PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt

1987HondaAccord
03-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Ok,

I'm pretty sure I need to replace this, but I dont really have the courage to get it out and get the new one in right and get all the bolts tightened right. So for those of you that have already done this, how hard is it to do? Would it be like a few hours or like almost a full day? Do I have to / should I do anything else at the same time?

thanks for your help;)

Mantis88LX
03-02-2003, 04:36 PM
its a real pain in the ass, im lucky my dad knew how to do it :) i watched him and helped a little, i dont think i could do it by my self.

89RIDE
03-02-2003, 04:40 PM
I'm working on getting my timing belt off also, and all I can tell you is that it's not a very easy process. There are a good amount of bolts, but the hardest part is the little space you have to work with. Good luck and let me know how it goes

offthahook
03-02-2003, 10:21 PM
All belts, water pump cuz you're in there anyway. If it's your first time, prolly too much unless you got skillz fa sho.

AccordEpicenter
03-02-2003, 10:25 PM
if you arent good with cars i wouldnt suggest you do it on your own. If youve become quite adept at working on it i suppose you could do it but it would take you at least a day and its not easy. Some bolts like the crank pulley bolt are tough to get off, so dont plan on it being a walk in the park.

2twisty
03-03-2003, 07:33 AM
I have not yet done the timing belt on my 3g, but it can't be too dissimilar to the job I did on my 94 civic with the b16.

The biggest PITA was getting the main crank bolt out.

Since these engines turn the opposite way from every other engine used in cars, the main crank bolt tends to tighten over time and often requires STUPEED amounts of torque to get it off.

On the Civic, we had to lock the engine by putting rope into a cylinder and pringing the piston up onto it (dangerous method if you don't know what you're doing) then we put a 4 foot cheater bar on it and it took some serious muscle to get it off.

The rest of the job was quite easy after going through all that.

I think the second biggest PITA is having to loosen motor mounts to lower the engine enough to get at everything.

Good luck.

Chad

(who is going to have to do that belt soon, since his 3g has 160k on it and he doesn't know when the belt was changed last, but it's looking "worn")

slammedLXI
03-03-2003, 09:11 AM
how much do shops usually charge for this?

ACCORD EX
03-03-2003, 09:19 AM
welll tightening the belts is the difficult part , you should have teh sense for the right tension !

MIKE