PDA

View Full Version : Place to Discuss Potential Non-Honda Swaps

KaMiKaZeE
03-04-2003, 10:32 AM
OK well I know many ppl here will just be horribly shocked and scarred at the thought of putting anything other than a honda engine into a 3g accord, but I just love thinking of non-conventional and cool car projects to do to be different. I know you are thinking "it will never happen" and "anything other that a b-series swap is unrealistic or not worth it" but I want this thread to be for the real dreamers who don't care and want to try interesting swaps anyway. That said, I would like to investigate first the availability of a front-wheel drive manual transaxle that could be mated to a Mazda twin-rotor Wankel engine from an RX-7. I believe this would be a great choice for an interesting high-performance swap since the small size of the engines should mean plenty of under-hood space in our 3g's and the amazing power-to-weight ratios would make for a real sleeper. Any thoughts on this or other interesting swap ideas? Please post 'em here! Even if it's crazy! I won't shoot ya down!:D

1989 DX R
03-04-2003, 11:53 AM
RWD into FWD means lots of custom. Even when you wanna mate it into a FWD transaxle...omg the headaches and fabrication for that.

KaMiKaZeE
03-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Did Mazda ever make a FWD rotary-powered car? Also, it isn't neccesarily that complex, as I know of quite a number of swaps of longitudinally mounted engines going into transverse mount setups such as the popular swap of a small-block chevy V-8 into a transverse-mount Pontiac Fiero, for instance. I would like to investigate the details before dismissing it completely.

Grant2k
03-04-2003, 01:52 PM
How about a Northstar V8? it probably wouldn't fit no matter what, but it would be cool. they have adapted northstars to RWD, but since it's already FWD, it would be cool to have one in a 3g, and fast.

KaMiKaZeE
03-04-2003, 01:59 PM
It would definitely be cool. I was also thinking about the supercharged 3.8L V6 in the '97 and up Pontiac Grand Prix. They have 240HP stock and you can get them to 300 with a chip, smaller pulley on the SC, intake, and exhaust. That is if even a V-6 will fit.:)

1989 DX R
03-04-2003, 02:32 PM
No, not fucking gay ass lazy automatic only American cars. Granted they might be fast or whatever...I just can't stand having to drive an auto when I could have a stick. Smacks of absolute laziness.

dXsquared
03-04-2003, 02:44 PM
why not a good old V8 chev? rear wheel drive... it wouldnt take much... just get a narrowed rear end... and the rest is just basic fabrication... tranny tunnel, mount engine, rear end... its all very basic

Travis

shepherd79
03-04-2003, 02:55 PM
i don't know about mazda, but i do know that russian car makers LADA made a FWD car with rotor engine. i think it was pushing like 160-180hp.
But they suck anyway, they break quick.

KaMiKaZeE
03-04-2003, 02:57 PM
Hmmm.... Maybee... Oh and on the Pontiac I wasn't talking about using that tranny, I want a manual, too. I just thought of using the engine on another manual transaxle. GM stuff is usually pretty interchangeable, they use that same engine in NA form as the base V-6 for Camaros and Firebirds with a RWD setup. This makes me wonder if maybe it will fit with like the 5-speed from a Grand-Am GT or something. Also, the new Grand Prix's will have a manual tranny option finally as I understand.

KaMiKaZeE
03-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Oh and speaking of manual trans Grand-Am GT's the 3.4L V-6's offered in them along with their own tranny's might make a good swap, too! They are pretty strong motors, quite torquey and I think close to 200hp in some version

Grant2k
03-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 1989 DX R
No, not fucking gay ass lazy automatic only American cars. Granted they might be fast or whatever...I just can't stand having to drive an auto when I could have a stick. Smacks of absolute laziness.
a lot of automatics are just good transmissions. if you spend the time and money to build one right an auto is just as good or better than a manual. you can't say a 727 or a 700R4 is a girly trans for lazy people if its running 11 or 12 seconds on street tires. many can handle more horsepower than most manuals. and a lot of people convert them to a manual valvebody.

