equation got me 16.5" at 90 degrees, so I will probably design my stacks with a minimum of 14" in length and add a spacer between the carb and stacks to tune the length, also if my tuned rpm needs to be lower, like 5000rpm, then all that means is I need a longer runner, so it works out perfectly.

Eyes glazed over yet? I like to work this out and write about it, so at least I will remember what I wanted to do lol. Wish I could design my intake now, but I have actual homework that​ needs done.