PDA

View Full Version : **Catalacl Converter Need Help Desperatly**

89AccordLXI666
03-01-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi Well I couldn't find my other thread I posted so I am going to retype this again.... Ok I seemed 2 have a problem with my cat converter, and it had a little leak, so what i did was since I didn't have alot of Money I figured I'd do a cheap way of repairing it.... I bought that exhaust repair kit, it looks like a red bandage patch type of thing and u wrap it around the hole or leak several times and then u use a metal wire to wrap up the bandage to keep it in place, then u start up your car and let it run for about 10 minutes and then the bandage will bond to the leak thus repairing it.... Well what I wanted to know is it going to be safe and was it a bad thing to do or what? I also have to buy more because I ran out of it and didn't have success patching up the whole leak up... but I noticed it is alot quiter now that i did that, so again my question is... is that ok to do or am I going to mess things up such as emissions etc... Please let me know or if u have other alternitives that I could do? Thanks... :)

SMITHACCORD*&
03-02-2003, 11:28 AM
if you can fix the leak you will be just fine and you don't have to worry about failing emiss

89AccordLXI666
03-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Cool thank alot for the info bro.... If n e one else has n e idea's please feel free to post.... Lataz

87Hybrid
03-02-2003, 04:40 PM
the main reson that a cat would creat a leak is that it is plugged. The cat burns off at ofer 700 degrees f so it is most likly that the muffler repair that you used will not last. I tried that shit on a manifold on my old 76 dorolla and it burnt through in a matter of days. Best bet is to replace the cat.

89AccordLXI666
03-02-2003, 06:16 PM
Yeah your right about that... I just need it to last enough to pass emitions, so that I pass... i know it will last long enough for emissions to pass me without getting a failed sticker, but I still have my 89 Accord that I crashed up and I can cut the cat off from that one and put it on my 86 accord lx and just use 2 adapters to connect it with, and the cat on my 89 is still in very good condition so that won't be a problem... I'm not too worried about that, so as long as I pass emissions I'm all set... I don't have my 86 Accord LX on the road yet, still waiting for my second check from taxes to come in the mail and once it does, I'm planning on putting it on the road along with getting it through emissions and it will pass, cuz If it does eventually burn away that repair kit stuff after emissions it will be all set... It's not like I'm driving it now so the patch repair kit stuff will last the day I need to pass emissions and possably a few days later it will still be good, but I'm planning on using the cat from my 89 Accord after to swap it over to the 87 Accord LX.... Thanks guy's for the info... Lataz :wave:

87Hybrid
03-03-2003, 03:39 AM
the cat is held on with 6 bolts.

89AccordLXI666
03-03-2003, 09:29 AM
87Hybrid... so basically what your telling me to do is unbolt 6 of those bolts and get the other cat from my crashed up 89 accord and swap it over to my 86 and bolt it on and that's it??? Please explain to me in detail... Thanks Bro :-)

SMITHACCORD*&
03-03-2003, 04:22 PM
It might work but i think the bolt patterns are different. you can see. but my car passed emiss with a bad cat
had very very high nox but still passed barely. that exhaust stuff is usually used as temp til you can get the stuff fixed.

87Hybrid
03-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Check the bolt paterns but yes YUou should get hte cat from the crashed car, swap the exhausts if you have to but I wouldnt run with the repair stuff on my cat.

89AccordLXI666
03-05-2003, 06:25 AM
Well I already put the repair shit on the cat... I finally have my car on the road, but the stuff didn't last on the cat, it's not sealed again, damnit oh well Guess next option is to take the cat off the other one.... now can I just use the cat from my 89 and swap it over to my 86 or do I also need the whole exhaust with it? I just wanted to swap the cat and just the cat from the 89 to the 86 Accord LX, I won't be able to do that today cuz I guess a mix of rain and snow is expected in the forcast for New England so the weather is gpoing to slow this process down a bit.... good thing I have 7 days to get my car inspected huh..... Lataz