cruznz
03-05-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
why not a good old V8 chev? rear wheel drive... it wouldnt take much... just get a narrowed rear end... and the rest is just basic fabrication... tranny tunnel, mount engine, rear end... its all very basic

Travis

yeh,...that sounds good,...but with a 340 chrysler for me please..:D ......:smokin:

Grant2k
03-05-2003, 07:44 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1875401808&category=6254

KaMiKaZeE
03-05-2003, 08:28 AM
Well the giant hood scoop and those wheels make it a bit too obvious for my own taste, but very nicely done! I don't particularly want to give up my FWD, though. I like the way FWD cars handle. I own a RWD oldsmobile with a V-8 and it is quite treacherous in icy or wet weather. Powersliding is fun too.:D

OldSchoolSwap
03-06-2003, 05:46 AM
My friend slapped a Rotary turbo motor into his 1990's Izuzu Truck. That shit takes mustangs like pancakes :) verry impressive! It did com rear wheel drive if not mistaken, so modding it was a bit of a mission but not as bad.

Also saw an unreal swap at a local car show/race track. a Ford Focus with a humongus V8 engine swap. :eek: The shit just wanted to rip out of the fenders.

Grant2k
03-06-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap
My friend slapped a Rotary turbo motor into his 1990's Izuzu Truck. That shit takes mustangs like pancakes :) verry impressive! It did com rear wheel drive if not mistaken, so modding it was a bit of a mission but not as bad.

Also saw an unreal swap at a local car show/race track. a Ford Focus with a humongus V8 engine swap. :eek: The shit just wanted to rip out of the fenders.
that focus V8 conversion kit won Best Engineering or something at SEMA. it's been out since the summer. they are working on a new one that will be CARB certified. http://www.kugelkomponents.com/

Scorpion88LX
03-06-2003, 07:07 AM
i was thinking of doing a nissan sr20det rwd swap in one of my parts cars.

KaMiKaZeE
03-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Wow that would be a neat project, too Scorpion! I like the ideas! It is a pretty big motor, though. I'd like to swap one of those into my mom's maxima. And OSS, do you know what years of 'stangs your friend could beat with that thing? not cobras, right? Cause that would be just insanely impressive! I mean, even V-8 GT's are bad enough! With a truck! HELL YEEEAAAH! I need to put one in my 3g now for sure. It'll be like, "more than you can afford, pal. Ferarri." (smoke 'em) :lol :lol :lol

OldSchoolSwap
03-06-2003, 10:16 AM
I don't know dude! I know he's boosting like a million pounds. Those freaking motors can take some major PSI abuse man!:eek:

KaMiKaZeE
03-06-2003, 10:38 AM
:) Coool. I think those engines have decent aftermarket support, too. Now I need to find out what type of FWD manual tranny I can hook up to it that will make it through that kind of torture for more than a few days.:stick:

KaMiKaZeE
03-06-2003, 04:52 PM
I wonder if a 5-spd FWD BMW tranny could be made to work? I think they are supposed to be pretty durable, right?

KaMiKaZeE
03-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Anyone priced RX-7 engines from rebuilders or junkyards? Can you give a ballpark estimate?

Grant2k
03-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by KaMiKaZeE
I wonder if a 5-spd FWD BMW tranny could be made to work? I think they are supposed to be pretty durable, right?
i don't know anything about BMWs, but what front wheel drive cars do they make that you could use the transaxle out of?

KaMiKaZeE
03-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Hmm... I checked BMW's site and I see your point. There are no FWD beamers. I thought the newer 3 series were, but nope. So thats out!:) Well OK so who makes a beast of a FWD tranny? Mitsu maybe from a FWD 3000gt 5-spd? Or how about a Maxima? Ooooh or maybe an Alpha-Romeo (if I could find one).

anchovies
03-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by KaMiKaZeE
Alpha-Romeo (if I could find one).

Alfa :tongue:

KaMiKaZeE
03-07-2003, 02:38 PM
Yeah, whatever.:rolleyes:

I don't think that would be cost-effective anyway. Perhaps a VW trans from a manual jetta or corrado or passat?

