PDA

View Full Version : Drag race tech denied

InAccordance
05-18-2019, 04:04 PM
So I live near Bristol and went for the Saturday night street fights. I was rejected by tech because I dont have a clutch interlock. Wtf.
Can I even put one in since mine was manual swapped? The switch is still in the pedal just dont know how i would wire it in to work.

Dr_Snooz
05-18-2019, 06:33 PM
I'm pretty sure you can do it. Let us know how you wire it up. I meant to figure it out after my swap, but other stuff gets in the way.

InAccordance
05-18-2019, 06:42 PM
Honestly I thought about putting a kill switch in and turning it off, show em it wont start lol

ShiRen
05-18-2019, 07:39 PM
Did these cars even come with a clutch interlock? My car has always started without the clutch and I've just rolled with it, never bothered to check, pressing the clutch in to start the engine is just extra thrust bearing wear! :rofl:

InAccordance
05-18-2019, 09:54 PM
They did. At the top of the pedal there is a switch that looks like the brake light switch.

I'm just irritated that they failed me on tech cause of that, I passed everything else easily.. Even told them it had been manual swapped, they didn't care.

Oldblueaccord
05-19-2019, 06:12 AM
So I live near Bristol and went for the Saturday night street fights. I was rejected by tech because I dont have a clutch interlock. Wtf.
Can I even put one in since mine was manual swapped? The switch is still in the pedal just dont know how i would wire it in to work.

And a 1969 Camaro does? One of the dumber rules I ever heard of.

ShiRen
05-19-2019, 06:26 AM
They did. At the top of the pedal there is a switch that looks like the brake light switch.

I'm just irritated that they failed me on tech cause of that, I passed everything else easily.. Even told them it had been manual swapped, they didn't care.

Right... thats there, but the only thing that I've ever seen that do is shut off the cruise control. It even works better than my cruise control.

Dr_Snooz
05-19-2019, 08:22 AM
Honestly I thought about putting a kill switch in and turning it off, show em it wont start lol

There's no need to resort to subterfuge. Take another look at post #7 of the How-To (https://www.3geez.com/forum/how/102-convert-automatic-manual-transmission.html) thread. Then pull your console and take another look at the wire connector you pulled off of the old auto shifter assembly. You see the two heavy black/white wires that I've looped together in that post to get the car to start? Those are the wires to the old interlock on the auto shifter. They prevented you from trying to start the car in Drive or Reverse, etc. Simply extend those wires over to the clutch interlock switch and you're good to go. Bear in mind those are heavy gauge wires. I'm not sure how much current they carry, but Honda would have had a good reason to spend extra on copper, so you might want to use a relay. Let us know how it goes.

I have to do this on my car. I can't believe it took me 9 years to figure out what was staring me in the face the whole time.

To my knowledge, the 86-87 3gs did not have the interlock.

Dr_Snooz
05-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Edit: The pink wire might be an even better choice. That kept you from being able to set the cruise if the car wasn't in gear and disengaged it if you shifted out of gear (or at least that's my hazy recollection of how it worked). Depending on how the clutch switch works, that might give you exactly what you want, and it would save you the trouble of using a relay.

Please confirm what works so I can update the How-To.

InAccordance
05-19-2019, 01:25 PM
And a 1969 Camaro does? One of the dumber rules I ever heard of.

Most of those are automatics and the track requires a neutral switch for them.

InAccordance
05-19-2019, 01:31 PM
@snooze, but I dont want the interlock.
What relay would you use if you took the black/white wires to the switch?

Dr_Snooz
05-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Yeah, ignore me. I confused what you want with what I want. Not sure on the relay. You can download the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual from the link in my sig and trace the wire through the circuit, but if I'm reading it right, that wire comes from the ignition switch and goes to the starter solenoid. It looks like it comes through a 40A fuse at the very start of the circuit, so 40A should work well. Do your own due diligence, of course. I'm tired and need to go to bed now.

InAccordance
05-19-2019, 09:16 PM
No worries man, if I can help you in some way, all good as far as I'm concerned.
Linking the two wire from the old auto switch into the clutch switch does seem logical so maybe that would work.
Me, I may just put a toggle switch inbetween them and go the subterfuge route =P

Dr_Snooz
05-20-2019, 06:51 PM
I hear you. Now they have those interlocks on the new auto transmissions that force you to step on the brake before you shift into gear. They fill me with rage. I'll shift the car how I want gosh darnit!

Best of luck.

InAccordance
05-29-2019, 06:56 PM
So for the record, putting a toggle switch on the two black/white wires does in fact work. Switch it off and she wont start but will show everything powered up, switch on and she will crank.
Interestingly enough, switch it off with vehicle running will not shut engine off.
I'm going to put the toggle in the center console where that one switch I have no idea what it does used to be.