PDA

View Full Version : car boggs down and burning smell??

Nospeed
02-25-2003, 04:35 PM
yeah, thats what it does...at first, i thought it was the fuel filters, because it would bogg down just for a second when i was driving somewhere, but now it just dont move. as soon as i start letting out the clutch, it starts. i can have it in neutral and it be just fine...but it boggs as soon as i go. i replaced both the fuel filters today and i took it out for a test, everything seemed fine. but 1 hour later when we needed to go somewhere, it started again.

this time, it sounds like its getting bogged down (really loud engine, but no power) and it smells as if something is burning. i dont know if its gas, or what...cause i know its not plastic, oil, or paper, or clutch...cause i know those smells...but i dont know this smell...maybe gas? i dunno...no blue smoke from the exhaust...no smoke from the engine bay...it seemed to seep into the interior. so, anyone think they know what this is? oh, its an 88 dx...and just to add, this has been happening for the last week, and it seems really hard to get the tach above 4k, but once it crests 4k, its fine...just as normal. does that help?

Nospeed
02-25-2003, 06:08 PM
nobody has no idea what it is???

2old_honda
02-25-2003, 06:19 PM
its your clutch, its gone.

SMITHACCORD*&
02-25-2003, 06:20 PM
Sounds like a tranny problem to me but i am not to sure about that. since it is carbed play with your carb spray it down and whatnot fix that thing it does not sound good at all.

2old_honda
02-25-2003, 06:26 PM
you can do a test. come to a complete stop, put the car in 5th gear, rev the car up to like 4500 rpm and let the clutch out, if the car instantly stalls your clutch is good but if the stays running your clutch is bad.

check your clutch cable, it might be too tight, making the clutch not fully engage and slip.

MrBen
02-25-2003, 06:41 PM
Keep us posted! I'm curious to know.

Nospeed
02-25-2003, 06:46 PM
no...its not the clutch!! at least i dont think...i can have it in neutral and it happens as well as any gear! it stutters like it isnt getting any gas. i tried to spray the carb cleaner into the carb...running and not...and it didnt help. although like i said, i changed the fuel filters (both of them) and it was fine for 10 minutes...but then an hour later, i cant move it out of my parking spot, and there is smoke from something burning coming inside the cabin. there is no smoke outside, just inside.

edit>>>>> it backfires too

SMITHACCORD*&
02-25-2003, 07:16 PM
ok i am thinking that you have a really bad fuel pump
or some bad fuel lines also could be bad gas

Einstein
02-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Clogged catalytic converter? Just a guess. Probably carburator or ignition timing/advance problems otherwise.

Nospeed
02-25-2003, 07:46 PM
well...with the help of SMITHACCORD*&, i found out that my cattalitic (sp?) converter is getting red hot when the car is on...meaning the damn thing glows!!!! so anyway, im gonna straight-pipe the bitch tomorow, so ill see how it sounds and runs then. but yeah... thanks again all.

SMITHACCORD*&
02-25-2003, 08:15 PM
Hehehe i love lending a helping hand. If you woulda let that go longer. your car would have caught on fire.

ACCORD EX
02-26-2003, 08:16 AM
i was going to tell you something is stuck in your exhaust ! :D

ACCORD EX
02-26-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by 2old_honda
you can do a test. come to a complete stop, put the car in 5th gear, rev the car up to like 4500 rpm and let the clutch out, if the car instantly stalls your clutch is good

will it ever run again then ! :D :flip: ( j/k )

MIKE

bobafett
02-26-2003, 08:33 AM
justin... sorry i didnt have my friend reply to the post... he never had a chance to look. anyway it looks like you got it all figured out...test pipe here you come! w00t w00t!
AAAAAACTUALLY, i wonder if joshes car still has a cat? if so you could prolly bolt that bitch on... :D i will inquire today for ya

chris

Nospeed
02-26-2003, 01:30 PM
cool, thanks chris...well, i went out there this morning, and found out that i dont have a 3/8" rachet, so here i come wall*mart. so i should have that off later today...hopefully sooner! just remember chris, no money!!! :( but thanks anyway. :)

Nospeed
02-27-2003, 04:44 PM
ok, so ive determined that it is a clogged cat...and now i need to actually get it off there and hollow it out. has anyone had to do this before? i know it isnt hard, but why in hell are the bolts on the cat so *#@$* hard to get off!?!?! ive hit it with that loosener crap, and tried it with a breaker bar, and still no luck. how the fu<k do i get the bolts off? anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

SMITHACCORD*&
02-27-2003, 05:01 PM
cut that bitch off

Nospeed
02-27-2003, 05:07 PM
i dont want to have to cut it though...i want to have a complete exhaust system, but without the cat...it seems to me that this is the only problem...and i dont want to drive around with half an exhaust...so yeah...

kirobei
02-27-2003, 06:59 PM
Listen, if you want to get that cat off and gut it you are going to have to get fancy. When i added my DC headders i had to unbolt the cat to connect the downpipe but could not so i grinded off the nuts and hammered out the bolt studs and went to home depo and put in new bolts, nuts, washers and lock washers. It takes some doing but its a lot better than losing your bolt on simplicity.

