PDA

View Full Version : Early choke engagement

pat8635
02-11-2020, 07:21 PM
I only use non ethanol fuel. This 88 accord lx w/190k miles runs almost perfectly. One issue is making me crazy. The choke engages too soon. If I stop on a cold day and run into a store for 5 or 10 minutes the choke engages and stays going longer than I think it should. I live in south-central, Texas, and I'm tempted to just disable it. But we do get those cold days that no choke would be a pain.

Gaskets and vacuum seem to check out. Have also did a mini rebuild on the carburetor. Minor tune-up was done less than 5000 miles ago. And again, I only use ethanol free gas.

The only other mechanical issue with a car is if I lug the transmission just slightly and give it the gas, it'll miss or skip just once.

This has got to be easy, as the car really does run very well. I think my brain just maybe fried after fixing a few of the issues with the lighting in the instrument cluster.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dr_Snooz
02-16-2020, 08:07 PM
Is there no way to adjust the choke? Download the manual in my sig and read up. Then let us know what you learn.

g.frost
02-21-2020, 09:55 AM
Get the manual as Dr Snooz says. Check the choke heater; you will need a meter to see if it has 12 volts whenever the ignition is on. Also check that there is resistance across the heater element. Sounds like this is the problem area. Next suspect would be the choke puller; check for vacuum leak(s). The manual spells out the tests.

pat8635
02-23-2020, 08:05 AM
Thanks, I had been looking for the manual and everyone wanted money for it. I should have known that you all would have it! THANKS. It doesn't seem to have any radio info, my front two speakers are not working When I test the lines there is not continuity between them, but there is when I check the ground, so the assumption would be that the wires are bad, but both? IT isn't the fader. The easy check would be to run a wire from back of radio to speaker for wire that doesn't appear to be working, but that isn't as easy to get to as when I first got this car, actually this was my dads I had the exact one you have in your picture above, over 30 years ago! again, Thanks for the manual