PDA

View Full Version : Loose Steering!!!!!

89accordlxi
03-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Ok, if anyone remembers, I hit a curb a couple weeks ago and bent my driver side lower control arm pretty badly. I have since then replaced the control arm. I believe that my sub frame may also be bent or pushed out of wack. From the front, my front wheels look like this /-----/. It's not that bad but is noticable. Is this some thing that I can have adjusted by getting an alignment or does the frame have to be bent back to original???? It looks to me like it has to do with camber, but since our cars don't have camber adjustments, I was thinking of going ahead and upgrading to the prelude upper control arms. Will correcting the camber that way work or would the fact that the frame is bent or pushed over still affect my steering? Ever since the incident, my steering has been very loose. When I go over cracks or bumps in the road, my steering moves... that's not normall.. Could a bad upper ball joint also cause this movement in the steering wheel when going over bumps and cracks. I have noticed that the upper ball joint is loose so I will also be replacing that when I do the prelude control arm swap. Any suggestions or insight would be great. Thanks.

Peace...

ACCORD EX
03-03-2003, 12:59 PM
/-----/ like this doesn't look good ! i don't think camber will fix that !

MIKE

AccordEpicenter
03-03-2003, 01:43 PM
well first thing is you gotta see if you can fix ur camber problem. Tons of things can cause loose steering, a bad rack, bad tie rod ends, bad wheel bearing,

89accordlxi
03-03-2003, 03:20 PM
/-----/ this of course is just an exaggeration. In reality it is bearly noticable, I can only notice it because I know that I hit a curb. I just called the junk yard and they are pulling some control arms off a prelude for me as we speak. I will try to fix the camber with that first. I wll check my tie rod ends as well. I had no problems with the steering until after the collision so maybe I also knocked my steering rack out of wack. What are some things to look for in a bad rack? My wheel bearings feel pretty tight yet, but I will double check them to make sure. loose lower ball joint could also be a suspect????
I guess we'll have to wait to see what happens after I replace the control arms and upper ball joints.

Any other suggestions would be great..

Peace out...

AccordEpicenter
03-03-2003, 05:47 PM
yeah but a little is prolly more than a few degrees, enough to cause bad problems