PDA

View Full Version : new to me 89 Lxi where do i start?

Anotherrumor
05-06-2019, 04:48 PM
long story short, i have been given an 89 Lxi with 137k miles on it by my grandma, it was my grandfathers and he passed away about 6 years ago, the car has been sitting for atleast that long, if not longer.(i would guess atleast 7 if not 8) its in mint condition. no rust no leaks(yet..) and the car has been in a garage on a battery tender. the gas was drained when it was stored, i simply put some gas in it today and tried starting it. after about 5 mins or so of cycling the fuel pump and trying to start it, it finally popped off and sorta ran. sounds and feels like its missing on atleast 2 cylinders ive got a wire set on the way(broke 2 of the 4 trying to take them off) and new spark plugs which will be here Wednesday. short bit on me, im very mechanically inclined(i've built a dozen or so 500+whp subarus) but know NOTHING about hondas let alone one of this age.. that being said, this is where you guys come in! What are some common issues or things i should check before i go any further? i'm suspect of the injectors because of how long the have been sitting without any fuel in them to keep them from rusting/corroding internally. with our subarus we could pull them and use a 9v battery to test them to see if they click, that okay to do here? otherwise where can i look for replacement injectors online? i would feel much better with some cleaned/remaned injectors..
any and all help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!
-Ryan

Shane86
05-06-2019, 04:58 PM
replace the fuel filter too

Anotherrumor
05-06-2019, 05:02 PM
yup! that was also on my list. thanks for reminding me.

Shane86
05-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Yeah it's been sitting for so long It probably just need some fresh gas to get through it. But if you remove your fuel rail there should be little filters that go down inside the injectors that you can pull out and clean

Anotherrumor
05-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Yeah it's been sitting for so long It probably just need some fresh gas to get through it. But if you remove your fuel rail there should be little filters that go down inside the injectors that you can pull out and clean

ill try that Wednesday after i get the fresh plugs and wires on it. thank you.

Dr_Snooz
05-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Sounds like a wonderful find! Congrats! If it's as good as you describe, you probably won't need to do much. Just get it running decently well and after a few tanks of gas, it should be back to its old self. Enjoy the handling. These are among the best suspensions ever made. You'll want to give the car a thorough going over. Look for leaks, cracking rubber, etc. You probably won't find a lot to do, other than drive it and enjoy of course.

Post pics soon for us.

Anotherrumor
05-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Sounds like a wonderful find! Congrats! If it's as good as you describe, you probably won't need to do much. Just get it running decently well and after a few tanks of gas, it should be back to its old self. Enjoy the handling. These are among the best suspensions ever made. You'll want to give the car a thorough going over. Look for leaks, cracking rubber, etc. You probably won't find a lot to do, other than drive it and enjoy of course.

Post pics soon for us.

ill be sure to post some pictures =) it pretty much look just like yours, same color

Hauntd ca3
05-06-2019, 07:19 PM
And if its been sitting that long , once its running , do a cam belt and associated bits

Honda#1
05-10-2019, 04:21 PM
And if its been sitting that long , once its running , do a cam belt and associated bits

You got this right! Definitely replace the belts, anything rubber based that is needed to run the car replace. Sitting that long, dry rot. You should also flush out all the fluids.