PDA

View Full Version : (You Gotta Be Sick Of Me Now) New Car For Me Questions!!!

HondaManDan
02-25-2003, 08:25 PM
Alright... The more and more I think, the more and more I cry.

The LX is up for sale... Hoping to get 2000 for it.

Im confiding in those who have owned, operated, sat in, or even seen any of these cars for some insight as to where my future on the road belongs. Anything under 150hp is not acceptable. I need something agile, fast, stunning, and something head turning that i can not only fit into (I am 6ft, 200lbs) but something that is light, functional, and sporty.

Cars That I Want:

1991-1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo (170hp) 4Cyl Mid. Eng. RWD
1992-1997 Subaru SVX (237hp) H6 Front Eng. 4WD/RWD
1995-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo (150+hp) 4Cyl Front Eng. FWD
1993-1994 Acura Legend (225hp) V6 Front Eng. FWD

New Cars That are Questionable:

2004 Subaru STi Impreza (250hp) 4Cyl Front Eng. 4WD
2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 (250hp) V6 Front Eng. FWD
2004 JDM Honda Integra conversion RSX (210hp) 4Cyl Front Eng. FWD
2004 Mazda Protoge 6 (240hp) Unknown
2004 Mazda RX-8 (260+hp) Twin Rotor Twin Turbo Front Eng. RWD
2003 Civic Si (210hp) 4Cyl Front Eng. FWD

(Specs May not be correct. )

I'm really leaning towards the Toyota MR2 and the Subaru SVX both have their ups and downs but both are quite unique to the street. I've only seen one of each on the roads and they weren't even modified from stock.

So yes. Gimme Some Feed Back.

The SVX runs around 1000-7000 bucks
The MR2 runs around 1000-7000 bucks
same with the other used cars.

The newer cars are all over 15,000 which is a little pricey at the moment. lol

Thanks for the help.

winkie45
02-25-2003, 08:55 PM
i've never heard of an svx. sounds good from the specs tho. but, out of all of those, i would go with the rx-8 followed by the rsx.

AccordEpicenter
02-25-2003, 09:50 PM
svx is a great car, good luck finding parts for it...

socal3rdgen
02-25-2003, 10:15 PM
go for the mr2. it will defintly throw you in your seat. that is a fun car.

importracerkid
02-26-2003, 01:01 AM
Get a AWD Turbo GSX (220 HP) and for get the FWD all you will get at WOT is wheel spin (and one hell of a smokey burnout) damn near thru 4th gear and if your real luck you will chirp 5th :)
an svx is a sweet car also! :)

jigga89SEi
02-26-2003, 05:11 AM
Can't go wrong with Subaru both the SVX and the Imprezza are good vehicles. Personally I like the imprezza, because 4 wd is the shit.

Coroncho80
02-26-2003, 05:16 AM
if you're 6ft and 200 lbs
YOU CANNOT FIT IN A MR2!

take it from me. I'm about your size, and if you do fit, you will be unconfortable as hell. Not a cool feeling.

markmdz89hatch
02-26-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by jigga89SEi
Can't go wrong with Subaru both the SVX and the Imprezza are good vehicles. Personally I like the imprezza, because 4 wd is the shit.

Dude, both cars are all wheel drive..:rolleyes: :confused:

markmdz89hatch
02-26-2003, 06:01 AM
:::whispers:::hey:::pssssttt:::don't forget about the 90-96 300ZX:::end whisper::

Seriously though, the 300 can be had with around 100-120K in decent shape (non-turbo) for around 5-7 grand. Sometimes less. They come stock with 222hp (crank) RWD. If you want to be able to handle a passenger or two or even three, get the 300ZX 2+2. It's the same thing just about 8 in. longer, but has a back seat. Insurance is killer, and as for winter driving... forget it. That bastard's got almost a 70-30 weight distribution.

