PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover gasket replacement on an '87 LX-i

Temeku
11-29-2019, 02:16 PM
I'm replacing the valve cover gasket on my 1987 Honda Accord LX-i sedan, as the old one started leaking a month ago. It only leaks on the side facing the front of the vehicle, into a couple of the spark plug wells and onto the exhaust manifold below, making for quite a bit of smoke when the engine warms up. I already degreased and cleaned the worst of it last week, I just wipe up any other oil each day from around the gasket. The valve cover already comes off pretty easily, as I already had to remove it a few months ago when checking the condition of the timing belt.

I have the replacement gasket I ordered from RockAuto and some Permatex "Ultra Grey" RTV gasket maker. Trouble is, I can't find anywhere in the online PDF of the shop manual on where to apply the RTV, if at all? The three grommets on the valve cover are OK on my engine, so I'm not worried about those.

InAccordance
11-29-2019, 08:12 PM
You dont use RTV on that one.
I guess you could but it isn't required. I've had to change that gasket many times just from valve work or whatnot. Never used rtv on the replacement and never had a problem with leaks. The one currently on mine was replaced like a year ago and hasn't had a problem and I didn't use any sealant on it.
If you take the cover off at any point for whatever reason, it's best to just throw a new gasket on it as trying to reuse them does tend make them leak..
I'd go ahead and replace the grommets while your at it. If they're old and haven't been removed in a long time, chances are taking them off will ruin them and they'll leak in short order. It's one of those things like a rear main seal.. if your ever in the situation where you can get to it, go ahead and change it just to be safe.

Oldblueaccord
11-30-2019, 12:49 AM
Well I think it calls for Honda bond in the cracks where the hump on each end of the head but I apply mine dry.
I agree the with changing the grommets since they torque the valve cover down.

Temeku
11-30-2019, 07:50 PM
Thank you both. I replaced the gasket today with no issue. I can see someone applied RTV around the "humps" at some point in the past, I left that alone while cleaning the mating surfaces. Drove the car around quite a bit today with the new gasket and all appears good except for what looks like some fresh oil near the distributor, but that might have already been there from past leakages, I won't be sure until tomorrow.

InAccordance
12-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Classic case of fix one leak and another will take its place.
Distributor o rings are easy though, just unbolt it, slide er out and replace the o ring on it.
They're cheap even at box stores since honda used the same seal up to 2001 I think it was.