PDA

View Full Version : just wondering... how you guys afford to buy car stuff?

Defiant[YD]
05-27-2002, 05:46 PM
hey guys, i was just wondering how all you guys can afford to buy like expensive aftermarket stuff for the 3rd gens??? like, i can barely afford an intake for my accord. how'd you guys do it?

HondaSi88
05-27-2002, 05:54 PM
Work! But naw just save and put some money to the side!

Vanilla Sky
05-27-2002, 06:09 PM
THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS EVER EEN SPOKEN IN PUPLIC!!!

we are all bounty hunters... in a year, if the armed forces hasn't taken care of it, we will go kick osama's ass

you may not think it, but there is good money in this

Derick

pimp86LX
05-27-2002, 06:10 PM
I am a highly trained 'petrol transfer technitian' but sadly only make minimum

haha yet this job has bought my 3g!!!

:bow: Honda's

Paul Tha :pimp:

YK86
05-27-2002, 06:11 PM
Don't worry, you're only 18 (I looked in your profile). I had trouble keeping gas in my car when I first got my 83 Accord when I was 17. I slowly started with small inexpensive mods (redoing my interior, keeping the car tuned up nice), and once in a while, had saved enough money to do things like get the exhaust done. When I turned 20, I took over the family business so I have to work 50-60 hours a week but I make enough to put aside a little to spend on cars. Another big factor is that I do almost all my own work on my cars so I save alot of money doing that.

88WhiteLX-i
05-27-2002, 06:14 PM
It's expensive, but I enjoy doing it. I mean I spend most of my money on Mechanical things that are wrong with my car like CV shaft, window. Shit like that. But a BIG PORTION of my check every week goes to my beloved 3geez..... Iam building her up, it takes time and patience to build a nice ride. Iam getting to the point with my car that I can start putting toys and shit in her, like Iam almost done with all the mechanical parts. Just to get to this point has taken me about 4 months. In a little while I can start concentrating on the other things that aren't necessary, like tint,, stereo, and shit like that.... Well hope I helped ya with the explaination :werd:

88LXi68
05-27-2002, 06:26 PM
I work 2 jobs and both pay pretty well. People always ask me why I spend money on such an old car. I just say it makes me happy.

88Ex-i
05-27-2002, 06:54 PM
I got my car from within the family, so I saved $ right from the start. Plus with my job, I make enough to save most of it and the rest can add up to buy things which I have in the last few years (rims x3, springs, shocks, stereo, etc......)

HondaSi88
05-27-2002, 07:17 PM
I'll tell you a secret u wanna save money???? Get a manual and do your own repairs....and when u get stuck do what I do
go to a shop and ask questions or just bug the hell out of everyone on this board.......poor man way!!!!

Defiant[YD]
05-27-2002, 07:32 PM
haha, thats what i do already!
i'm kinda poor so i have to do my own repairs. last time i banged the car up, the stupid autobody shop used a coup bumber and 87 ex-i headlight to replace it. now my bumper is drooping down on the left and my headlights are different. so doing my own repairs is the only way i have to go. But it helps a lot in understanding the accord though. haha, b4 i had to do repairs, i didn't even know what a carb was.... lol. but now, i'm even thinking of asking around the local mechanic shops if they offer summer internship! :lol

well, the thing is, if i work, i would sure as hell have no time for my university studies. and like, the university in calgary has the highest dropout rate in canada for first year students. and i really wanna rice my car up cuz the stock 98HP doesn't kinda appeal to me that much. :p

Defiant[YD]
05-27-2002, 07:34 PM
and come to think of it, that bounty hunter idea is not so bad after all!!!!! what is it? 26 million for osama's capture??? :D

RobT5580
05-27-2002, 07:34 PM
It takes time trust me but between work and debt im getting my car together. But i find it hard and a pain to buy things one at a time and it takes time but i have been doing this for almost 5 years and im still no where close to being done but im getting there. One mistake was dumping a lot of money into fixing my other accord (mainly from a bad mechanic). You learn the hard way and now i fix everything that i can myself and save a lot of money that way but also learn in the process. Another thing is its hard when its your daily driver now i have 2 cars so i can do more things without the stress of not having a car....

CARBurn
05-27-2002, 08:29 PM
I put in lots of overtime at work, and go without eating and sleeping(j/k). But no, I do put a lot of overtime at work and i make sure I try to do most of the work myself. Plus I trust myself when I work on my car and know that I double check my work, if no one else does.
I also try to do research on modifications that actually work, and try not to spend every dollar I have on mods that ain't worth a dime they advertise.

88turboaccord
05-27-2002, 09:47 PM
My Brother and I run our own computer business.. We make custom computers, do networking jobs, and repair computers as well, basically the whole shaaaabang.....

I am also work part time at little Caesars as a manager--20hrs/week if that... Most of that money is for the car. My computer business is mainly savings and to pay the bills...

