PDA

View Full Version : another newbie - 89 LX

montman
02-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Whats up guys:

I stumbled on this site today while looking for info.
I just bought a 4 door 89 Accord LX to use for my everyday drive to work.
It is an auto with 165K on the ticker.
My other car is a *cough* Mustang GT *cough* :D, this is my first honda and import in general, so Im sure I will have some noob questions at some point.
Im planning on getting a Haynes manual soon, but in my experience with my mustang it is always helpful to have real world help from the people that know.

Anyways, are there any general points of interest that I should know, and/or any chronic problems on this year/model?

I appreciate any help/info you guys can give me now or in the future.

bobafett
02-26-2003, 12:46 PM
sheesh with only 165k on the clock you are fine for a while! lol

as long as they are maintained they last forever...mine has 230,000 and its still happy, the only thing thats been replaced is the clutch! :)

i dont have too much experience with the carbs or autos. but im sure youve got a good bit of smooth sailing ahead of you as long as the car is acting good now!

the important question is: are you going to modify it? or is that what the mustangs for? heheh

montman
02-26-2003, 01:13 PM
well...I really dont have any plans to modify the accord right now.

all my mod money gets dumped into the mustang. :D

markmdz89hatch
02-26-2003, 01:38 PM
well, first and foremost, WELCOME!

all questions are welcome. Quite honestly, I've got to agree with Boba. You just landed yourself one of the most reliable cars on the planet. As long as you take care of it and do the proper maintenance you'll be fine for another 160K. The only heads-up I can give you on it is to watch out for that tranny. They usually have a lifespan of about 200K. Some more, some less. Honestly though, either way it's not a big deal. Another tranny can be had from a j/y for about 200-250, and the job is just a one (2 at worst case scenario) day job. Another option available to you, if the tranny shits the bed, is a 5spd conversion. I've done it to one of my 3G's and will do it to any others that I get that are auto. That too is fairly easy.

1989 DX R
02-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Remember, it is an older car, so sometimes strange things will break. This happens. Our cars were built like tanks, but even tanks have things break in strange (and sometimes expensive) ways. If this does happen, these cars are common at junkyards so parts aren't too expensive.