PDA

View Full Version : Blown

MrBen
02-24-2003, 07:35 PM
My back speakers are old. I looked at them today with a friend and discovered there is nothing left of them, just absolutely blown to death. I think the sun might've played a role in their death too. What would you guys recommend I do for my new back speakers? They used to sound great... Pioneers. I'm looking for something that isn't going to deteriorate quite like these did. I do play my stereo loud as I don't have subs yet. I don't want something too expensive either. Thanks...

jeffreygivens
02-24-2003, 08:53 PM
you should get some xplodes they are pretty good for the price

MrBen
02-24-2003, 08:56 PM
I havent been too impressed with their quality, I had a pair of speakers. I have an xplod deck and it's ok.

AccordEpicenter
02-25-2003, 12:29 AM
yeah i wasnt either. Alpines or Polks are good, kenwoods are ok, pioneers are ok, sony i wasnt fond of, jbl sucks, as does blaupunkt. Infinity is great.

Project-LXi
02-25-2003, 01:22 AM
I think the speakers in our car were made of paper. Mine were deteriorated when I got the car, so I went to circuit city and got Kenwood 6x9s on sale for only $90, and they sound great.

shepherd79
02-25-2003, 04:28 AM
yeah, my stock speakers didn't have any paper left on them.
i would say go with Alpine or Infinity. try looking on ebay. you can get them cheap this days.

original2k
02-25-2003, 06:32 AM
i have kenwoods and fosgates, didn't pay a lot for them, if u can't find alpine/kappa/cerwin vega for cheap go ahead and check out the fosgates, they have a little more thump in them, but watch out, they sey there the right size but when u try to put them in they WAY too deep, i wanted to pop them in the fronts but they stuck out, so i had to put them in the rear, and they still don't fit right

wallyyfm
02-25-2003, 08:59 AM
i have those walmart Pioneer 6 x 9s, the 3-ways, pretty impressed for 80 bucks, had them 3 years and havent blown

MrBen
02-25-2003, 10:13 AM
Well I want more thump for the buck. Sounds like Alpine, Kenwood, and Pioneer top the list. I can't get 6x9's since mines an 86, and I'm not going to bother retrofitting them. I guess I'll check ebay and see whats going on there. Thanks guys.

MrBen
02-25-2003, 11:21 AM
I was on ebay and they have 6.5" speaker subs. Is this worthwhile? Is it just like a regular sub, just way smaller? Would I need an amp? What brand should I get?

MrBen
02-25-2003, 02:56 PM
People are reading this but not giving advice...

Help!

jeffreygivens
02-25-2003, 08:44 PM
how much do you want to spend

Bobs89LXi
02-25-2003, 08:52 PM
I can recommend two brands. The Infinity Kappa Series or the MB Quarts. I had the MB Quarts and they aren't bad for the price.

MrBen
02-25-2003, 08:58 PM
I've never even heard of those.

Im sold on Pioneer, they are nice. I guess I'll consider these. I still want the most bass and clarity for the buck. I'm willing to spend up to $70.00.

pimp86LX
02-25-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
Well I want more thump for the buck. Sounds like Alpine, Kenwood, and Pioneer top the list. I can't get 6x9's since mines an 86, and I'm not going to bother retrofitting them. I guess I'll check ebay and see whats going on there. Thanks guys.

its so easy to retro them in. the back deck is like bristol, or some thin wood, its real easy to modify for the 6x9's i bet a bunch of ppl have done it. you will be happy with the difference in thump form a 6.5 to a 6x9.

AccordEpicenter
02-25-2003, 09:53 PM
i think the best bang for the buck can be had with either Infinity Reference series or Pioneers

MrBen
02-25-2003, 10:05 PM
No it's not easy to retro them in. I have a 4 door. There is no wood back there, and retroing them in would require some serious work.

I havent heard alpine yet and I know Pioneer is good. I think I will just go to circuit city or best buy and blast the car audio section out with me testing the speakers. Thanks guys.

87DXHatch
02-25-2003, 11:02 PM
Bob, you didn't mention that MB Quarts tend to sound extremely "bright" because of the metal tweeters. MB Quarts are not speakers that anyone can listen to and like, they cater to a certain taste.

Defiant[YD]
02-26-2003, 12:56 PM
really? i didn't know that about the MB Quarts.
i thought they're just the best speakers out there IMO. cuz when i was at the shop, comparing them with the rest of the bunch, ie: ultimate, infinity, pioneer, jvc, kenwood, sony.... ahem....., etc....
MB Q came out on top. just that their subs aren't too hot i think when compared with infinity. infinity's will shatter ur rear winshield when hooked up to a good system <--- what i heard.