PDA

View Full Version : damn fan wont turn off... please help

ALTERED4
02-27-2003, 06:09 PM
while washing out the engine bay with water, the fan on the driver's side kicked on, and wouldnt turn off, the battery was disconnected, and everything was allowed to dry out. i took the car out for a spin, when i got home and turned off the car, i noticed the fan turned on again (my fan never turns on while the car is off), and would not turn off... i checked wiring plugs, relays, and fuses, nothing out of the ordinary happened except for the "fan timer" fuse, found under the hood...

when i pulled the fuse out, the fan stopped. when the fuse was re-inserted, the fan will stay off, until i turn the key to the "on" position. ass soon as the key is turned back off, the fan starts back up again, and will not turn off...

within the last year, i have replaced the radiator, tstat, and both fan switches (radiator and tstat housing)...

for now, im driving around with the "fan timer" fuse pulled out. everything seems to be normal for now, both fans kicked on as normal when needed...

what can the problem be? why wont the damn fan turn off with the fuse installed? hopefully, i can pick up what i need from the junkyard tomorrow, i need to grab a driver's side window regulator (i just fixed the passenger side a week ago) and the rear small (triangle) window that was busted out a month ago by some damn thieves...

thanks for the help guys...

LIL'LXi
02-27-2003, 06:40 PM
how long does it stay on ? after driving for awhile, then turning off the car, it takes about 3-4 minutes for my fan to kick on. when it does, it stays on for sometimes 15 minutes. mine always comes on after I park. I think there supposed to.

Blue Impact
02-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Wow! You guys have "turbo" like me too? Well, I think the fans are just sensitive that's why they'd come on. I don't think it's a bad thing. I think it's kinda cool with your fan on and someone tells you that your car's still on and you'd tell them it's your turbo cooling. haha.

ALTERED4
02-27-2003, 08:55 PM
its not a normal thing... it never turns on after turning off the car, perhaps in the summertime when the car is ran hard, yes, the fan will stay on for a few minutes...

something got wet when i cleaned the motor... the car wasnt even remotely warm when it first happened, besides, its 50 degrees outside today... when i turn off the motor, the fan turns on, and it will not turn off...

anchovies
02-27-2003, 11:04 PM
the fan switch is shorting out.

89AccordLXI666
02-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Exactly anchovies..... Your absolutly right about that 1...... The fan switch is shorting out.... I had that problem when I pressure washed the engine bay area, and got water of coarse got into something electrical and my fan wouldn't turn off, sometimes it would turn off after about 30 minutes but it was a pain in the ass.... I then wen't to the store and got another one and haven't had a problem since..... I doubt that will work 4 you, seems u tried that already.... u may need to get the whole system repaird, and I can't tell you offhand how much it's going to cost.... Bring it to a Honda Dealership or a car gaurage and see what they tell you and what they can do for you.... Wish I could help... Anyways best of luck to you bro. Lataz

Blue Impact
02-28-2003, 10:20 AM
Uhh, where's the fan switch?

ALTERED4
02-28-2003, 12:08 PM
that what i'd like to know. what fan switch is causing the problems? i physically took apart all the connections i thought could get wet and dried them out with my heat gun. still acting screwy...

ive owned my accord for well over 10 years, ive never taken the car to the dealearship, hell, i wouldnt even buy a car from a dealership, they're all a bunch of thieves

SiCReX
02-28-2003, 12:27 PM
lol, turbo cooling... yeah i get that shit a lot about my car still bein on too.

anchovies
02-28-2003, 02:03 PM
Try another thermo switch for the one on the tstate housing.
Actually, to find which one is the culprit, just unplug the socket for the switch and see which one solves your problem. Then get a new one or get it from the jy. I don't want to point you in the wrong direction, but that should be your problem imho.

meohmy01
02-28-2003, 04:37 PM
the same thing happened to my 94. the driverside fan wouldn't turn off. eventually they both just quit. i have to look for the problem this summer but it's a little cold to do it right now.