PDA

View Full Version : The Eternal AC Struggle

Dr_Snooz
03-19-2019, 05:51 PM
It got a little warm here today, so I hit the AC button. And nothing happened...

*Sigh*

Dr_Snooz
03-19-2019, 05:51 PM
It worked so well, all last season.

conozo
03-19-2019, 06:07 PM
No freon so pump/compressor won't turn on? Good luck.

Dr_Snooz
03-28-2019, 06:08 PM
I think it's electrical this time. Haven't had time to dig in though. It's just frustrating that it's ALWAYS broken, though in different ways each time. Honestly, is there no way to make a Honda AC work past the magical 10 year mark?

night
03-28-2019, 07:46 PM
Mine is still the original R12 so its days are numbered

Oldblueaccord
03-30-2019, 09:33 AM
It got a little warm here today, so I hit the AC button. And nothing happened...

*Sigh*

When you pressed the AC button you did have the fan on at least the first speed....rookie? :D:D:D

Dr_Snooz
03-30-2019, 12:37 PM
LOL. You mean THAT'S the problem! OMG.

Turns out to be the ECU. I had swapped it out with another during the winter. I put the old one back and it works again! Around here, with summer temps up to 110F for weeks on end, AC is pretty important.

Mikeybear
11-09-2019, 02:48 PM
I was actually wondering about the A/C as well. It’s a 1989 Accord Lxi too, and my A/C blows somewhat cool air, but not really cold, and after about 5 minutes it blows room temperature air. I figured I’d replace the cabin air filter but I don’t know where it is, and had to take off some screws just to remove the glove box to even look for it (is it back there and I’m just not seeing it maybe?).

Oldblueaccord
11-09-2019, 11:47 PM
I was actually wondering about the A/C as well. It’s a 1989 Accord Lxi too, and my A/C blows somewhat cool air, but not really cold, and after about 5 minutes it blows room temperature air. I figured I’d replace the cabin air filter but I don’t know where it is, and had to take off some screws just to remove the glove box to even look for it (is it back there and I’m just not seeing it maybe?).

There is no filter.

One thing you could do is make sure the drain tube is clear. Dont use wire or anything to clear it out something soft like a zip tie or you could poke thru the evaporator thats in the box.

If you get real frisky you could take the box apart and clean the coils.

Mikeybear
11-10-2019, 09:11 AM
I actually did find out there is no filter later on yesterday when I asked at autozone, but thank you for replying! I’m very new at doing any kind of car maintenance myself, so taking too many things apart scares me a bit, I might leave that to the professionals, but I will bring it up to them next time I take mine in. Thank you again! :D

Dr_Snooz
11-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Have them look for AC leaks while they're at it.

AC439
11-11-2019, 02:51 PM
LOL. You mean THAT'S the problem! OMG.

Turns out to be the ECU. I had swapped it out with another during the winter. I put the old one back and it works again! Around here, with summer temps up to 110F for weeks on end, AC is pretty important.

If I'm not mistaken, the ECU does not energize the A/C clutch, but rather the a/c timer does. However, the "a/c on" is an input signal to the ECU so that it will energize the a/c idle boost in the mystery box when a/c is turned on.

I have been extremely lucky with my a/c. I converted to R134a more than 10 years ago and it is still running strong. It can get even colder than some of my modern cars' a/c ! Only minor issue is a very slow leak that I have to add one can of 12oz R134a every year. Cost less then $5 from Walmart...