PDA

View Full Version : brake caliper question

SiCReX
02-28-2003, 02:09 PM
ok on my left side I was replacing the brakes and I put the 2 new ones on and the caliper wouldn't go back down. It was like the brake pad was too wide or somethin, I know its not it's just that the caliper wont slide out enough to accommodate for the wider pad. the right side worked fine but this one is stuck or somethin. is there a way to take the caliper off from the rotor completely? because I need to fix it since right now I had to leave the outer old pad on and but the new one on the insid? why does it do this?

AZmike
02-28-2003, 02:40 PM
So using a c-clamp or something similar doesn't push the piston far enough back to install the thicker new pads?

SiCReX
02-28-2003, 03:43 PM
no its not the piston, i can push that in all the way and it will still hit the pad. the caliper wont come out .

guaynabo89
02-28-2003, 08:13 PM
If your yalking about the pins that hold the two pieces of the caliper toghther. than its probably seized.

SiCReX
03-01-2003, 12:08 AM
ya how do I un sieze dat shiet

SiCReX
03-02-2003, 07:29 PM
how do I un sieze my caliper????????

guaynabo89
03-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Take caliper off vehicle, place caliper in bench vise, try to force apart with assorted tools. You can try leaving it in the car and forcing the two caliper parts apart but that might be harder depending on your situation.

I once had a caliper that was so badly seized I had to take it to a shop to have them aply heat to the caliper to get it to come apart.

Once you get it apart be sure to clean out both parts where the pins are and where they slide into. Apply brake caliper grease and put back together.

Or you could go see how much a caliper costs new if you don't feel like going through all that trouble.

SiCReX
03-02-2003, 08:09 PM
well since I can't take it off my rotor I guess I will have to try and wedge it out while its still on there. Is that all I got to do? find some way to force it out?

guaynabo89
03-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Thers two 17 mm bolts that hold the caliper to the hub. You can't get those off? If its the part of the caliper that you flip up to put the pads on you will have to force it off somehow so you can clean eveything out or you're new pads will be gone in a month.

slammedLXI
03-03-2003, 09:08 AM
double check u have the right pads... on my accord autozone's computers are messed up somehow so it read i have the same pads as a DX/LX... or something to that effect. anyway, theyre computers were wrong with the part#...

SiCReX
03-03-2003, 11:11 PM
yeah I thought about that but thats not the problem, they fit right in on the right side but the left side dont work! anyone else got any ideas on how to get that shit off?

smufguy
03-05-2003, 09:37 AM
if ur calipers are froze, dont bother with taking it out. just remove the whole set up. as in ur rotor and ur cliper. thats what my mechanic did to minimize the labor cost and parts cost cause the rotor had deep grooves in considering the caliper was frozen. All we did was get a 20 dollar rotor (OEM replacement) and got a brand new caliper and pads and put them on there. Its not a big work, takes about an hour or so if u have a air gun (that impact gun shit).

If the calipers are not frozen and wont come off, its probably did not have antiseize compund on it when it was put back. There is an antiseize and antivibrating compound.