PDA

View Full Version : best suspension for my car

89LXIGUY
02-24-2003, 04:11 PM
OK, I read the "important"s, but idon't think i quite got it . so the best bet is coilovers with koni's, butaren't coilovers just springs around the struts. I know im probably wrong and yall think i stupid , but please explain the suspension to me in 5th grader english.:lol :sadwave:

dXsquared
02-24-2003, 04:18 PM
coil overs are adjustable... springs are not

Travis

Jims 86LXI HB
02-24-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 89LXIGUY
OK, I read the "important"s, but idon't think i quite got it . so the best bet is coilovers with koni's, butaren't coilovers just springs around the struts. I know im probably wrong and yall think i stupid , but please explain the suspension to me in 5th grader english.:lol :sadwave:

Your confusing the differance between Tein's, Apexi, Jic, ect, those are examples of full bodied coilovers that have matching struts built into them. Since none of the major brands offer them for the 3g, I'm only talking about sleave type coilovers, like Ground-Control's. Sleave type coilovers do NOT come with struts built into them. You must choose the right struts to buy seperately. Koni's are the way to go, or revalved Koni's or revalved Bilsteins.

COILOVERS are NOT automatically the best for you. You would want them over regular lowering springs for these reason's.
1. You need to change the ride height on the car regularely.
2. You DO NOT want progressive springs, you want the linear type of springs that coilovers use. (A progressive spring is like a dual rate spring, a soft part that get's much firmer as it's compressed. A linear spring has no such soft part, it's at it's full firmness the moment weight is put on them.)
3. You are not satified with the stiffness of regular lowering springs and you plan on revalved Koni's or revalved Bilsteins. You want handling and your willing to have a stiff suspension to get it.

What do you want from your lowered car? Lots of guys are perfectly happy just running lowering springs. How much lower will it need to be to make you happy?

StUpiD8000
02-24-2003, 09:10 PM
no your not stupid I AM