PDA

View Full Version : Clutch noise

InAccordance
04-30-2019, 03:42 PM
Ok so, I'm getting this lovely noise when I release the clutch pedal. Then and only then does it make this noise. Sounds sort of like a high pitched grindy whine. Does it sitting still and letting pedal out and does it when pressing the gas and letting pedal out. Doesnt do it all the time either which trips me out even more.
Do have a small leak around the shift shaft so I did check the fluid level and while it was a small amount low, only took about one quarter of a quart.
Searched around here doe a while and couldn't find a similar issue that implied the same type of noise. Will get a video here shortly.

InAccordance
04-30-2019, 04:31 PM
Tightened up the clutch cable and did help alleviate the noise some. Still doing it but not as bad.
Will also make the noise if you let the clutch out in neutral but only once. Like you drop it neutral, let pedal out, makes noise but does not repeat noise when pressing pedal in and letting it back out until you put it in a gear. Then putting it in neutral and releasing pedal will cause it to make noise again but only once
This is weird...

InAccordance
04-30-2019, 06:34 PM
On the way home from work: Makes slight noise leaving work but not too bad. Get on interstate, all good so far. Take my exit and slow down, notice it's hard to get into 3rd gear (had slowed down enough to warrant 3rd), but does go in, let out clutch and as pedal is moving up, noise is fairly loud. Change to 4th, no noise. Stop at gas station. Leaving gas station, reverse makes loud noise like rubbing two blocks of metal together. All forward gears make no noise. Get home sitting in driveway, holding brake I let pedal out until clutch starts to grab, forward gears make no noise, reverse is real bad. Really sounds like taking two blocks of metal and rubbing them together.
CLutch never slips or anything, can still roast the tires off if I wanted to (yes, I did test it once just to see if clutch would slip... it did not). No lurching under load or anything like that. Clutch is still smooth, no funky vibrations that aren't out of the ordinary.
I did however notice noise when pushing gear shifter into gear. Like going from 1st to 2nd, going out of 1st makes no noise but when you get halfway and start to push into 2nd, it makes noise. Same applies to 3rd and 4th. 5th has never made noise.

InAccordance
04-30-2019, 06:35 PM
Sorry for the walls of text, just trying to be as descriptive as possible..

Oldblueaccord
04-30-2019, 07:31 PM
Throw out bearing would be my first guess. In neutral when you let the clutch out noise is the bearing or how it is sitting on the fork.

I never found a replacement cage that holds the bearing or the fork.

InAccordance
05-01-2019, 09:53 AM
https://youtu.be/4keOA5zB9Mo

Short video of the noise. Was sitting in driveway with ebrake on just letting clutch out but not enough to stall it.
1st noise is reverse which is the loudest, forward gears make noise but not nearly as loud.

Dr_Snooz
05-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Bad throwout bearing?

InAccordance
05-04-2019, 06:22 PM
New development... Noise has started to occur with clutch in or out now. I have also noticed that if the clutch is in and in a gear, it makes noise. If you then take it out of gear into neutral and let the clutch out, noise stops and will not start again until you put it in a gear. After taking it out of gear and letting clutch out you can push clutch in and out as much as you want with zero noise. As soon as you put it in a gear though, noise returns.
Also, when I shut the car off after getting home, the noise kept going for a few seconds AFTER the engine had stopped. If I'm not mistaken, the clutch does not spin freely once the engine has stopped, it should stop at the same time. So something is still spinning even after engine stops. That leads me to think the input shaft bearing in the trans itself...
It is also releasing hard in higher rpms.. It doesn't grab any harder than it normally does but when you push clutch in it is releasing pretty rough.

conozo
05-04-2019, 06:55 PM
If it does make noise after the engine if off and you have released the clutch petal and the shifter is in neutral then it has to be internal. Listen to the transmission with a mechanics stethoscope while in neutral. It should give you more clues as to where the sound is coming from.

How many miles on this tranny, has it ever had any work on it?

InAccordance
05-04-2019, 08:58 PM
188k when I got it and no work as far as I know.
Yea, it was in neutral with the pedal out.

