PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof leaks

Black89LX-i
02-27-2003, 05:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a seal for my sunroof I drive an 89 LX-i. Or maybe instead of a seal I could get something to seal it.

Accord Pimp 88
02-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Now wait.. i had a similar problem with mine. I thought it was a seal... but instead it was the drains for the power moonroof. there are four of them and sometimes one or more will be plugged and the water builds instead of going through the drains. If you park it on an incline does it seem to be ok? Or does it do it ALL the time?

ALTERED4
02-27-2003, 09:02 PM
your sunroof leaks??? mine pours... ive got a bucket in the car just in case it rains... i need to take the roof panel off and unblock those drain hoses...

MrBen
02-27-2003, 09:02 PM
Mine doesn't have drain holes.

AccordEpicenter
02-27-2003, 09:05 PM
sure it does, look inside the lip when the sunroof is open, and there are 2 holes visible, and 2 arent. What you need to do is get some compressed air and shoot it into each hose to blow out all the crap in the lines. The other 2 lines are accesible thru the hoses hanging out under the car near the rear wheels, just look for a small rubber tube hanging out... you can do it

MrBen
02-27-2003, 09:54 PM
I think mine's aftermarket. There are NO holes.

AccordEpicenter
02-27-2003, 11:34 PM
oh in that case youre screwed. Time to get some sillicone

MrBen
02-27-2003, 11:50 PM
I might go get it fixed. I don't know. Might be expensive.

Shin87LXI
02-28-2003, 09:50 AM
I was able to clear my drain holes at the rear very easily when I rust proofed my trunk. With all the trunk panels removed you can yank the hoses out and remove the filter that's at the tip which gets clogged. You can also do this by getting on your knees and clearing them at the exit around the rear bumper.

Where exactly do the front hoses exit? My sunroof no longer leaks put my passenger carpet gets soaked for some reason:huh:

Black89LX-i
02-28-2003, 12:59 PM
My sunroof leaks when it rains really hard. It leaks between the seats mainly on the passenger side.I try clearing the lines. Thank You Guys.

MoonScryer
03-02-2003, 07:54 AM
The front exit in front of the door, kind of midway down the body. If you open the door, and look down behind the fender, you'll see the spout.

Wanna clean it out the easy way? Take out your entire headliner (plastic trim and all), and then clean them out. It's a pain, but the only real way to reach the front ones. The way described above works for the back.

Oh, and there is no seal available from Honda; you have to buy a whole new piece of glass to the tune of around $450.

Black89LX-i
03-03-2003, 03:25 PM
Well I went out there and looked and I seen where the spout is but I can't find them in the back. The compressed air? where do I get compressed air besides from an air compressor cause I don't have access to things like that? This may sound stupid but what about liquid drano? It has to be the drain tubes because I don't think the seal has much to do with. The reason I say that is why would there be drain tubes if the seal blocks all the water. I will find some means to clean them out but thank you guys again. And I am sorry if I had one of those questions that has been answered millions of times.

MrBen
03-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Go to an office supply store and buy a can of compressed air for like 2 bucks.

Mike89Accordcom
03-04-2003, 10:16 AM
There should be a rubber seal you can buy. Mine has never leaked, but it's always a chance.

Shin87LXI
03-04-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Shin87LXI
I was able to clear my drain holes at the rear very easily when I rust proofed my trunk. With all the trunk panels removed you can yank the hoses out and remove the filter that's at the tip which gets clogged. You can also do this by getting on your knees and clearing them at the exit around the rear bumper.

Where exactly do the front hoses exit? My sunroof no longer leaks put my passenger carpet gets soaked for some reason:huh:

Found my problem.
When I relocated my battery to the trunk, I got rid of some odd cone shaped grommit and ran my positive lead through the hole, thus leaving my drain hose loose soaking my carpet:lol

'A20A3'
03-06-2003, 12:32 PM
DO NOT...REPEAT DO NOT USE DRANO
the chemicals in it will rot the tubes and seals and shit.
i had the same problem in mine, only when it rained hard for a long time though. every time i would accelerate, id get soaked with water. use compressed air. its definetly the way to go.

Black89LX-i
03-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Yeah I was joking about the liquid Draino. I haven't got a chance to go get some compressed air and blow them out. But I will work on it the first time it rains he he he. But thank you guys once again for the help. You guys are life savers of the 3rd Gens.

'A20A3'
03-06-2003, 03:11 PM
glad you think of everyone here that way. all i know is ever since i found out about this place, i dont do shit to my car until i've talked to peeps on here about it.

thanks everyone

Microstreak
03-08-2003, 09:48 AM
ihehe, ive got the same problem too, but the funny thing is i tried compressed air, i used the can thingy and everytim i shot inside the drain hole, air would jus come shootin bak. i dunno how bad the clog is but im thinkingin bout using a small wire or somethin to clean it out, wht u guyz think? will it work? eh ill try it neway whn my car comes back from the mechanics shop.

snakeman
09-24-2003, 03:29 AM
do what i did take out the silly littel plugs and it never fills up again

Dustin Imports
10-21-2003, 08:03 AM
trying to access the rear drains..

cant from top.

so Ill try canned air, and seal it to the hole and blast it..

tryed coat hanger on front...ick..:(

:bh:

meangreenLXi
10-21-2003, 08:18 AM
mine would fill with water when I would park where the water wouldn't drain. If I parked facing up hill, I'd get flooded. Once I started parking facing down hill, never got wet again.