Honestly though, the SVX looks kool, and the numbers also look cool for it. HOWEVER, there's no aftermarket support for it, so you get what you get, and that's it. Also, although it's rated at ~237 the loss ratio to the wheels is way higher then with a FWD or RWD. Now you lose even more power b/c you've got to push it to all 4 wheels. Take it from a former owner (me) of that elusive beast (the 300), that SVX will stand not a prayer of even being able to make out my license plate after the first 4 seconds of a race. (Been there, beat that. Not exagerating.)(PS. You'll also put a serious hurting on the 300GT's and Stealths (except the VR-4 and StealthTT))

The MR2 has tons of potential, it's fast right off the bat, it's RWD (and RWD = tons of fun), and there way better looking then the SVX. Also, forget aftermarket, just the cost to repair is way lower then that of the SVX. But, like Maurice said, make sure you're comfortable in it first.

kevin b
02-26-2003, 10:08 AM
I would totally go for the svx. I test drove one before I bought by accord and it was really nice. I found a web site that had a bunch of mods for it to, but I lost the link when I moved on to my car. lots of room and leather

HondaManDan
02-26-2003, 01:50 PM
A kid one year older than me just bought a 1994 RS-x... Red, chrome wheels... it's killer... bastard got his old 1997 Imprezza smashed up and he collected the insurance. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

I followed a Mitsu 3000GT today, those are nice :) they look like a cross between a Ferrari and a Corvette.

I have noticed absolutely NO aftermarket for the Suby, and parts are hella expensive..

There are a lot of aftermarket parts for the MR2 though. And as I've said before it is a very unique little car. lol, dont get me wrong, im not fat by far, i just have a bit-o-mass to me :)

The SVX has a 4x4 Model, however the majority of them are RWD, i think it looks a lot like a 3G and a Delorian slapped into a blender with a Subaru Legend. But that's just me. It's a sharp car, unique as hell.

Im just looking for a good project. A tinker while i drive project. But i want to be rolling with some big horses.

How strong is the MR2, for those that have driven it...
Is it a capable 2.oL? And does the turbo make that much a difference?
Thanks!

AZmike
02-26-2003, 04:41 PM
One of my friend has an MR2 turbo. The 2L turbo engine puts out around 200 at the crank and the 2.2 NA engine puts out 130 hp. I'd expect a noticeable difference for that power increase. He's 6' 2" or so, but a skinny guy, and has no problem fitting into it. Insurance will definitely be a lot worse for the turbo though. Sport Compact car is doing a V6 swap into an MR2. If you're up for it getting the NA car and dropping in a V6 might be for you.

Right now at 108k his car is burning a quart every 500 miles, but since he doesn't take car of it you can't blame the car.

Have you considered a 240SX? It weighs about the same and has 155 hp.

HondaManDan
02-26-2003, 07:42 PM
I followed one of those today actually comming home from work. It was kind of a pile but it moved!... i tried passing him... lol, i couldnt. But yeah... how much do they go for?

HondaManDan
02-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Plus, i was just reading up on those cars and there is an S20 Motor Swap that you can do to em... i think the S20 is the motor in the Nissan Silvia and/or some of the Skylines... but this is WAY beyond me.

HondaManDan
02-26-2003, 08:02 PM
Know what month SCC is doing that article in???

Scorpion88LX
02-26-2003, 08:07 PM
I think that the rx8 is n/a I am pretty sure it puts out like 250 instead of the rx7's 255 they changed the port location.

88LXi68
02-26-2003, 08:16 PM
do not get an SVX. They are SLUGS because they are soooooooo heavy and only come in an auto tranny. This girl I used to work with had one and always was complaining about the problems she was having with it and how the auto trannies always take a dump.

