PDA

View Full Version : the little sidemarker lights

slammedLXI
02-23-2003, 03:11 PM
u kno the little ones u can buy and put towards the back of the fender? can someone give a tutorial on doing that? do u have to take off the fender? as far as wiring it im sure ill have np, its just getting the light mounted. thanks.

original2k
02-23-2003, 03:16 PM
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113

^how to wire them^

i know i went to this site before, they drilled a hole into the fender, can't remember if they took it off or not tho, guess u prolly have to tho, un less u can get it to come through your door hinge assembly, oh yeah almost every question u could answer on how to's and stuff are in the "how to" section of this board, if u can't find it there do a search ;)

BLck89accord
02-23-2003, 04:25 PM
taking the fender off is not necessary. Just drill through the fender so the sidemarker will fit...run ur wiring however you choose to, and mount the sidemarkers with the screws that it comes with. Just be careful when drilling. All in all, not hard to do, and not very time consuming.

MrBen
02-23-2003, 04:59 PM
The fender is a bitch to take off anyway without the right tools. That goddamn bolt in the door jam made me want to smash all the windows in.

86accord4dr
02-23-2003, 09:09 PM
lol. that would probably be pretty counter-productive man

yeah i'm thinking of doing the side markers this spring/summer. are those rectangle APC one's ok? i really don't want to support APC but they're just so easy to find

BLck89accord
02-23-2003, 09:22 PM
i have the apc circle ones and put hyper white bulbs in. Same shit.

socal3rdgen
02-23-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
The fender is a bitch to take off anyway without the right tools. That goddamn bolt in the door jam made me want to smash all the windows in.

man that bolt is a beotch

markmdz89hatch
02-24-2003, 02:37 PM
you guys are lucky, I chose a set that I liked, and when I actually looked at 'em I realized I was gonna have to do a whole lot more to my fender then just drill one hole.

...Just remember, no matter which style you choose, or how big of a whole you'll need to cut, measure everything out very precisely. Take your time, and don't take too much fender off. Once you start, there's no turning back. Keep the fender on that way it's very well stabilized while you're drilling.

If it's just a whole that you need to drill, then that's not that bad, just don't put too much pressure on the drill when you're drilling otherwise you'll distort the surface.

If you actually have to cut a portion of the fender, do it very slowly. What I did was cut a template out of thin cardboard and mounted the sidemarker in that just so I can get a precise shape and size cut to make. I then traced that on the fender with pencil. Then I drilled a bunch of very small holes in the area that needed to be removed. Then I used a set of detailingtin snips and very carefully cut out just enough of a hole for me to get my metal file in there. Then I just filed away at the fender slowly. You'de be suprised just how much material a file can remove, and how quickly you can do it.

The whole I had to cut ended up being rectangular-ish shaped, and about 1"H X 3"L.

Here's a pic of the finished product:

Sorry the car's real dirty, and the seal's not great. I have to use bulb grease on the plug and it'll take care of that problem.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p639d6e5e5c1a62f8a7ebfd78dde681d8/fccb862f.jpg

86accord4dr
02-24-2003, 04:21 PM
yeah looks decent!

i think i'm gonna go with one of these.
i'm trying to decide which would look better

http://24.72.35.234/oval.bmp

OR

http://24.72.35.234/square.bmp

I like the clearness of the oval one but then again the 3G is quite box-ish so maybe the rectangle is better.

any comments?

87Hybrid
02-24-2003, 05:33 PM
this one has my vote
http://24.72.35.234/oval.bmp

Get a dremmel and the small cutoff wheels and cut a piece of cardboard (like from a cereal box) and cut the hole that the light will fit into in the cardboard and test fit it then measure your fenders so that you can put the hole (not whole) in the same place and draw the inside of the template on a piece of masking tabpe on the fender with a sharpie and cut the fender with the dremel. No scratches or warping with this method.

pmip
02-24-2003, 06:35 PM
86accord4dr - I would say go with the round clear ones, I have those exact rectangle ones on my car and they don't look bad, but I think the clear ones will look nicer.

You can kind of see how they look:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/p74b60a0b3d3eabe02c8acc11aae8b204/fca33d27.jpg

crwa
02-24-2003, 07:47 PM
Whatever you do, be carful about putting in white or blue bulbs, I have blue in mine, so at night there a really bright white, I've been pulled over three times for them, but I don't wan to take out the bulbs, so all I do is say, oh, I didn't know they couldn't be white sorry... Just put in amber bulbs or wire them to the turn signals so you don't get hastled like I did. One time the cop pulled me over for them and I was really tiredit was like two in the morning and my eyes were red, he thought I'd been smoken so he pulled me out of the car, made me do drug tests and then asked to search my car, I said no, even thought I didn't have anything to hide, then he read me my writes and then the fag just said well have a good night, and fix those lights, then he folloed me all the way from the west hills to my house, and he was ten feet from my back bumper the whole time. He had told me if I had doneone thing wriong I'd be doin to jail, so he was just waitin for me the touch the whit line, plus I was beina total dick to him cause thats what he was doin to me, plus he had a wanna be with him, and every time I looked at the kid, he was snikerin and smilin cause he knew the cop was bein a dick and just tryin to scare me... so thats my story, don't let it happend to you... that was over summer and my lights are stillblue, so Fuck you Officer Smith.

