PDA

View Full Version : Simple no spark distributor test

Donnyten
05-18-2019, 03:32 PM
I've been troubleshooting a no spark condition that occurs intermittently at random times. The manual States to check resistances between both sensors in the distributor. When I check them they were within range......but that dont mean shit apparently

To be sure I took my multi meter ,put it on AC voltage since that's with those sensors generate and if they don't generate shit replace the distributor or find a way to replace those sensors if ur handy.

In my case no spark occurred when sensors didn't generate voltage. To prove it is the distributor, When the car finally started I shut it off and measured AC voltage on the terminals again and sure enough they generated voltage and I got spark. Of course this is done while cranking.

I'm sure some of you knew that but for those that didn't, there you go. Annoying problem really. Especially since this dustributor is only a year old

Oldblueaccord
05-19-2019, 01:42 PM
I've been troubleshooting a no spark condition that occurs intermittently at random times. The manual States to check resistances between both sensors in the distributor. When I check them they were within range......but that dont mean shit apparently

To be sure I took my multi meter ,put it on AC voltage since that's with those sensors generate and if they don't generate shit replace the distributor or find a way to replace those sensors if ur handy.

In my case no spark occurred when sensors didn't generate voltage. To prove it is the distributor, When the car finally started I shut it off and measured AC voltage on the terminals again and sure enough they generated voltage and I got spark. Of course this is done while cranking.

I'm sure some of you knew that but for those that didn't, there you go. Annoying problem really. Especially since this dustributor is only a year old

Yes its a good test I dont know why its not in the books.

Most of the pickup coils I find is hot they go open and then they cool they work again.

Donnyten
05-23-2019, 04:53 PM
Interesting.. thnks for the input