PDA

View Full Version : Altenator Giving me crap.....

Gerst240
02-25-2003, 09:10 AM
Alrighty guys my battery light is on and my idle is around 500-1000 higher than normal. The car is a 86 dx and i took a look at the belt and it is pretty jacked like half missing in some places and doesnt look good. If i were to get a new belt do you think that would fix the problem or should i get a whole new altenator?

thanks

mindlos
02-25-2003, 09:32 AM
Got a voltmeter? If not, get an auto parts store to test the battery and alternator for free. They also do a load test which is more than you can do with a voltmeter. Check your wires and harness for loose connections too.

Gerst240
02-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Well the thing is the car really isnt legal no insurance and no plates, so i cant drive it anywhere I got it last week off a friend and it will be my dailly driver to keep miles off my teg. I am just thinking im gonna have to buy a blet anyway so ill just wait on the altenator......i guess ill see whne i put it all back together again .....damn this car

Grant2k
02-25-2003, 10:40 AM
my brother just had a problem with his truck. there was a syntrifical swith inside that was sticking and wasn't expanding until really high RPMs when it should have been working at idle. if your pully is spinning than it's not the belt. just change the alternator. it's not terribly expensive and it can be done from the engine bey despite what anybody says.

but you shoudl DEFINITLY still get a new belt because that's not safe.

Gerst240
02-25-2003, 10:46 AM
ok thanks for the reply now whats the easiest way to get this altenator out of the bay ? i have already unbolted it and its dangling. It seems like i need to take the mounting bracket off the engine cause i cant even get it down past it.....Will i have to drop the CV shaft? and whats the easiest way to do this?
thanks

Grant2k
02-25-2003, 11:20 AM
everybody will tell you you have to do it by taking out the axle, but you can do it from the top. just look at it and see what has to move and move it. it's just hoses and stuff. if i did it i'm sure you can.

ACCORD EX
02-25-2003, 01:25 PM
the belt could be slipping if it's a bad one ! i would change teh belt first ( you'll change it anyway ) then check the output voltage while car is running 14.5V before changing the distributer !

:EDIT:

it's typo i ment alternator not distributer ! !! what the hell was i thinking of damn ! :D

MIKE

cruznz
02-25-2003, 09:57 PM
definitely do as mike suggested and change your belt,.....if you do have a multi-meter you can do a load test......get a base reading first....measure battery voltage with engine off..this is your base voltage........next step is a no-load voltage test,start the engine and run it at about 1500rpm......volt meter reading should be more than the base voltage ,but no more than 2.0 volts higher......next step is a load test,run the engine at approx 2000rpm,turn all your accessories on,(heater,a/c,lights radio....)to load the charging system,...if working correctly,voltage should be about 0.5 volts higher than the base reading