BLck89accord
02-24-2003, 07:57 PM
no prob with the hyperwhites in sidemarkers around here. Not sure whats goin' on in ur neck of the woods crwa??? Sorry to here about ur dickings tho.

Immeraufdemhund
02-24-2003, 07:59 PM
for that one bolt, i've never had a problem with any of them, iopen my door up all the way, shove my 1/4 rachet in there and go at it. I use a 3" extension with a normal head. as for the lights. i'd say box is hte way to go. Round looks cool, but not on a box car.

86accord4dr
02-24-2003, 08:11 PM
yeah that's what i'm thinking immer... but the other guys have the vote majority.

but it's not like they're circular... they're just a box with rounded corners. maybe i'll photoshop something up... unless you guys wanna post pics of yours so i can see em. pmips looks ok but it's kinda hard to tell as the pic seems to be taken about 6 feet too far away. oh yeah pmip that's a weird paintjob where you panted over the corners except for the corner. i'm not sure if i like it but i give ya props for originality.

and definitely i will put ambers in. the cops up here do spot checks for drugs/booze on the main drag all summer and they check for illegal tint, illegal exhaust and lights... i like the look of the amber bulb in a clear lense anyway. thanks guys. POST PICS

jigga225
02-24-2003, 11:15 PM
dont mind the scratch in the hood
http://www.boomspeed.com/jigga1983/front_hit1.jpg

markmdz89hatch
02-25-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by jigga225
dont mind the scratch in the hood

Jigga, what the hell happened?

Coroncho80
02-25-2003, 11:09 AM
86accord4dr, no offence man but those side lights that you wanna buy, look gay as hell man. I like the ones that Jigga has.
here are mines, just so you can get an idea what's out there. :D

PS. I also changed the bulb. It has a plasma blue'sh color to it. It matches the rest of the exterior lights. They only come on when I use the turning signals and/or when the alarm goes off.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/259000-259999/259704_15_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/259000-259999/259704_17_full.jpg

86accord4dr
02-25-2003, 04:14 PM
none taken coroncho. i'm just looking for ideas.

hey jigga who makes yours? looks like you tinted them like you did your tails... am i right?

slammedLXI
02-25-2003, 05:58 PM
ok well i did it, and yah i used the APC ones from autozone 15$... what i did was removed the inner fender wall and there was a place to run the wires through into the engine bay and ran them up and spliced into the sidemarker lights... looks great took about an hour.

Coroncho80
02-26-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by slammedLXI
ok well i did it, and yah i used the APC ones from autozone 15$... what i did was removed the inner fender wall and there was a place to run the wires through into the engine bay and ran them up and spliced into the sidemarker lights... looks great took about an hour.

Cool man. CASE CLOSE!

markmdz89hatch
02-26-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Coroncho80
Cool man. CASE CLOSE!

Not Just yet there Bro...

86accord4dr --> Now you gotta post up some pics of what those little numbers look like! We're all patiently waiting.. ...well patient for now at least....
;)

86accord4dr
02-26-2003, 04:37 PM
heh it won't be until the thaw in the spring tho. i don't have access to my landlords garage here so I'll have to wait about a month or two.

so you're just have to be patient. :)

Coroncho80
02-26-2003, 06:08 PM
CASE CLOSE NOW??? :confused:

86accord4dr
02-26-2003, 07:21 PM
well i'd LIKE more pics of other ppl's installs but i'll settle so yeah coroncho... CASE CLOSED

jigga225
02-26-2003, 09:57 PM
i tinted the tails with the removeable tint from wal mart.
but the side markers came in smoke.
the front eyelids I sprayed with model-car paint from the hobby store

jigga225
02-26-2003, 09:59 PM
i tinted the tails with the removeable tint from wal mart.
but the side markers came in smoke.
the front eyelids I sprayed with model-car paint from the hobby store

oh yeah that was from last august when some bitch backed into my car and then drove off. broke my a\c accumulator
I had to run him down. 3G never cut off

safeel
02-27-2003, 02:56 AM
U guys want the side markers? i wanna get rid of em and get the bumper ones, all our cars have the side markers and i want to shave em off!
total opposites!

jigga89SEi
02-27-2003, 05:58 AM
When you put the tint on the tails you put it on the inside of the casing or the outside?

slammedLXI
02-27-2003, 01:35 PM
outside id imagine... i dont see what the hell putting them on the inside would do...

86accord4dr
02-27-2003, 04:29 PM
not a hell of a lot.

yeah safeel, euro is big 'round these parts. i'm sure there's a bunch of ppl in the UK rolling with US spec gear. but yeah bumper markers ar GHEY! (the rear ones at least)

accordlx
02-27-2003, 06:18 PM
http://home.insight.rr.com/mccorvey1/Picture_500.jpg

86accord4dr
02-27-2003, 09:04 PM
yeah man that's what i'm talking about. i've never seen the side view of your ride before HELLA COOL

which spoiler is that? i want something clean and low like that on mine. i ALMOST was thinking of getting an ebay alum but you've sealed that vote to NO.