PDA

View Full Version : 89 LXI headlight/wiper issue

Magna86
05-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Ok I came up to a new issue with my 89 LXI. The car sat dead for months so I replaced the battery. When you turn on the headlights the driver's side is dim compared to pass and the headlight actuator motor is sitting there clicking like the relay is trying to keep moving it though it's already up. Also when you turn headlights the wipers come on in low. Turn lights off they stop. I thought it was a ground issue so I cleaned all the ground I could find, swapped headlights, and swapped relays with no luck. The relay sits there clicking when this is going on. I didn't see any broken wires though I haven't completely stripped the harnesses yet because don't think it's that. The motors operate fine with both the headlight switch and override dash switch. Only if I try to drive it then drivers headlight acts and I get the dash warning. So at this point I'm lost who has ideas!

Magna86
05-27-2019, 06:06 PM
Update, the headlight warning light stays on driving. The driver's turn signal is acting like I have a burned out bulb but I don't and headlight flickers with signal on. I have a phantom blinker indicator on the dash for driver's side you can barely see it glow without signal on. The blower controls make this come on along with the wipers. Pulled the actuator fuses and still does this and I pulled wiper fuse to keep wipers off and issues still there. When I was working in it earlier I was moving the harnesses to see if they would affect anything signalling a break or short but nothing chnages. Is this the multiswitch on column acting up or the grey control box under the dash?

conozo
05-28-2019, 07:36 PM
its the valve cover ground strap. take it off and use sandpaper to clean the wire terminals and where it touches the body and valve cover.

Magna86
05-29-2019, 03:40 PM
Checked/cleaned grounds again didn't help. Tonight cleaned multiswitch and it didn't change anything either. More ideas?

conozo
05-29-2019, 05:58 PM
There is another ground in that area just under the bolt/screw that holds the windshield washer filler neck. It has 5 or so wires and looks like a relay but it's a ground for all those wires.

Magna86
05-29-2019, 07:01 PM
cleaned that ground again and this time it fixed it! Going for a test drive to make sure nothing else acts up

conozo
05-30-2019, 06:00 PM
Good to hear. I just went through this a few days ago with exactly the same symptoms, a temporary fix is to unplug the left headlight from the back of the bulb and at least your turn signals and wipers will work normal with the exception of when having the right turn signal on for a bit will result in the left headlight winking occasionally only if it's in the up position. Weird stuff.

InAccordance
05-30-2019, 07:22 PM
I wonder if this is why my turn signals quit working after putting the engine back in...
Guess I'll check it out when I get the chance sometime this week.