PDA

View Full Version : Hello all!

BlueTech
07-30-2019, 04:18 PM
Happy to have found this place. An actual active forum talking about working on old Hondas. Cool. Glad to be here.

I recently became the proud owner of a "new" '86 Accord LX with a mere 187k original miles on it. Zero maintenance records for it, though. So starting with a zero baseline. The engine and interior are amazingly clean, and despite the low mileage, it apparently never actually sat for long periods of time. While super clean, it has a *really* rough idle when cold, but otherwise appears to be in generally good shape. I am hoping it only needs a bit of TLC so it can be my daughter's faithful daily driver to work and school.

Now to look for the appropriate forum to post my current issues and progress... :)

~Blue

86ccord
07-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Welcome! Post some pictures!

Dr_Snooz
07-31-2019, 06:26 PM
Welcome! Glad to have you aboard.

BlueTech
10-15-2019, 06:00 PM
This seems like a good place to track stuff...

Done so far:
Replaced all motor mounts
Cleaned up EGR Valve (was badly gummed up, works great now)
New Spark Plugs
Installed new clock bezel
Installed hood prop grommet and rod holder clip
Installed new battery
Eliminated a few massive vacuum leaks
Replaced the Control Valve Diaphragm (17245-PH1-003) on the air intake
Cleaned up rusted spare tire hold-down bolt and spare tire well
Acquired and cleaned up "new" full-size spare tire
Cleaned up carburetor linkages and throttle valve. Unfortunately, the valve still sticks open and AC Boost diaphragm is non-functional. Played with this far too long, including chasing the AC Boost issue. Need to rebuild or replace.

In Process:
The PCV Valve replacement nightmare... Ugh.

Upcoming:
Refurbish and install "proper" OEM battery hold-down bracket.
Oil & filter change - This might end up being part of the PCV Valve hose adventure because the oil filter is in the way
Replace carburetor with "new" rebuilt unit (with proper rebuilt AC Boost)
New Plug wires
New distributor cap/rotor
Smog Check...
Install left front bumper mount (and straighten the bent frame tab on which it should reside)
Transmission fluid drain/fill. Maybe 3X flush if I feel up to it.
Replace majority of vacuum hoses (as-needed for now. Eventually all or most of them)

This post should be a work in process and updated as I go.
Admins - If this should be moved to its own thread instead of being in the newbie area, feel free to move it where it belongs:)

Dr_Snooz
10-15-2019, 06:46 PM
Best of luck with your projects.