PDA

View Full Version : Squealing speedometer and bouncing needle, not cable

AC439
02-19-2019, 05:06 AM
Ok, I'm switching gear to another minor but annoying problem with the car - the squealing speedometer.

It happens only when weather is cold and making the speedo needle bounces and some squealing noise. The colder the weather, the louder the squealing noise.

Since everybody said its the cable, I ordered a new one, put it on and did not solve the problem. Same noise and same bouncing needle. The noise definitely coming from the speedo itself. I took it out and looked at the back of the cluster where the cable connects to the speedo. It seems like that is a hub or an internal bearing, and it is going bac. I temporary put a drop or two of 10w-30 there and let it flow in. The noise stopped and needle became smooth. I returned the new cable, cleaned very well the old cable and lube with graphite. It is spinning smooth and I reinstalled it. However, the noise returns after a week (oil probably dried up).....

So I am thinking putting some dupont dry teflon (with liquid carrier) lube at the hub/bearing. Anyone has any experience with this (the speedo, not the cable) ?

carotman
02-20-2019, 07:59 AM
I do have the bouncy needle too but not the noise. I never really digged into it but I did have a similar problem with my 89 Civic.

I think you can use a thicker lube. I would try some "Fluid Film" in there before trying the teflon lube.

I'll try it on my Accord to get rid of the bounce.

AC439
02-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Had not heard of fluid film before but when I researched it, it doesn't sound like lube. People use it for under car protection. Are you sure it can be used for the speedometer head bearing lube ?

carotman
02-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Oh yeah this is a lube.

It's not a good penetrant but it's a lube for sure. It's lanolin based

I think I'll try the Dupont Teflon chain saver. It's wax based and has teflon in it.

Dr_Snooz
02-24-2019, 07:05 PM
Ah yes. Old Hondas have so much charm! I remember my '76 doing that on cold mornings. My blower motor didn't work either, so it never really warmed up. Boy I don't miss that car. I knew so little about cars and there was all kinds of broken stuff on it that I didn't know how to fix/was too poor to fix.

InAccordance
02-24-2019, 07:38 PM
Mine is bouncing below 30mph. After that it's steady. Who knows.