PDA

View Full Version : 1 or 2 flats. ???

Dr_Snooz
05-18-2019, 08:28 PM
File this in the "Dr_Snooz Dumb Questions" file. I need to buy a new PS pump but when I look on Rock Auto, they want to know if I have "1 flat" or "2 flats" on my PS pump shaft. I haven't the foggiest idea and I'm too lazy to dismantle my existing setup to find out. More accurately, I've tried several times to find out, but the pulley bolt is kinda seized... and somewhat difficult to get a straight shot at with a ratchet... and my sockets are a little more sloppy than they should be... and I kind of facked the pulley bolt in my haste the first time. To find my "flats" now, I'd have to pull the pump completely out and get after it with extractors or a grinder or something savage and ugly. My temptation is to buy whatever is cheaper and trust my Dremel tool to correct any fitment issues.

Before doing that, however, I'll ask if anyone knows how to find the flats without disassembling the pump?

Shane86
05-18-2019, 09:41 PM
The pulley bolt is reverse thread. And I believe my 86 only has one flat I will double check though

InAccordance
05-18-2019, 09:50 PM
Take the pulley off and on the shaft there will be either one flat spot or two. Works as a locking surface so the pulley doesn't just spin on the shaft if the bolt were loose or something.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,1989,accord,2.0l+l4,1166969,steering,power+s teering+pump,7380
Click the picture of the cardone one (best image to represent what I'm getting at). See that flat spot on the upper surface of the shaft? That's it.

Shane86
05-18-2019, 09:57 PM
Mine has one flat 9583

AC439
05-19-2019, 02:07 AM
Can you just do the rebuild kit instead of new pump? I have been thinking about the same thing but when it says 1 or 2 flats, I am more leaning towards the rebuild route.

Dr_Snooz
05-19-2019, 08:05 AM
The pulley bolt is reverse thread.

Well, that explains how I facked the bolt then. And it also explains why my extractor sockets will be useless.

Thanks for the heads up.