PDA

View Full Version : Brakes locking weirdly

rspratley09
10-21-2019, 09:57 PM
88 accord coupe lxi 2.0 stock. When driving the pedal gets firmer and firmer. Stop shut car off for ten minutes brakes locked up car wont move all 4 wheels are brakes locked. Release vaccum on the booster start car let idle minute or so. Brakes are now free and i can drive away. Any ideas why guys?

Oldblueaccord
10-22-2019, 04:27 AM
88 accord coupe lxi 2.0 stock. When driving the pedal gets firmer and firmer. Stop shut car off for ten minutes brakes locked up car wont move all 4 wheels are brakes locked. Release vaccum on the booster start car let idle minute or so. Brakes are now free and i can drive away. Any ideas why guys?

Recent new master cylinder?

The rod from the brake pedal to booster needs to be adjusted. There needs to be free play. There is a procedure in the manual I have never done it.

rspratley09
10-22-2019, 08:19 AM
But when i take vacuum off it releases could it still be the adjustment. Like 5 miles and it starts locking so bad the car stops even under throttle in low gear

Oldblueaccord
10-22-2019, 10:06 AM
But when i take vacuum off it releases could it still be the adjustment. Like 5 miles and it starts locking so bad the car stops even under throttle in low gear

Yes absolutely. I dont see it being a problem with the booster.

The manual is here on the website to download. They call for a special tool but you dont really need it. you just need free play.

if you want to rule out the booster I guess you could block it off for the time being but I dont think it will prove the booster is bad just that the master cylinder rod is out of adjustment.

EDIT: the link below this write up looks correct.

https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Honda-Accord-Prelude-1984-1995-Repair-Guide/BRAKE-OPERATING-SYSTEM/Master-Cylinder/_/P-0900c1528005fc68

rspratley09
10-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Ill give it a shot. Im good mechanically so ill check the adjustmemt. I dont mind buying parts stole this car for $400 doesnt even make any valve train noise. Had the surging idle problem tightened the fast idle valve on the intake and fixed that. Kick down cable was broke replaced that. This car was taken care of until the guy i got it from got it. Interior is 9 out of 10 and exterior is 5 out of ten missing trim etc. If u know where to find the center taillight assembly for the trunk with the plate holder attached for a coupe let me know. I have scoured the interwebs and cant find one.

conozo
10-23-2019, 06:56 PM
Sounds to me like that check valve is bad on the vacuum line going to the booster or it got installed backwards somehow recently.