Einstein
03-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Nospeed
ok, so ive determined that it is a clogged cat...

Wow! I guessed right. ;)

Nospeed
03-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Einstein
Wow! I guessed right. ;)

didnt think so. :( i hacked off my muffler today right in front of the cat, and im still having problems...so...all i have now is just a loud bogging down 3g. so....yeah, im gonna replace the cap/rotor tomorow to see if that was it, also plugs and wires. also, i might look into getting a new distributor...but from what i understand, its expensive...so, if anyone wants a really nice orion amp 25Watts x 2 (bridgeable down to .5 ohms...bringing it up to about 800 x 1) id trade it for a good distributor and maybe a corner light...i dunno...dont have the money for all of this, but ill come up with it...any help?

Einstein
03-02-2003, 05:19 AM
Well knowing your catalytic converter gets so hot and you have backfiring through the exhaust leads me to believe you have lots of unburned fuel/air mixture getting through you engine, then it combusts in the header, superheating the catalytic converter (probably to meltdown). Good sign that the fuel isn't getting ignited.

Once you solve your ignition problem, you'll want to check the condition of the cat anyway.

Nospeed
03-02-2003, 09:01 AM
well yeah, the cat is already off the car. in fact, i had to cut off right in front of it so i could get it out of there...the bolts were just rusted on toooooo tight. but its off.

dXsquared
03-02-2003, 09:20 AM
now its time for a tune up... get the distributor, plugs and wires.... and it might be ok

Travis

jeffreygivens
03-02-2003, 03:20 PM
i had the same problem it was mt cap and rotor and wires now it runs good

Einstein
03-02-2003, 07:03 PM
When does the OEM distributor and rotor need replacement? Or asked another way, when are they known to fail?

I already replaced the wires, I'm at 144,000 miles. Runs fine. Don't really like spending money on the car if I don't have to.

Nospeed
03-04-2003, 11:08 AM
ok guys...ive almost had it with all of this crap. so far, ive cut off the muffler hopeing it was the clogged cat but it wasnt...ive replaced both fuel filters thinking they were clogged, they werent, changed the plugs/wires thinking they were faulty, some of the plugs were pretty worn, ive cleaned the carb out as best as i could thinking there was just buildup or junk in it, that didnt seem to do anything...whats next?

ill have another distributor here in a couple of days, so that will be changed...but what is after that? what else can i replace that will fix this problem? last night, after i replaced the plugs and somewhat cleaned the deposits off the cap/rotor, it seemed to run ok, in 2 weeks the car had actually started to run normal. i went to the grocery store to get food, and when i came out, it all started again, just no burning smell this time, but still bogging down.:rant::mad: it didnt seem worse or better...so what else could this be?

also, what does a coil do? and do i have one on my carbed 3g? if the new distributor dont fix this, im at a loss on what is next...help me out guys...this is gonna be one sucky birthday if i cant figure this out...:sadwave:

87DX
03-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Nospeed,

It's nice to see another 3gee'er that has the EXACT same problem as I am. (What a relief)

I have an 87 Hatchback, carbureted and how you explained your situation is the same as me. To the T!

So far I've

- Replaced the spark plugs

- Replaced air cleaner

- Changed both fuel filters

-Parts and labor for a new fuel pump, 240 bucks. Still didn't solve a thing. ( DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE!)

-Not that it would have anything to do with this, but I'm also going to replace the blow by filter, and PCV Valve.

ANY help with this issue would be so so appreciated.

Nospeed, I'm Bob by the way. [email protected] Catch me on MSN Messenger, we can BS bout our rides.