Dustin Imports
10-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by meangreenLXi
mine would fill with water when I would park where the water wouldn't drain. If I parked facing up hill, I'd get flooded. Once I started parking facing down hill, never got wet again.

same here...but i have to park flat...:(

MrBen
10-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Same here! I have a moonroof and I have to park with the nose facing downhill. Really it isn't that big of a deal if it was only that. But it also leaks air on the freeway, I can hear it whistling. I dunno how to fix it. If I pull down on the roof, the leaks and air leak goes away. I don't know if I can adjust it, or what I should do.

danronian
10-22-2003, 05:27 AM
To fix the rear drains take out the side plastic (which entails taking all of the plastic out) of the trunk. You will then see the tubes going out to the sides of the car. Mine were filled with rotted stuff about two inches up. After I did that I have no leaks other then the windshield, but thats another project.

CHonda
09-05-2005, 11:04 PM
To fix the rear drains take out the side plastic (which entails taking all of the plastic out) of the trunk. You will then see the tubes going out to the sides of the car. Mine were filled with rotted stuff about two inches up. After I did that I have no leaks other then the windshield, but thats another project.

quick question .. did/do you drive the hatchback or sedan ..? just curious because when you say take out all the plastic from the trunk .. im wondering if you actually mean the trunk itself (right by where the rear wheel well area is) .. or the trunk as in the back area of the sedan where the rear windshield is ..?..

thanx in advance ...

Ace
09-06-2005, 08:00 AM
:devil: Another Thread resurected :devil: "03" :uh:

WEll to answer you're question
Where the rear window is

Blkblurr
09-06-2005, 08:38 AM
do what i did take out the silly littel plugs and it never fills up again
That's what I did as well.
I also wanted to mention the moonroof seal doesn't keep the rain out. It is mean't as an air seal. That's why the moonroof is larger than the opening in the body.The water goes through the seal and drips into the catch area that leads to the drains. This is for factory installations though.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
10-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Does anyone know if there is a how to on how to replace the sunroof glass or can anyone tell me how to do it?

Blkblurr
10-15-2005, 05:31 AM
The roof seal was never meant to keep out water. It is an air noise seal. The roof was designed to leak into the drains. Honda did this becasue they knew a roof window will never seal long term. Just allow it to leak and provide drains to take care of it. The compressed air only works for small clogs and only if you have a nozzle to get into the drains. You also need alot of air pressure to dislodge clogs. Taking the hose ends off is the best and possibly the only way to get them unclogged.

CdaIdaho
04-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Spring down pours resulted in water everywhere. Thanks TO the advise above, cleaned out the 4 drains and staying dry. THANKS!

JohnBoy
04-27-2014, 08:34 PM
The roof seal was never meant to keep out water. It is an air noise seal. The roof was designed to leak into the drains. Honda did this becasue they knew a roof window will never seal long term. Just allow it to leak and provide drains to take care of it. The compressed air only works for small clogs and only if you have a nozzle to get into the drains. You also need alot of air pressure to dislodge clogs. Taking the hose ends off is the best and possibly the only way to get them unclogged.

I didn't know this I just sealed it with silicone every winter and stuffed a towel in it and only the person in the passanger seat got a shower lol.

CdaIdaho
12-19-2014, 02:52 PM
We had freezing rain the other night and now my sunroof leaks big time. All 4 drain holes are cleaned and tested. The ice must have broke the seal inside the roof. I tried fixing it 3 times with silicone (what I can reach from the top of the car with sunroof open) and drivers seat is still soaked every morning. Have any of you tried disabling the sunroof by pulling the fuse and sealing all around the exterior of the roof with silicone? Will this work?
My last resort is to take it to a body shop and probably pay $100's to stop the water.

Dr_Snooz
12-21-2014, 09:01 PM
Have any of you tried disabling the sunroof by pulling the fuse and sealing all around the exterior of the roof with silicone? Will this work?

Been tried by many and works quite well, if you like hillbilly fixes. I won't use silicone anymore, though. I've had it fail too many times, especially the crap that GE sells. If you want it to seal forevermore, use RTV silicone gasket maker. Failing that, the Alex Plus from DAP works quite well, and is very cheap.

Jafir
02-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Is it leaking more on the drivers side? If so, the Y that connects the sunroof drain and the antenna drain may have come apart. It's a pain in the butt to get to. If it gets too bad it can ruin the computer on an LXi. I usually use some glue or silicone when I put them back together to hopefully keep it from coming apart again. It's possible it's caused by someone sticking something down the drain trying to clean it out.

w261w261
02-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Is it leaking more on the drivers side? If so, the Y that connects the sunroof drain and the antenna drain may have come apart. It's a pain in the butt to get to. If it gets too bad it can ruin the computer on an LXi. I usually use some glue or silicone when I put them back together to hopefully keep it from coming apart again. It's possible it's caused by someone sticking something down the drain trying to clean it out.

This is an obscure sunroof drain detail from the early days! It happened to me, after a new antenna was installed, but I couldn't/didn't want to get way in there to try to reconnect the Y connection. I reasoned that if I cleaned out the tube which was probably plugged up at its end, that the water wouldn't back up into the Y and soak the driver's carpet. So I cleaned the end of the drain, left the drain from the antenna motor unplugged, and fortunately never had another problem.