PDA

View Full Version : What do you think??

rideredorgohome
02-25-2003, 06:47 AM
Ok, so at my local speed shop the only springs they offer are a set of Eibach's that will lower my car by 3/4". Has anyone ever tried these springs on their car? :cool:

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-25-2003, 07:27 AM
Eiback makes really good springs, but if they only lower 3/4 inch you aren't even going to notice much, if any difference over stock. I'd say you need at least a 1.5 inch to notice a difference really

AZmike
02-25-2003, 08:44 AM
Even if there is only a small difference in ride hieght, if the spring rates are different it will still have a big impact on how your car rides and handles. If the new springs will be much stiffer you should get stronger dampers (struts) to maintain a good ride Otherwise you'll end up bouncing over bumps and through turns.

Jims 86LXI HB
02-25-2003, 09:39 AM
Well, ummmm I've got a different spin on eibach prokits and sportlines. Their rear spring rates are ubsurd, almost laughable. I got nothing against the quality, but everything againt how they tuned them. Their tech's are always a pleasure to talk to, and even they, can't understand why such weak rear spring rates are used on them. As low as their rear spring rates are, the car will understeer more, not smart, it already has enough of that from the factory! I had a nice conversation with the owner of progress group and we got on the topic of eibach and how most of their FWD springs have low rear rates. The owner of progress group said, "yeah I don't understand that either, But I get alot of business because of that".

Now none of this applies to the eibach ERS springs used in Ground-Control coilovers.

And as mentioned the right struts, are very important.

kevin b
02-25-2003, 10:35 AM
I've always thought that eibach springs were made for cars with no other mod's done(i.e rims, struts), thats why i figured the drop that they gave was less than everyone else.

Jims 86LXI HB
02-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by kevin b
I've always thought that eibach springs were made for cars with no other mod's done(i.e rims, struts), thats why i figured the drop that they gave was less than everyone else.

Thats where lots of people get screwed. It's false information that is put out by shops, individuals and even some of the spring makers, that do not know the facts or serve to make a sale with out caring about the people actually driving the car. Very few cars come with factory struts or shocks that have enough extra dampning to allow for any extra leeway to handle stiffer springs and not show signs of a mismatch. Most all production vehicles are underdampned by the car makers. Some cars are severly underdampned by the factory, VW is a good example.

A look at spring rates proves this thinking false. Eibach prokits are front 44% rear -17% stiffer than stock(yes they are actually negitive 17% in the rear). We see problems just running springs that are only 26% stiffer than stock. And that's while running Tokico H.P.s which are slightly firmer than stock struts are.

Where's no way around spending money to get your suspension right on a lowered car.