PDA

View Full Version : How can i drop my car???

Guyver007
05-27-2002, 07:00 PM
Sup everyone im sorry if this isnt the right place to post any questions but im still not sure on where to ask anything at 3g's. I wanted to know if theres any way to drop my car without wasting more then 60 bucks if its possible and how can i do it , what do i use .i Don want my the car to hit the ground so i want something easy and not something i have to spend money on, My famale freaked out when i spent the money to do the back lights all red cause were on a very tight budget so i wanted to do something Inexpensive but atelast make a diffrence in the cars apperance. Im takeing before and after pics of what i do so i can post them up and show you guys whats up..and anyway id like to show ppl what good teachers i have from 3Geez.com.. Peace...:beer: :cool:

goldyaccord
05-27-2002, 10:40 PM
Not much cash man.

Either look on ebay for some used springs or just cut yours. I highly don't recommend it but still at the same time it can help with appearance.

Good luck,

Josh

YK86
05-27-2002, 11:31 PM
Save your money and do it properly when you have the cash. I would reccomend cutting only if you have good struts (more than likely, the originals will be blown) or else, you will really regret it (totally bouncy ride, crap handling, sways like crazy). If you do cut, only cut one coil and drive around and see how it feels. If it's not too bad, you can cut a little more. There is a fine line between cutting too much and just right so you have to be careful. But the best way to do it is to buy lowering springs (like Sprints for $100) and at least a set of new OEM style struts like KYB's or Monroe's (buy performance ones if you have enough money).

Afrosheen
05-27-2002, 11:39 PM
Deliver some pizza to a Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig building. When you get there, roll down all the windows. Within minutes your car will be filled with fat women, and the car will sit at least 2" lower. Not a permanent drop though. I'd go with coilovers, it's what I'm considering right now.

jigga225
05-28-2002, 07:48 AM
sounds like if you make your girl mad enough she'll drop it fo ya.
But on the real, man just stack your bread cuz 60 aint gonna cut it. Cheapest thing to do would be to do like yk86 and buy the sprint springs for a bill.
But its gonna cost you later becaue your tires will wear out and your struts will prob. blow

kennyaccordlxi
05-28-2002, 09:04 AM
The easiest way to drop your car is to drive it off a cliff....:bandit:

87AccordsterLx
05-28-2002, 09:35 AM
LOL @ Jigga.... I had a mental image of some chick taking an AK47 or some C4 to it.... That would definitly do the trick... :flame: :badass: :fight: :ego:

Jims 86LXI HB
05-28-2002, 10:02 AM
The sale on sprint springs at impact is long over, they don't have them for $99 anymore. Cheapest I can find is $129/$139 If anyone can post a active link where you can really get sprints for $99 please let me know.

You can get 2" drop springs from suspension techniques at www.fastfours.com or www.nopionline.com for $97

DO NOT WASTE A DIME on KYB GR-2's struts you will hate how they ride about the same as if you kept the stock struts in, after all they are valved the same. It doesn't cost that much more to get better struts from tokico, $235 from shox.com And since the suspension techniques springs are not as stiff as the sprints they will feel better with the tokico's then the sprints would feel with tokico struts. If money wasn't a key issue, I'd be recommending Koni struts.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-28-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
If money wasn't a key issue, I'd be recommending Koni struts.

Well not everyone needs to be able to turn on a dime like you Jim :p

Jims 86LXI HB
05-28-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by TeKKnoTeKK

Well not everyone needs to be able to turn on a dime like you Jim :p

Turning on a dime is not the subject at hand and he never mentioned that he wanted something like that. What's at issue is money. How is he better served by advise that would have him waste what little money he has?

Your comment would be JUST if I had said, "buy nothing other than konis". But I don't say that, I advised him on a better choice than the KYB's. And even then the tokico's don't have a perfect record in the front.

The performance of Koni sturts is a side benefit of a strut that doesn't let the spring do things it should not be allowed to do.
That is the real issue. Brings up "stopping on a dime", is extreamly short sighted to that whole issue. What should be asked is, which strut makes the car feel right, no bounce, no funny business. It's not my fault that the strut makers don't choice to valve their products to match the stiffness of lowering springs. I have read pretty much every single posting relating to this issue since the creation of the original board, well over a year ago. And I have had the personel experience of pulling struts that were to soft. My pulling of those struts had ZERO!!! to do with cornering and everything to do with how it bounced and felt kinda mushy and weird. The Koni's banished all that.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-28-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB

.............The Koni's banished all that.

