PDA

View Full Version : automatic transmision accord aerodek 88

mario
03-04-2003, 06:30 AM
i have a accord aerodeck 1988 and my automatic transmision was defect,stuck.i bought a other one and my garage put the other one in my car but now i have troubels again can someone help me.i will explain the problem when i put the car in its gear (d4 or R,d3 or whatever) it makes a chucking grind noise,with the old one i never heard it and when i drive it must make 5000rpm before it goes to the next gear,when i drive 5o kmh it makes 4100 rpm.does someone knowes the problem.p.s oil level is oke

markmdz89hatch
03-04-2003, 06:41 AM
Mario, first and foremost, welcome to 3Geez! It's great to have yet another Aerodeck owner here. You are one of only about 4 or 5 here that own an Aerodeck.

My first thought would be that the transmission that was installed is also on it's way out to a certain degree. These auto transmissions on the 3G are not the best in the world, however the 5spd is a pretty durable tranny.

With that said, if you would prefer the Aerodeck to be a 5-spd, it's really not that difficult of a job. Myself and a handfull of others here have done an auto to 5spd. swap with great success. It's also a cheaper alternative to just replacing an auto tranny.

Good luck with whatever happens.

SiR
03-04-2003, 09:33 AM
Welcome to the community!

These autos are very sensitive. Sounds like the previous owner cared less about their automatic. All they need are frequent changed of the fulid. In the countary, Honda autos are very durable. My transmission has yet to be opened up for whatever reason, I just replace the fuild every 15k, sometimes less when i have nothing to do somedays. The orignal tranny is now at 273k and shifting firm, just like how I wanted it to be.

I dont know about the noise, the late shifting might be from the transmission cable, check it if its binding with anything. I had that ones only cuz I had to move the cable out of the way and I forgot to put it back to where it was ones originaly. When it shifts, those it slip?

Grant2k
03-04-2003, 02:04 PM
lucas oil stop slip is supposed to be a really good product. lucas makes a lot of stuff and i understand that they all work well and are worth the money to stop shudders, slips and all kinds of wierd transmission stuff. i don't have an auto so i've never used them but i plan on trying some in my girlfriend's 88.

why is this still in the pictures forum?

Sharky196
03-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Just some info from what I just recently went through! My tranny was not shifting until around 4500 rpms, but was not making the chucking noise your talking about (yet!). So I adjusted the cable up to see if that was the prob. I must have went too far with thee adjustment because then I had the chucking noise when I put it in any gear. As it turned out the problem was that the previous owner had filled the tranny too full. ( two and a half quarts too full). I re-adjusted the cable and got rid of the chucking noise. Then put the fluid level at the proper level and it has shifted great ever since. Just a thought and I hope your as lucky as I was.:)

mario
03-06-2003, 04:18 AM
thanks for the welkom and for the reactions but i think that the tranny is the problem or maybe the mechanic has not install the tranny oke.i have adjust the cable buti don t know when it s oke.p.s do you all have a accord aerodeck because the pictures i see with you re messages are not the same type as my car

greetings mario

mario
03-06-2003, 04:31 AM
http://www.photocountry.com/users/11319/hondamario.jpg
My honda

gr Mario

Sharky196
03-06-2003, 04:54 AM
http://members/cardomain.com/sharky196 My Honda

Sharky196
03-06-2003, 05:01 AM
http://members.cardomain.com/sharky196

markmdz89hatch
03-06-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by mario
.p.s do you all have a accord aerodeck because the pictures i see with you re messages are not the same type as my car

greetings mario

Hi Mario, I like that pic of your Aerodeck. It looks to be in great condition. As for all of us, we do all drive Accords between '86-'89, but the majority of us here on this board are either from the US or Canada. The Aerodeck was not available in over here. Actually there are very few Aerodeck owners here on this board, so you are one of the "lucky ones" to have one. There were actually 4 different body styles of the 3G produced; Aerodeck, 4dr. (Saloon), 2dr. (coupe), and Hatchback. Also as you may have noticed from other pics posted, all 3G's here in the US and Canada have the flip (hidden) lights just as the Aerodeck. However, the saloon's over there had fixed headlights, not the flip style.

Did that clear anything up?

Be sure and ask us everything that we may be able to help you with.

!(>..<)!85AeroAccord
03-11-2003, 11:38 AM
I've got the same prob - thought it was 2nd gear - or maybe it is - when manually selecting instead of D4 it doesnt seem to want to do anything - didn't rev too high just in case - but I'll try to replace fluid & adjust cable. fingers crossed

On another note I too have an aerodeck just like Mario's - what's more there are plenty of them too here in Blighty - I saw 2 today just on one road.

#whispers# "I see aerodecks"

they're bloody everywhere and parts are quite easy to find - good job too really :D

In fact - if anyone is really interested in one of this type I would be willing to help anyone procure one of these lovelies, you'd be amazed at the prices - some as low as 300 sterling!!! thats with MOT's some of them. Found a few B20 engines too, thinking of it myself but I've not had mine long so fixing a few minor prob first.

mario
03-11-2003, 04:07 PM
good luck,i checked the fluid level and it's oke and adjust the cable but i notice no differenty.How do you know when the cable is good