InAccordance
05-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Well, something finally broke. Got to work and as I was pulling into a parking spot in 1st gear, pushed pedal down and she would not disengage at all. Had to knock it out of gear by hand cause it kept lurching forward. Shut off engine and even with it off, clutch would not disengage. Had a friend redneck tow me home (good ol tow rope) and while we were sitting at a red light, I did manage to get it to go into 1st but it was hard to get it to go in. Tried 2nd and it went it but would not go into 3rd (while sitting at the light stopped) Tried 1st again and wouldn't go in.
Clutch pedal still has pressure on it so I dont think the fork or pressure plate are broken. I'm leaning towards the disc being fuxxed. Which if it is, me and that company are going to have words cause the damn thing isn't even 6 months old and maybe at best has 5k miles on it.

InAccordance
05-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Got it apart, problem found...
https://i.imgur.com/XsKpNjFh.jpg
Rivets and springs have been hitting the flywheel bolts
https://i.imgur.com/saEeXZth.jpg
Left a bunch of shavings everywhere...
https://i.imgur.com/sDM8yaOh.jpg
Transmission is good, drained the oil out of it, not a speck of metal or anything... fork and throwout bearing are good. Pressure plate is in great shape... just a shoddy design of the clutch disc. Have the spare disc so I'll throw that in and should be good to go.

Shane86
05-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Dam that sucks man. What kind of clutch kit you have

InAccordance
05-06-2019, 06:05 PM
Exedy kit but the disc was M-PACT
Still have the Exedy disc too so yay for that.

I should have took a better picture cause it's hard to tell in that one, but the springs are actually pushed in crooked so I'd assume that explains why it wouldn't disengage.

conozo
05-07-2019, 03:21 AM
So the springs came loose and we're grinding against the flywheel? How would that happen?

InAccordance
05-07-2019, 11:16 AM
No idea unless something got into it and tore them up. There are alot of metal shavings all over the place, like more than I would expect from the amount of damage to the disc. Almost like something fell in there and got mangled up doing damage to the disc as well. Hard to know for sure.

conozo
05-07-2019, 11:52 AM
yea, i guess a bolt could have dropped into the timing sight hole. A similar thing happened to me, i put my rebuilt transmission back on and was connecting the last part, the speed sensor and i dropped a bolt way down into the tranny. I was able to fish it out with those telescoping magnet sticks.

Edit. Looking at the pictures again and i think you are right, the rivet between the springs on the clutch is mangled. Almost had to be something else in there to touch the rivet. Who put your clutch in?

InAccordance
05-07-2019, 04:05 PM
I did lol.
Took the disc to a friend who owns his own shop and he thinks I got a defective disc cause it looks like the springs were coming out and he pointed out the flywheel has a slight groove dug into it which could explain where the shavings came from. Makes sense to me.

Oldblueaccord
05-07-2019, 09:05 PM
What fly wheel is that because I don't remember one having bolts on the friction ring like that stock.

InAccordance
05-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Unorthodox Racing lightweight flywheel

Oldblueaccord
05-08-2019, 09:08 AM
So the springs came loose and we're grinding against the flywheel? How would that happen?

I think usually the springs are steaked into the disc hub or riveted. Some reason they have come loose.

InAccordance
05-08-2019, 05:15 PM
All day in the sun but she's back together with the spare disc. So far so good, no funky noises and no slippage. I'm wore out...

conozo
05-08-2019, 07:13 PM
:cheers:

InAccordance
05-09-2019, 06:28 PM
So apparently when putting everything back together I swapped the power steering lines that run into the speed sensor (aka the bit that regulates how much power assist you get based on speed). So doing 70 on the interstate and I barely moved the steering wheel almost made me wreck. WOOPS!

jtb_116
05-15-2019, 10:17 AM
I would've sworn that was throwout bearing, good to know for other people though

conozo
05-15-2019, 11:00 AM
Is switching the power steering lines some kind of 3gee track mode hack now?

InAccordance
05-15-2019, 08:41 PM
May be. Downside is you have no assist sitting still. Was amusing afterwards.