PDA

View Full Version : Poor MPG and Engine Running Rich

Magna86
01-20-2020, 05:56 PM
Alright guys got something going on here. My mileage has dropped significantly. The car is barely squeaking 250miles to a tank avg 21-23mpg. This car was avg over 30mpg and on long road trips close to 50mpg. So something is telling the computer wrong info. Car doesn't seem to have a loss of power. Here's what's been done so far:

Compression all 4 around 180psi
No signs of head gasket leak in the oil or coolant.
Changed some worn hoses and thermostat 180*(thought possibly stuck open)
ECT changed incase was failing but ohm's were correct
Plugs and wires good have about 25k on them
Checked timing and vacuum advance
No disconnected lines or sensors
Sprayed for intake gasket or vacuum leaks none found
No lights or codes
O2 sensors were replaced. Have one Bosch and one denso(got a bad denso from the box) Thought this was original problem since I had 2 code hence the Bosch replacement. Code gone but still bad mpg.

So my next step is to read the O2 voltage and see if them are playing nice.

What are you thoughts. I have an intermittent hot start issue but I'm tying that to main relay which I haven't replaced yet.(I'd like to meet that smart engineer for location logic!)

Thanks
Guys

AWH
01-20-2020, 08:01 PM
I do know that the Bosch O2 sensors are the worst. Denso is the brand to have.Not sure if that will solve your problem. Your cat could be clogged,telling your ecu wrong info I guess. Replace cap & rotor, small investment, rule that out.Did you check your plugs and wires [emoji780]Or assumed good because of mileage [emoji780]Always check.
Keep us posted on progress

Verstuurd vanaf mijn E5823 met Tapatalk

conozo
01-23-2020, 08:31 PM
What kind of spark plugs did you use?

Do you think you have fuel in the oil?

Magna86
01-27-2020, 10:54 AM
The spark plugs are NGK I believe and maybe the wires. New from previous owner. I swapped out the Bosch 02 for a Denso and will see if this corrects the issue. No issues with the Cat its less than a year old. I didn't smell any fuel in the oil and no signs its going in there. Injectors were replaced last year as well. We'll see what this tank of gas does.

Oldblueaccord
01-29-2020, 12:59 PM
I will add a few things.

The new Cat may effect mileage since its possible the old one was defective and or open.

I am suspicious of the 50 mpg...personally I never seen more than 38? one time on one long trip with 94 Sunonco which they dont make any more. Some carb cars can do a little better. Realistically 30 mpg?

I get 22-24 with E85 so you should be able to do better than that and my compression is about the same maybe lower.

Magna86
02-03-2020, 07:45 AM
The new cat is almost 2yrs old now so no issues there. This car always got excellent gas mpg but something is still off. Just got back from a 340mile road trip where I was cruising at 65 most of time with cruise control. Got 30mpg out of it. I drove this car cross country in 2018 with 1100lbs of stuff in it and was getting over 40 at 70mph plus.

Dr_Snooz
02-06-2020, 08:37 PM
That mileage is about right for an LX-i. l do the same kind of driving every day and get just under 30. You were probably miscalculating before.

Magna86
02-25-2020, 01:44 AM
Definitely not micalculating this is proven over long road trips. On a separate note I noticed my radiator fans come in the mornings after I start the car. I changed the radiator temp sensor but it's still doing it. So I wonder if they are coming on more than they should making the car read colder. The only temp sensor not changed is the one for when the car is off and get above 215 and cycles the fans.

InAccordance
02-26-2020, 11:33 AM
Yea... an HF crx will get 40, not an accord.