PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem EFI

CB Coupe SEi
05-20-2019, 05:49 PM
89 Accord Automatic SEI Starts cold most times, but struggles on first few attempts after it's warm. Any ideas appreciated.

CB Coupe SEi
05-20-2019, 06:06 PM
Here's a video link of the Sei starting attempts.
https://youtu.be/DYinwUwWTIA

Dr_Snooz
05-20-2019, 06:35 PM
ROFLMAO!! Yeah man, I might know a little something about that.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/efi-tech/142004-warm-restart-issue.html?highlight=warm+restart+issue

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

CB Coupe SEi
05-20-2019, 08:25 PM
ROFLMAO!! Yeah man, I might know a little something about that.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/efi-tech/142004-warm-restart-issue.html?highlight=warm+restart+issue

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I read thru your post, I see you feel my pain with this issue. I probably should have said that I have a new battery, removed the starter, had it tested (good), removed the +/- battery cables to completely clean both ends and connections. \
Unlike yours, mine cranks when warm but sounds terrible, as though it's running on 2 of the four cylinders, kinda pulsing when warm as my YouTube video shows. What does the TW stand for on the sensor you mentioned? I have removed the distributor cap cleaned. Wires are relatively new and not more than 3000 mile on them. I also thought of taking my injectors apart to take a look at cleaning them, I first poured a bottle of StarTron StarBrite cleaner in my full tank of fuel to see if it would do any good. I don't drive my car very often maybe 10-15 times a year, so that explains possible problems with fuel, we have 10% alcohol in it here.

Shane86
05-20-2019, 08:50 PM
Any codes flashing on the ECU

CB Coupe SEi
05-20-2019, 09:03 PM
no codes, I looked at that and was hoping it could point to something. I turn the key to position 2 with the car off. No light. Let me know if I'm reading it wrong.

Shane86
05-20-2019, 09:08 PM
no codes, I looked at that and was hoping it could point to something. I turn the key to position 2 with the car off. No light. Let me know if I'm reading it wrong.

Did you check for the lights on the ECU itself under the driver seat

Dr_Snooz
05-20-2019, 09:44 PM
If the CEL doesn't come on for 2 seconds when you first turn the car on, that means your ECU is dead. The TW sensor supplies engine temperature info to the ECU. I don't know what it stands for and I don't think it's your problem. What finally solved my issue was cleaning up my ground contacts and replacing my ignition switch. You might look at those items for yours too. The valve cover ground is an especially fragile connection and many stereo shops will wire a new one rather than trust it. The slow start indicates a ground problem. The fact that it magically goes away with a turn of the key would point to a bad ignition switch, possibly a bad starter relay if you have a MT. It's also worth inspecting the wire connections on your starter (like the wire to the solenoid). If that's corroded, it can cause problems like you're having too. Finally, if you did clean any corrosion of the battery cables, bear in mind that that can also creep up under the wire insulation where it causes problems without you really seeing it. Keep us posted on what you learn.

CB Coupe SEi
05-20-2019, 09:50 PM
Yes that's what I was referring to the light on the ECU under the seat. The info I had read said to turn the ignition key to position 2 then look at the ecu under the seat for lights.

Shane86
05-20-2019, 10:03 PM
Yes that's what I was referring to the light on the ECU under the seat. The info I had read said to turn the ignition key to position 2 then look at the ecu under the seat for lights.

Yes that is correct

CB Coupe SEi
05-20-2019, 10:14 PM
I'll check to see if the CEL is on at start. Can't say I look for it, I just know a lot of lights are flashing as I start it. It always cranks strong, just sounds terrible and seems to be fighting itself, for a few attempts then it finally starts and runs great.

carotman
05-21-2019, 10:25 AM
I can see the CEL is on at start.

When starting the car, leave the key on position "II" before starting it. This allows the fuel pump to prime if needed. Basically, you wait for the Check engine light to turn off.
You jump it straight from 0 to III or I to III on the video.

Oldblueaccord
05-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Here's a video link of the Sei starting attempts.
https://youtu.be/DYinwUwWTIA

Mine been starting like that for a while also. I suspect my reman starter isnt any good but it is possible that I have a leaking injector.