PDA

View Full Version : Coolant/temp issues?

frastydragon
01-05-2020, 09:48 PM
The temp gauge on the dash is barely 1/4 way up even when going 80 mph on the highway(car also starts shaking at 85, probably need to get it aligned and balanced and checked, 10 yr old tires lol. Speedo also ahead 3-4ish mph). Also ive noticed that as the air temp goes colder the needle also gets lower so the sensor should be working. So is it the sensor's fault or the needle is broken? should I be worried?

The second issue is that it looks like something exploded/squirted out right behind the engine onto the frames. Its this weird green/light green goo but like I drove it around again I noticed it and it has not changed(no more new goo). Is it like coagulated coolant? idk looks weird. I did a recent oil change and the oil was normal looking. Refilled the coolant prior and the level is still the same.

This car got alotta minor issues.

AWH
01-06-2020, 02:51 AM
With these colder temperatures my temp does not get much higher. Could be your thermostat is stuck open, but if your heater stil gets hot, I shouldn't be worried.
I don't know about the goo, could be old cooling fluid, sounds like it because of the coulour.You might have overfilled it, the overflow tank should be half full.
You definitely need an alignment or new tires, don't neglect that safety issue, a blown tire is no joke. Keep us posted.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn H8314 met Tapatalk

frastydragon
01-06-2020, 04:27 PM
I jacked the car up today and checked the wheels. The control arms? the U shaped thing I could wiggle them with my hands and looks like the bushings maybe shot. The question is can i just replace the bushings or do i have to replace the whole assembly and where would i find the parts. Or is the wiggling normal.

Also while idling the rpms are below 500.

And since my state doesnt need emission for older cars im thinking of plugging up the egr and cutting/drilling out the cat material.

AWH
01-06-2020, 09:59 PM
You can just replace the bushings,I believe Preludepower,or Cheddas Auto sells upgraded ones from polymeres.
Might start with a tune up to settle rpm, like cap/rotor and plugs/wires and airfilter before deleting anything.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn E5823 met Tapatalk

frastydragon
01-06-2020, 11:37 PM
I just replaced the plugs, wires and airfilter. Tho one of the spark plugs had issues going back in/threads felt weird. The distributor looked new.
The bushings are expensive af

Dr_Snooz
01-07-2020, 09:51 PM
If you think your old car is expensive, try buying a new one! LOL

Oldblueaccord
01-08-2020, 10:42 AM
I just replaced the plugs, wires and airfilter. Tho one of the spark plugs had issues going back in/threads felt weird. The distributor looked new.
The bushings are expensive af

UCA bushings Rockauto has closeout parts list there like under 10$.

I would check the rear upper ball joints as well they wear out quick on these cars.

frastydragon
01-08-2020, 03:40 PM
Its the driver's side control arm. The whole thing was wiggling not so much where the ball joint was but behind where it connected to the car.. There is a huge dent in the frame it looked like someone hit something going real fast idk, so i think the control arm might be damaged or bent? Im just gonna replace the whole control arm.

InAccordance
01-11-2020, 07:33 PM
UCA bushings Rockauto has closeout parts list there like under 10$.

I would check the rear upper ball joints as well they wear out quick on these cars.

You ain't kidding.

frastydragon
01-15-2020, 06:22 PM
New problem/s have appeared. It doesn't like starting when the engine is hot. Sometimes it hiccups a bit. Other times I gotta keep cranking it and step on the gas pedal to get it going. Mostly depends on how long ago I parked it. I do delivery. There are no problems with cold starting thought. I dont think it's the pump. I am going to replace the fuel filter and it looks like the injectors are leaking(where it the injectors meet the body). So maybe I need to get new o rings and clean the injectors?

Dr_Snooz
01-17-2020, 09:21 PM
For any hot start issues, check your main relay first.

frastydragon
11-16-2020, 08:36 PM
So the outside temp has dropped below 45 degrees f. My car has started idle hunting again. Cold start the idle rises to 1500 so I think that's normal but stopping at lights and stuff it bounces around 1k. The engine temp barely moves after like 10 mins of driving. Last time I changed the thermostat I don't remember If there was a rubber gasket or not(if there was then i dont have it or maybe the gasket is just worn af)? Cause with the low ass temp I feel like the thermostat could be always open?
Also the heat is barely hot its more like luke warm. (ac is off. when ac is on the heat becomes cooler)

AWH
11-17-2020, 03:03 AM
There is a rubber gasket for sure where the thermostat is seated in. Look for the OEM Honda specially shaped gasket. Not a universal flat one. So could just be the culprit on engine not getting warm.
Not sure on effect on idle.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn E5823 met Tapatalk

Dr_Snooz
11-18-2020, 09:31 PM
Definitely sounds like a bad thermostat to me.

frastydragon
11-20-2020, 06:27 PM
So ive decided to switch cars. Gonna daily the miata now. Might rebuild the engine (a20a3) in the mean while(oil pan leak got worse so might as well rebuild the whole thing if im gonna pull the engine out). Higher compression? Turbo? b20 swap or keep it oem? Any ideas?
If b20 swap can it just bolt to the existing trans?
Or should i sell it? for how much? 3k?