PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Accord. Both low beams stopped working. Pls help.

frastydragon
01-04-2020, 07:52 PM
While driving both of the low beams suddenly stopped working. The high beams work. New lights. Ive had them go out before but going over potholes or speed bumps turns them back on. Sometimes. Ive checked both of the fuse boxes and they are fine. I dont think its the switch since jiggling it doesnt make the light flicker on/off. So the only thing is the grounds maybe? I have no clue where the grounds are. I cleaned the valve cover grounds but they still dont work. Hopefully it isnt the wires. Thanks

frastydragon
01-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Maybe the switch?

Oldblueaccord
01-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Maybe the switch?

If the fuse is good I would expect the combo switch is bad. It houses the sticks on the steering wheel. I think you pry off the back cover of it it's a large white wire the low beams are powered right thru it,no relay.

frastydragon
01-05-2020, 09:08 PM
If the fuse is good I would expect the combo switch is bad. It houses the sticks on the steering wheel. I think you pry off the back cover of it it's a large white wire the low beams are powered right thru it,no relay.

Yep it was the comb switch. I took it apart and cleaned the terminals and the slider for the light. It had this weird green/black grease? Maybe a combo of oxidization and arcing. Wiped it off and sort of polished the surface with a towel until it looked clean. Applied some new di grease. And it works now no more problems. Glad this was an easy fix and not a $200 replacement.