Nospeed
03-06-2003, 01:26 AM
hey bob...yeah i hear ya...so far ive replaced the plugs, both fuel filters, removed the muffler from in front of the cat back...and it still didnt help. im in the process of removing my vacumm system...so hopefully the carb will run a little better. im gonna clean it out really good since im gonna take it off here in a day or so.

im also waiting on a distributor from buzzbomber...i was kinda thinking its either the cap/rotor...or just the whole damn thing. i should recieve it here in a couple days, and ill replace it then. obviously ill keep you posted on it...and see how it runs after i do the vacumm mod, and the distributor.

now does yours idle fine? and when its warm, when you try to drive it does it bog down then? or does yours even start up? what mine does is when i start it for the first time of the day, it runs fine and i can drive it just fine for about 10 minutes with no problems...but when its warm, it seems to get no throttle response whatsoever. when i press the accelerator, it jumps to maybe 2k, then immediately bogs down till it will eventually die (that is if i keep my foot on the gas). but once i let off the gas, it will sit there and idle. oh, it also backfires, which makes me think im running to rich.

but then again, i kinda dont think its the ignition system at all. i almost want to think its the carb. maybe im not getting enough fuel, or not enough air...i dunno...ill find out when i get the distributor i guess.

anyway...the 3g has been sitting for 2 weeks now...and i miss it alot...finally ive gotten some time to do something constructive (removing vacumm shit). i hope this fixes it. keep me posted as i will too.

edit>>>> forgot to mention that im on aim and msn...aim is "poweredbyNOSPEED", and msn is [email protected]

Nospeed
03-07-2003, 03:34 PM
update::::

well...i removed the vacuum stuff...and i replaced the distributor...but now it does the same thing, but this time, i notice it bogging down before i hit 3k on the tach. im thinking my #1 barrel is not getting enough fuel?? does that sound right?? also, it runs fine when its cold...but when it gets warm, it seems to start bogging down, but not as bad as it use to. mantis88lx helped me keep the choke and the secondary for the choke...so that is the only thing vacuum. do you think if i modified the vacuum secondary into a manual secondary, should that help? im really stuck guys...any help would be appreciated.

87DX
03-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Justin,

My car does the same thing, but when I start it up she idles fine. It will run for a solid 5-6 minutes and it starts to sputter. As the car gets more and more warm she gets worse.

I can sit there and rev the engine when stationary and it's fine. Rev it all the way to redline no problem, but when I throw it in any gear to get going, it gets to 2000 RPM and sputter, bucks and doesn't want to continue on down the road. :-(

I can sympathize man. I'm just a high school student and only know the basics.

If worse come to worse I'm just going to have her towed, have the shop diagnosed it and fix it. That's big bucks that I don't have though!

I'm hopin it's just a small problem, but somthin tells me it might be major.

Keep at it man!

Cheers

Nospeed
03-07-2003, 04:00 PM
yeah...im thinking its the carb...as soon as i get up to 3k rpm's the second barrel opens and i get power...does yours do that? oh...get on msn if you can. [email protected]

Nospeed
03-07-2003, 07:08 PM
ok...really need help here...:sadwave:

mindlos
03-07-2003, 07:35 PM
posted my thoughts on the other thread. Synopsis = clogged primary jet or ???. Remove and clean the carb...or....???

87DX
03-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Well shit.

I went outside in 34 degree weather with actual snow falling and worked on my car.

- New PCV Valve

- New Cap

- New Rotor

- New Wires

Yea, that's not the problem. I really need help. I drove it around and now I'm have the burning smell. This is SO SO horrible.

As for MSN Instant Messenger it says you don't exist. AOL doesn't work on my machine so MSN is the only thing I can use.

I'm on MSN Messenger like 24-7, I just leave it running so I'll get your message. [email protected]

Cheers

mindlos
03-07-2003, 11:10 PM
87DX is your car auto or standard/manual? You say it idles okay for 5-6 minutes. Have you tried to drive it before completely warming up to see if it is more drivable (just dont drive super cold). Does your car also pick-up at higher rpms or you just dont get there? If you havent tried carb and choke cleaner then do. Use it a plenty.

You may also want to test your ignition coil using an multimeter (ohmeter). Check the FAQ section, otherwise I can give you a procedure. I also hope that you changed your spark plugs recently since you dont mention having changed them when you got the new wires, cap, and rotor.

Einstein
03-08-2003, 05:50 AM
Have you replaced tested or replaced the coil yet? This is where the spark energy ultimately comes from.

The only way I see you can get lots of combustion in the headers/cat is if you are not getting the right spark in the cylinder.

87DX
03-13-2003, 04:20 PM
Justin,

Have you figured out this issue yet? I'm kinda waiting to tear into my carb. I want to make sure this is the problem.

Cheers,

Bob