PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Ground Wire?

spaz
05-27-2002, 09:01 PM
During a recent waterpump change, i removed the alternator to better get at the waterpump. When i went to put it back together, i lost the little brass colored nut that holds the (i think) ground wire on. For a temporary fix i put some washers on the bolt and put a nut that's a little to small a couple threads on to hold the ground wire. This would be fine, but every now and then the battery light comes on and i have to fiddle with the wire. Also, some weird looking deposits are forming on the washers and bolt.

thanks in advance,

spaz

89 accord lxi 2door (efi)
297,553.7 :eek:

A20A1
05-27-2002, 10:29 PM
It's all about the resistance building up.. sort of Polarizing both ends of the connection between the wire and the alternator. I can't go into detail... but a good clean connection will not cause deposits.
I suggest you replace the bolt and or nut and clean the connections... soon, before the corrosion eats the metal to and unusable state

POS carb
05-28-2002, 08:39 PM
it should be a standard 10mm Honda nut, take one off of your rear speakers and use that for now

86exi
05-29-2002, 09:01 AM
Always add a little bit of grease to the nut. This will stop any Corrosion :smokin:

POS carb
05-29-2002, 04:28 PM
btw, it's not a ground wire, it's the charge wire you're talking about. Any grounding can be handled by the body of the alternator