PDA

View Full Version : HELP failed emissions test

Hondastar
02-24-2003, 06:33 PM
I failed my emissions test pretty bad and I can't figure out the problem. My car has a brand new sei muffler and the rest of the exaust system is 2 years old. I dont know if they replaced the cat or not I didnt have the work done before. I take very good care of my car, so I dont know what the problem is. I tuned it up about a year ago, new wires, plugs, cap, rotor, pcv. The first time they ran it passed the co and the nox but failed the hc. Then I drove around for a while got it nice and hot and it then failed co and the hc. It passed last year and ive only put 10000 miles on it since then and it now has 155,000 on it. Ive heard when the egr valve goes bad they get really hot and mine isnt so that cant be the problem. But my car runs like brand new. I used to run premium gas in it until recently gas shot up. Any ideas or comments let me know im fucking pissed not to mention having to spend 148 dollars for a rear balljoint to pass inspection and now emissions.

Blue Impact
02-25-2003, 12:11 AM
Get that stuff that guarantees you'll pass emissions. I don't know what it's called, but someone's used them before. Also, if you have an aftermarket intake, that could be one of the factors to why you didn't pass. Other than that, I can't think of anything else that might be the problem.

shepherd79
02-25-2003, 04:20 AM
get one of those stuff that garantees you will pass emissions, you can find them at any autoparts store.
or you can just use one of those carbon build up removal things. it works too.

Grant2k
02-25-2003, 10:37 AM
chenge your oxegen sensors. do your egr and pcv again too. the oxygen sensor is the biggy though.

meohmy01
02-26-2003, 04:57 PM
that emissions stuff and 50 bucks helped me pass emissions with my 94 accord.

rocky2
02-26-2003, 07:03 PM
I feel your pain. Try disconnecting your plug wires from plugs then just let them semi-pushed on plug. Then start engine. See if taking plug wire off plug while running has any affect on engine running at all. Mine did not have any affect on #1 and #2 cylinders,I'm trying to figure it out myself. I've been all over this engine. I even sparyed starting fliud from a creeper postion upward and engine rpms increased,I can't find vacum leak but I suspect its at 1&2 side of manifold. By the way wear welders gloves and use a plastic long pliers when taking off spark plug wires.....sometimes its the only way to trouble shoot. Also as you listen to exhaust at tailpipe end you know its not hitting on all 4. Flunked smog test twice with high co&hc. I'm gonna get this thing right. I'm thinking of taking cam bolts loose closing valves then put air pressure into intake manifold kind of reverseing pressure to find leak and blocking off carb inlet flange.Any other input welcome.

Grant2k
02-26-2003, 08:26 PM
if it runs fine on 2 cylinders with no wires than maybe the other 2 have bad compression, or is that what you figured? has anybody ever had to change the rings in our cars? how long have people found them to last? rings are something i have never seen come up here.

Black89LX-i
02-27-2003, 05:42 PM
Buy RXP it works but you have to fill up with high octane fuel and burn it out. When you do that it should pass.Don't go buy the crap that says "Guaranted to Pass" thats just BS.