PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch getting hot

InAccordance
12-20-2019, 04:44 PM
When I run the heater, after 5 mins or so, the ignition switch gets super hot, like it burnt my finger the other night.
Yes, my switch is out because I lost the tiny bolts that hold it in, dont judge.
I know why because it's running power through it to run the blower motor but it shouldn't be getting THAT hot..

Dr_Snooz
12-22-2019, 09:18 AM
It's almost always caused by wire gauges that are too small for the amperage they're carrying and/or wire connections with corrosion or too much resistance (bad crimp, inferior connectors, etc). Identifying the bad connection is pretty easy: just look for the one that's melted.

Oldblueaccord
12-22-2019, 12:18 PM
When I run the heater, after 5 mins or so, the ignition switch gets super hot, like it burnt my finger the other night.
Yes, my switch is out because I lost the tiny bolts that hold it in, dont judge.
I know why because it's running power through it to run the blower motor but it shouldn't be getting THAT hot..

The heater blower is probably pulling alot of amps. Check the connector it might be toasted and or blow out the area where the brushes are for the motor might help bring the amp draw down. It is fused very very high and should not be. I replaced my connector and an inline 20 amp fuse.

EDIT:

Went thru the prints from the 1988 HELMS book 26-18. Double check my readings.

40A(fuse22)----wht/blk-----IG2(B)------blu/wht------blower motor

IG2(b) is a post on the ignition switch itself.

InAccordance
12-27-2019, 10:35 PM
Makes sense, had replaced the blower motor last year. One I got came off an 88 so I dont see why it would cause a problem but I'll check it out. Thank you both.