1989 DX R
03-07-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Grant2k
a lot of automatics are just good transmissions. if you spend the time and money to build one right an auto is just as good or better than a manual. you can't say a 727 or a 700R4 is a girly trans for lazy people if its running 11 or 12 seconds on street tires. many can handle more horsepower than most manuals. and a lot of people convert them to a manual valvebody.

I meant modern cars...old school autos are balla, those are mean. New ones...bah, maybe its just cuz companies build cheap ones and stick em in everything.

smufguy
03-11-2003, 03:15 PM
How about the V6 from the legend or the Inline 5 from the Vigor? I would love to see a AWD 3g and its one of my crazy dreams.

KaMiKaZeE
03-11-2003, 05:18 PM
For AWD how about a complete drivetrain transplant from a Subaru Impreza WRX? That would be w0000t.:D

smufguy
03-11-2003, 05:24 PM
well u can get the drive line off of a AWD civic hatchie and make it fit ur car to be more inexpensive. or get a LSD for the rear and then adat the FWD engine to the rear and i have no clue how to fab it also to the front. Probably put an extra gear in the front too i guess. BUt this is just theoretical which looks good on a paper.

KaMiKaZeE
03-12-2003, 10:35 AM
"AWD civic hatchie " :huh:

They made an AWD CIVIC??? Why haven't I heard about it? What years and trim levels?

Grant2k
03-12-2003, 10:43 AM
it was a station wagon with 4 doors, not a hatch. i don't know the trim levels but i think it was the early to mid 80s.

smufguy
03-12-2003, 12:41 PM
the wagon and the hatchi made difference to me cause they looked like shit.

they made it from 1988 - 1991. its main problems were its, main relay, ECU, ignitor, fan switch and its fuel injectors going bad very soon.

the engine was a 1.6L 108 hp

some nice pictures of the wagon is here http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/8997/

check this AWD turbo crx with a GSR engine it in. well atleast thats what the page says. but its a AWD for sure.

http://public.fotki.com/morgie/qsr/crx_gsr_awd_turbo/

http://images2.fotki.com/v17/photos/1/17179/191728/divers032-vi.jpg

http://images2.fotki.com/v16/photos/1/17179/191728/divers031-vi.jpg

Grant2k
03-12-2003, 02:32 PM
that's so cool that he off roads that thing!!

KaMiKaZeE
03-12-2003, 04:37 PM
Neato! Also I just thought of another possible donor...
Turbo AWD Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX!!!:D

smufguy
03-12-2003, 05:58 PM
yeah or the infamus talon. i still think, they are better choices than the AWD civic. I dont really have any idea on the reliabilit for the AWD from the civics, but i still think u need to get the rear suppor beam from the AWD civic like the crx dude did and move our exhaust pipe to the side too. Damn........ i am really hittin on this idea though.

KaMiKaZeE
03-13-2003, 08:35 AM
I think we're gonna have some tight cars pretty soon! Maybe I can find a way to use the driveline from a Talon or Eclipse AWD with the turbo'd engine from an RX-7!!! Can you imagine that in a 3g?:D:D:D WHEEEEEE! Mustang? BAH! Corvette? No problem. Civic rice? MUAHAHAHA!!! NICE TRY JUNIOR!:lol:lol:lol

smufguy
03-13-2003, 08:40 AM
well, who said our puppies cant do shit. right?? :D

KaMiKaZeE
03-13-2003, 10:17 AM
well, who said our puppies cant do shit. right??

DAMN STRAIGHT! HELL YEAH! 3GEEZ FOREVER!
:D:D:D:super: :D:D:D

Alexi3rdgen
04-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Is this the "dream engine" thread? hehehe That rotary idea sounds sweet. No engine rattle anymore, but it would constantly burn oil. I read the new Audi brochure. They have a 1.8 4 cylinder with 170 hp I wonder how hard the conversion would be....