Damn man! One little comment returned all that, one thing is for sure Jim, you don't mess around! lol

Jims 86LXI HB
05-28-2002, 04:53 PM
:werd: well,umm, ah, errrr, umm:wave:

hondaman87
05-28-2002, 05:51 PM
cut'em i mean chop the springs with a cut off wheel

(Warning) the best thing is to use a cut off wheel insted off a torch because the torch will heat the spring and you will get wrong measurment or height distance

89 Lxi racer
05-28-2002, 06:14 PM
The cheapest way you could drop ur car and do it yourself easily in about 15 minutes would be to melt your spring =)
tools required:
torch or mini torch and a spray bottle

TeKKnoTeKK
05-28-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by 89 Lxi racer
The cheapest way you could drop ur car and do it yourself easily in about 15 minutes would be to melt your spring =)
tools required:
torch or mini torch and a spray bottle

That doesn't sound safe to me, and it seems that it may not be such a good idea? :huh:

89 Lxi racer
05-28-2002, 11:06 PM
yup tekkno the alignment would be WAY off
well thats the cheapest ...most easiest way to drop your car
its safe....:p

Jims 86LXI HB
05-28-2002, 11:53 PM
Heating a spring to lower a car is not a good idea. When you heat a spring you are weakening it. You are removing its ability to be a spring. Your turning it into regular metal and that's why it goes lower when it's reinstalled back into the car. I'd cut them before that, and even that's not a good idea either, but allot less so, than heating them.

I dare anyone to call any one of the spring companies and tell they you ALL READY own one of their springs. And tell them you want to heat it to make it lower. Then come back here and post who agreed that it was ok to do. And be sure and get tech's man, so I can call his boss and get him fired when corporate finds out.:rolleyes:

89 Lxi racer
05-29-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Guyver007
Sup everyone im sorry if this isnt the right place to post any questions but im still not sure on where to ask anything at 3g's. I wanted to know if theres any way to drop my car without wasting more then 60 bucks if its possible and how can i do it , what do i use .i Don want my the car to hit the ground so i want something easy and not something i have to spend money on, My famale freaked out when i spent the money to do the back lights all red cause were on a very tight budget so i wanted to do something Inexpensive but atelast make a diffrence in the cars apperance. Im takeing before and after pics of what i do so i can post them up and show you guys whats up..and anyway id like to show ppl what good teachers i have from 3Geez.com.. Peace...:beer: :cool:
well he did ask on the most inexpensive...easy to do it yourself way...:D I know its not really a great way to do it but...ya know

Guyver007
05-31-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Afrosheen
Deliver some pizza to a Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig building. When you get there, roll down all the windows. Within minutes your car will be filled with fat women, and the car will sit at least 2" lower. Not a permanent drop though. I'd go with coilovers, it's what I'm considering right now.

Not a bad idea bout the fat woman ya know... >=P:flipa:

Guyver007
05-31-2002, 07:28 PM
Ive noticed that some rides have the tires all Slanted Inward into the car and outward on the road whats up with that? it looks like someon droped the fat woman on the car at Jenny graig and if thats the way its gonna look then HELL NO!!!!!! that i know wastes the inside of the tires my tires are bad as is cause of me takeing off when i race. And about the car being bouncy well i dont realy mind tha car bouncing infact i think that looks funny , i like seeing it "SEEING IT" never been in a car that bounced like that but i can only let you guys know when i do it, so far cuting sounds like a good option till i can get coil overs or a drop kit if there is one for the 3rd gen accord. i havent had much luck finding many things for a 3rd gen accord, i havent even found intakes for them and i know there has to be some out there, plus im trying to create my own cold air intake for my carb model if i accomplish this i will let you all know how to make one.. "No promises"

Afrosheen
05-31-2002, 09:37 PM
That's called 'negative camber' and it's the result of a low drop. A camber kit will let you adjust the camber to restore it to neutral camber (0 degrees) so the tires are perpendicular to the ground again. That's why everyone talks about camber kits.

Guyver007
06-01-2002, 02:37 PM
Aghh i see Well thank you.. .. sorry to those whos cars look like that but seriouse shit that looks very un cool...

Lockleaf
06-04-2002, 02:46 PM
look, i know what it's like to be bankrupt. I just barely graduated and i have shit for money. I'm working 3000 miles from home for 3 months just to that I have the money to do my H22 swap. Here's my advice though. Save your change. I mean really. I mean save all of the silver coin that you get. It sounds stupid but in 3 or 4 months you'll find you have over $70 in silver change. Trust me I do this every year. It's almost like free money. It just seems to come from no where. If you do that until the end of the summer and the put away every other penny your female will allow, by the end of the summer you could have $200 dollars, that way you can at least get some decent quality equipment. If you don't have the money to do it right then dont do it. Deal with the appearence for a while longer. You'll be much happier in the end if you do. Hurrying things on a project car is the biggest mistake that can be made. Do it right. Do it once. Just my two cents. Later. Lockleaf

TeKKnoTeKK
06-04-2002, 03:41 PM
One thing I have never understood is positive camber? Like on the baha bugs, I never did get why the wheels curved in. Crazy lol.