Chrome_thangs
05-27-2002, 10:25 PM
Me and a few of my friends drive moddified civis and rob 18 wheelers for vcrs and dvds then we sell them!
(plot of Fast and the Furious):D

The way i recomend is to sit down and make a list of every part you would like to have. Don't just get a part because you've seen some one else w/ it or u saw a decal saying it, research every part you buy and the company. Once you have made your list put the most important things first and the others last. Also set your self a budget. Put a limit price next to every part and don't exceed that price

damackz
05-28-2002, 12:52 AM
yeah man it took me 2 mths of full time work in tha summer to pay for my car and i worked part time while going to university full time to pay for all my expenses as well as anything that would go in the car.........i know its hard man but it gets better and ur car will be evidence for that change :pimp:

marc49
05-28-2002, 06:37 AM
damn, and here I thought we all had trust funds or had mommy and daddy buy our cars and our mods..:rolleyes: :p

Oh wait that would be OTHER honda boards :flipa: :flip: :stick:

jigga225
05-28-2002, 08:08 AM
Man I just think ahead of what I know I need to do... then when I know I have that covered I go ahead and treat myself.
I left these women alone for about the past 8 weeks and every thing changed for the good: grades, pockets, ride was cleaner, tires weren't worn out as much.

89AccordNate
05-28-2002, 10:07 AM
The first step would be getting your car payed off. After you get that done, you can focus on mods since you will obvioulsy have more money laying around. Ive been working on my car since I was 16 (im now 19) so it hasnt been a short process. I do webdesign on the side when Im feeling like I need another mod, I do the work for the company that I track down and either get it free, or get it heavily discounted. That helps soo much in the long run. I think I have spent less then half of what others have payed on this board.....since maybe only 2 things I have payed full price for.....my tires, and my clutch :).

Nate.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-28-2002, 11:51 AM
yeah Nate also gives blowjobs on the side too....but he doesn't like to talk about that :D :stick:

Jerren
05-28-2002, 12:14 PM
i sipmply just have this thing called a job.

Jdub07
05-28-2002, 12:54 PM
I just charge it, do the work myself and have a second or third car so if I take longer to work on something than expected I can still get around! Piece of advise....if you start charging mods you may want to look into getting a job. A job is a place where you go once a day (sometimes less if it is a part time job), then you do stuff there. After a week or two you get a peice of paper with 1/2 the $ amount you deserve. Or you could just get your hands on someone else plastic and charge all you want.:lol

Hoshizakido
05-28-2002, 01:03 PM
race people for money so many underestemate(if i only knew how to spell) the power of a 3g. Double your money, dont get carried away and race things you cat win though. Just kidding you just gotta work your ass off to get the green.

87Hybrid
05-28-2002, 04:58 PM
I make some custom parts for freinds help do a little custom restoration on vehicles, presently working on a 66 Bug and a 26 Tbucket with a full 62 tempest drivetrain.

I also E-bay a lot of parts that I find in the wrecking yards.

hondaman87
05-28-2002, 05:46 PM
well it was tuff form owning 5 3geez, but what helped me alot was transforing the parts from one another

p.s. will post pic soon

Jerren
05-28-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by TeKKnoTeKK
yeah Nate also gives blowjobs on the side too....but he doesn't like to talk about that :D :stick:

lmao, hey man nate said don't tell people about that.:lol

gr3k0sLaV
05-28-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by HondaSi88
I'll tell you a secret u wanna save money???? Get a manual and do your own repairs....and when u get stuck do what I do
go to a shop and ask questions or just bug the hell out of everyone on this board.......poor man way!!!!

hah! that's easy when you have your own garage with tools and everything.

I live in an appartment....dont have a luxury like that.

I have a huge roof top though, if only i had a crane.....

ANyway my mechanic has his garage 50m from the back of my home anyway...my car's sitting there right now...waiting for its radiator.

Im a uni student and I work as a telemarketer, i just got a promotion recently and after ive finished training my pay goes to $14per/hr... yay!

just save save save, and dont spend on foolish things as i do.

Justin, I always thought you worked for a motor company or something.

Akuma
05-28-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 88turboaccord
My Brother and I run our own computer business.. We make custom computers, do networking jobs, and repair computers as well, basically the whole shaaaabang.....

hey thats cool... im A+ certified and going to have a bachelor's degree in IT.. need another employee... :)

do you pay well.. :)

L Squared
05-29-2002, 08:32 PM
I work at lenscrafters it pays well and i get a sweet ass benifets package. I'm slowly paying off all of my bills and then i can sink some serious money into my cars.

To make some extra dough i do Quixtar. It's a pretty simple concept. YOu buy stuff and you get a little back and teach others to do the same. Go to www.quixtar.com and if you have any questions on how it works then e-mail me i'd be more than happy to 'splain it all to ya.

-Lē

guaynabo89
05-29-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by TeKKnoTeKK
yeah Nate also gives blowjobs on the side too....but he doesn't like to talk about that :D :stick: :lol :lol :lol :D :cool: :lol

Make a list of everything you need and costs. Then you take out a big fat loan.:D