Neuspeed87lx
02-26-2003, 08:43 PM
i gota agree with mark on the 300zx.. nice lookin car ....quick ... and they should have room for you

Jims 86LXI HB
02-26-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by HondaManDan

Cars That I Want:

1)1991-1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo (170hp) 4Cyl Mid. Eng. RWD
2)1992-1997 Subaru SVX (237hp) H6 Front Eng. 4WD/RWD
3)1995-1999 Mitsu Eclipse Turbo (150+hp) 4Cyl Front Eng. FWD
4)1993-1994 Acura Legend (225hp) V6 Front Eng. FWD

New Cars That are Questionable:

5)2004 Subaru STi Impreza (250hp) 4Cyl Front Eng. 4WD
6)2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 (250hp) V6 Front Eng. FWD
7)2004 JDM Honda Integra conversion RSX (210hp) 4Cyl FWD
8)2004 Mazda Protoge 6 (240hp) Unknown
9)2004 Mazda RX-8 (260+hp) Twin Rotor Twin Turbo RWD
10)2003 Civic Si (210hp) 4Cyl Front Eng. FWD
(Specs May not be correct. )

1).MR2 Nothing will have the feel of the MR2, it has a certain feel to it's chassis that begs to be pushed and tossed about. Should have lots of aftermarket and more power should be easy to get with the turbo ect. But it's at the limit handling behavior is one of uncatchable snap oversteer. Fun car, but playing at the absolute limit isn't such a good idea.

2). SVX Total uniqueness can only justify you so much. I don't recall the automotive press liking the car much and it's total sales reflect that. Automatic only and next to no aftermarket. Curious when new, most of the buyers for the car were dentists, go figure.

3).Eclipse Your best choice I think, for god sakes do AWD, but I have serious reservations, which you may or may not find. I hate the interior design, that along walks me from the car, so much so I'd give it away if given to me. I hate the turbo lag, well their's no getting around that. And everyone I drove had slow syncro's in 2nd, crunch crunch. Doesn't mean it can't be the right car for you, just make sure you don't have the issue's I do. Lots of aftermarket and easy power upgrades.

4).Legend Biggest thing the legend had was it's motor. Wonderfully smooth great midrange to top end, though it was noticeably weak below 2500rpms. Otherwise the car did not live up to it's sporty image at all. Ride quality was on the ruff side, without deliver any good handling numbers or tossability. Also braking ability was average at best even with the ABS. And be warned it's very short on headroom and back seat is very tiny. My dad had one and I was so glad when it was gone. On paper its a good car, reality,.........well the motor sure sounds nice :D

5)WRX I've driven the 2003 WRX and I hope to god, they gut the crappy pathetic cheap interior and give one that reflects the window sticker price. I also hope the 2.5L over 2.0L engine does something for all the turbo lag it was now. And the gear shifter/clutch/throttle are not good partners. Ride quality was great considering how good the thing stuck with 17" S-003 pole position tires. Really nice brakes to. I hope the STI version keeps its front limited slip diff when it comes over here.

6) 2003 Eclipse Unfortunately they still don't make a interior I can stand in the new version of the car. So I wouldn't even test drive the thing, but I think it's beaten by the RSX Type-s in all aspects.

7)RSX I'm not sure what will be gained in a JDM conversion of the RSX. The standard car is really good. A much more refined version of the GSR, which did loose some of the GSR's excitement for that refinement. Excellent gearbox/clutch/throttle relationship, easy to bang off ultra smooth quick shifts. Great brakes, good handling and no comprimise in the ride quality to get the handling. Only thing I hate is the color of the instruments. And they made the front suspension a big pain to upgrade.

8)Mazda 6 I haven't driven the Mazda 6 so I cannot comment. I did sit in one and thought the interior was a matter of taste.

9) RX-8 I just don't see the RX-8 as viable against the G35 coupe, for about the same money you get more of everthing, especially low end torque. For $32.5k the G35 coupe gives you leather, 280hp, LSD, brembo's, stability control, dynamic brake assist and side airbags Best thing the RX-8 has is uniqueness.

10) Civic SI 2003 has 160hp Considering how much better the RSX is compaired to a civic EX, I wouldn't even look at the SI. And another thing. The civic SI is the only car I have ever seen where a magizine did a article where they take the car and mod it for the best possible handling. The thing I've never seen was, when you read all the things they did, in the end they concluded it wasn't the right car to make commpetitive handling wise, to tall, to high center of gravity.

jigga89SEi
02-27-2003, 06:01 AM
I know there both 4wd I just like the impreza alittle better. Ilike the body