PDA

View Full Version : Outer CV joint stuck

MeltingDog
11-01-2019, 10:22 PM
Hi all,

I need to replace the outer CV boot on my car*. I've removed the axle from the car and have it in a vice. I've been hammering like mad on the outer CV joint but it just will not budge. I've been hitting so hard I'm worried I'm going to damage the joint. There are actually little dents in the head of my hammer.

I don't see any clips retaining it in at all.

Would anyone know how I can remove this?

(*I am aware it's common practice to replace the whole axle but due to my location axles are significantly more expensive then just a new boot)

Oldblueaccord
11-02-2019, 10:21 AM
I havent rebuild one in about 25 years but Im pretty sure the joint is held on by a C clip or a pin.

its a shame here stateside a complete rebuilt axle is like under 100$.

EDIt: some thing like this maybe?

carotman
11-11-2019, 10:21 AM
There's indeed a "C" clip that's retaining it.

Try hammering it "back in" then back out. Maybe the clip got stuck or something. Usually they come out with a good wack.

Also, make sure you're not hitting it at an angle or the blow will not be as effective and you will only dent the head on the joint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8iZpjPG4xM

You can see the guy uses some kind of driver in the video to hit it on the center and not damage the head. You can probably make your own driver using a piece of wood.

Dr_Snooz
11-15-2019, 06:12 PM
It's wonderful when those boots tear and sling that sticky goop all over the wheel well and on your shiny clean new rims.