PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Accord lxi Auto transmission not shifting out of first

cyp222
07-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Hey I am new here and hoped to get some insight on my 89 Accord LXI with Automatic transmission. This was my daughters car and several months back it quit shifting out of first gear. It will go into reverse. The car sat for a while before I could look into the problem and the battery died. I charged the battery and tried to check for a flashing light on the ECU. There was nothing flashing and I am wondering if the battery being dead "cleared" any stored code? Also the dash icons are fine other than the D4 light does not come on. I checked the fluid and it was probably a little darker than it should be but not that bad. The fluid level was fine. I am hoping it is just a shift solenoid but wanted to see what my next step should be. Any help would be appreciated

Oldblueaccord
07-09-2019, 08:22 AM
Download the manual here go thru the troubleshooting matrix.

The battery dead would clear the code if there is one..

cyp222
07-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Thank you!

AC439
07-11-2019, 04:04 PM
The D4 light on the dash has nothing to do with actual transmission operation. It is just a shift position indicator. When it is out, either the little lamp need to be replaced or the crack solder joint for the lamp.

My understanding is our auto trannies are all mechanical and there is no solenoid. Definitely get the factory manual first. Also, if the transmission was filled with non-Honda fluid before, it can cause problems. Even Dexron is only to be used as a temporary measure. If unsure about the transmission fluid, you can go to honda and get 3 qts and do a drain and refill and see if it frees it up. If it does, I would do another drain and refill with Honda fluid to try to get as much old fluid out as possible.

Do forget to check the shift cable and the kickdown cable according to the manual. HTH

Dr_Snooz
07-13-2019, 08:54 AM
I am hoping it is just a shift solenoid

If you're using "shift solenoid" in the specific sense of an electrical device controlled by a TCU which swaps out easily with a screwdriver and a few wrenches, then no. If you mean it more generically as a mechanically controlled hydraulic valve, then probably. These transmissions are entirely mechanical and hydraulic. The only electric parts are the lights. The bad news is that the shift valves are buried at the very bottom of the transmission and are the last thing removed after you've already pulled everything else out of the transmission, including the driveshafts and clutch packs. In other words, if it is a shift valve, you're looking at a complete overhaul... if you can find the parts. Which you probably can't. At least not without scavenging junk yards for donor transmissions.

Check TV cable adjustment first using the manual in my signature (p. 15-90). Then try a flush. Do the expensive flush where you take it to a shop and they pump the old out and replace it with new. Don't do the hillbilly one where you do a bunch of drain and fills in rapid succession. Flushes are controversial, but given that you have little to lose, do a flush. If that doesn't get it, it's pretty much time for an overhaul, or a MT swap.

Let us know what happens, of course. There are other options if you're willing to get dirty.