PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft noise on timing side

FatPickle
04-09-2019, 06:50 AM
I have been hearing a weird noise getting worse as I drive. I was pretty sure it was the rocker assembly, and i wasnt aware these cars dont use bearings in head. So to be sure, I removed the camshaft to inspect and I've found some damage, but I'm unsure if I should get a remanufactured head or take it to my local machine shop to have it magnafluxed. Not sure how to post pics on here but I did take a few

FatPickle
04-09-2019, 06:55 AM
https://ibb.co/w0NPCP6
https://ibb.co/d7rm4Zk
https://ibb.co/xHLc4pY
https://ibb.co/g7YgpRr

FatPickle
04-09-2019, 09:12 AM
Its worth nothing that I also think the cam seal may have been making the noise I was hearing. There was a rubbery line melted around the shaft. Guess I'm just gonna have to pull the gear and put a new seal on, change the oil and see what happens.

Dr_Snooz
04-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Yeah. An oil change would be a great idea. That's looking pretty dirty. It would be a good idea to adjust the valves too if you haven't in awhile.

FatPickle
04-10-2019, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I actually got two oil changes, and cleaned the head the best I could. I'm gonna run this oil for a week or so then change it again and put a quart of Lucas stabilizer in with it

Dr_Snooz
04-11-2019, 06:57 PM
How long has that oil been in there?

FatPickle
04-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Funny story actually...
I had stopped driving it in February of '18 and started driving again just this January. It needed changed when I parked it, basically I'm a dumbo and I know I should've changed it. I'm really forgetful and have been slammed at work until this past week. I'd say it had 5k miles on it, with the exception that it sat for 11 months, and one week of that time was without and oil cap because a POS stole mine.

FatPickle
04-12-2019, 12:28 PM
I've put it back together and it doesnt sound horrible, it's just that it makes an awful whining noise now, and it's coming from the same area. Right behind the cam gear

2ndGenGuy
04-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Those journals do look pretty bad.

What does the camshaft look like? How rough do those feel with your fingers? Can you catch any edges with your fingernail?

A last ditch effort might be to try to smooth them out just a tiny bit with some emory cloth...

FatPickle
04-12-2019, 04:47 PM
I'm fairly positive. I've checked around the carb adapter plate for the Weber and the intake manifold both for leaks with carb cleaner and the adapter leaked before but has been fixed. Also worth noting this think makes a sucking sound like nothing I've ever heard before, when using ANY amount of throttle. I mean a slight touch and it sounds significantly louder than any CAI I've ever heard, and can be heard with the windows cracked, over my 2.25 straight pipe with a DC muffler, clear as day the loudest noise coming from the engine bay. Second loudest being this odd whining noise I'm posting about. I always just assumed the loud sucking sound was the fuel entering the venturi, and it's very rich so that slurping sound could be the large stream of fuel trying to break up

InAccordance
04-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Do not fret my friend, that sucking noise is the glorious intake of air that carb is slurping up. You should hear twin DCOEs lol. I have a very loud exhaust (header, 2.5" straight piped to a flowmaster 44, cat and resonator removed) and I can still hear my carbs over that. When I had the 32/36 and had it rigged so both barrels opened at the same time, it was pretty loud as well.
There is a sweet spot on the dgv just when the secondary opens, it will whistle. Pretty fun to get it to do that..
As far as the cam bearing surfaces go, could probably have them resurfaced but they have to be super careful not to take much material off, isn't really any tolerance room but maybe just smoothing them back out is possible. If not, you have to get a new head.

Oldblueaccord
04-13-2019, 01:34 AM
Oil looks like it got water contaminated at some point or even coolant the chocalte brown color is not good, plus the steel spring retainers are rusted on the top. Dont know of any way to fix the head bearing surfaces with out a huge cost of rewelding and machining. Or of course a new head.

A tight timing belt whines pretty good. There some you tubes someplace of mine idling I would just run it with 20w50 oil. let it run a few mins on cold morning to get the oil warmed up.

conozo
04-13-2019, 04:41 AM
I agree

That oil doesn't look right to me. Blackstone-Labs.com is a company you can send an oil sample in to get it evaluated $28. They would tell you the condition of the oil and if there is any coolant and all kinds of other information.