PDA

View Full Version : problems w/ 89 LXi

89LXIGUY
03-03-2003, 09:43 AM
questions:

1. my rear defrost does not work. I have checked all fuses and am in the process of checking wiring. ne other suggesstions?

2. reverse lights do not work. Have checked fuses.

3. when i start the car in the cold for it to warm up w/ the heater going, a gas smell fills the car and immediate surroundings. no liquid around injectors.

4. how can i check my status lights such as my "check engine", gas light, etc.

i guess thats enough for now.
NE help at all is greatly appreciated!

Blue Impact
03-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by 89LXIGUY
reverse lights do not work. Have checked fuses.

You've checked the fuses, but have you checked the bulbs? It could be that the bulbs are burnt or something. If it isn't the bulbs either, then you might wanna check your tranny. There should be two wires to your tranny which triggers your reverse lights to come on whenever you shift to reverse.

ACCORD EX
03-03-2003, 01:05 PM
REVERSE LIGHTS >
if both are gone so it's bropably teh back up switch that Blue Impact
mantioned right above teh tranny under the distributer ! should be 2 wire connected there ! my bet it's loose ! :D

> LAST PROBLEM !

i don't really get the question ! does your check engine light come on or what ? if so check the ECU codes under the seats !
if you mean how to check if they are working or not ,i think the check engine come on when you turn the ignition on ( right before starting the car )
about the gas light you'll know when you run out of gas if it works or not ! ! :D and i won't do that ! running on a nearly empty tank is bad for the car ! all teh junk in the tank yill go to your fuel system ! :(

hope this helps !

MIKE

88LXi/87CRXSi
03-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Since the back up lights & idiot lights have been covered pretty well already, here's a link for testing your rear def switch & relay:rear defroster switch & relay test (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/r%20def%20switch%20relay%20test.gif)
the relay is on the back of the dash fuse box, just about in the center. Hope that helps a little!

-Steve

shepherd79
03-03-2003, 02:00 PM
about the fuel smell, check the fuel pipe itself when it comes in into the engine bay. make sure it is tight.

89LXIGUY
03-03-2003, 10:04 PM
thanks, tat really helps guys!