Wes

Grant2k
04-02-2003, 07:36 PM
but that's the 1.8T which is turbo. you can just put in a B16 and get 160hp without turbo. adda turbo onto that and you're over 200 without any real wild fabrication.

smufguy
04-02-2003, 07:59 PM
but it all comes down to where u make ur peak power and peak torque. Me personally am not a fan of max hp at 6000 rpm or max torque at like 5500 rpm. i want our blocks to make decent hp and torque. i guess turbo is the solution for all that.

buzzbomber88lx
04-03-2003, 02:11 PM
They never made a front wheel drive rotary mazda. If you want a rotary car go pick up a mazda rx2 or rx3. hehe really small cars with rotary motors. WAY FAST. or get a three rotor mazda cosmo. those cars are badass. After I am done parting out my car I want to custom fabricate one of my brothers 5.0's into my car. Already have a driveshaft, rear end, tranny, etc. lol

gr3k0sLaV
04-08-2003, 03:18 AM
I'll inject my two dollars and ten cents,

My choices for a NON honda swap would be either a mitsubishi VR4, 2.0 dohc block, it's pretty similar to the B16a, it's the engine found in the Galants, and is a popular swap into Mitsu Cordias.

Another one would be the FWD SR20det or whatever.

Personally a VR4, a B16A, neither motor was designed to fit the car, so really pretty much the same amount of work to make them fit would apply.

Fact is though, you want to fork out the money, then any motor will fit in any car.

Example SR20DET powered starion, done by a local performance shop. Original motor, 8valve SOHC 4g63bt. New motor Sr20, similar sizes and all, major difference the intake and exhaust manifolds are on the opposite sides, in this swap they used the SR20 tranny, aswell, all in all. It goes, it flies.

Not point discussing what motors could, would or should fit. It's all a lot of work and a lot of dollars whichever way you look at it. And there aren't too many who want to do the work. Same goes for AWD 3geez, it can be done, no doubts about it, i'd love to see it done, but who of us here has the money?

Grant2k
04-08-2003, 05:50 AM
that's the point of this thread.

skaterjunky8
04-08-2003, 06:44 PM
Heh best swap i have ever seen has got to be an f20C (S2000 engine) into a Hachi-Roku. Props to that swap

smufguy
04-09-2003, 07:02 AM
well The F20c motor in a trueno was posted a while back in the AF forums i guess or probably here. I posted it while i was looking for a tureno/sprinter. I would say that was one dumb swap cause a 3sgte or a 3sgze motor with a 20valve and a DOHC can easily kick ass than a f20c. Also, no wonder the older 1st and 2nd gen MR2s had soo much power cranking out from a JDM 1.6L 20Valve, 4 banger, in some cases, Toyota did it right.

Grant2k
04-09-2003, 08:15 AM
it was posted here.

Morpheus
04-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Defienently F20c engine or a C series NSX engine. The idea of some american V8 in our cars is stupid. I heard a company makes B series clones since Honda stopped building them. It woule be awesome if they spent the money to design a custom FWD setup for the F20c and cloned that. I think it would make alot of money since it is the best I4 engine Honda makes. Being able to convert to a six speed if they custom fabricated one would be awesome too. F20c and six-speed in the 3geez=sick!

smufguy
04-09-2003, 12:57 PM
I wanna try the RL 3.5L engine being fit in our 3g, hahahahaha stupid swap though :D

C27 baby or the G20, its all i want AS OF NOW!!!! :D

Morpheus
04-10-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Alexi3rdgen
Is this the "dream engine" thread? hehehe That rotary idea sounds sweet. No engine rattle anymore, but it would constantly burn oil. I read the new Audi brochure. They have a 1.8 4 cylinder with 170 hp I wonder how hard the conversion would be....

Wes

Do some research on Honda Engines. Type-R B18 1.8 non-turbo engine is a fairly easy bolt in and it makes 195hp. Nothing special about Audi I4's.

skaterjunky8
04-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
well The F20c motor in a trueno was posted a while back in the AF forums i guess or probably here. I posted it while i was looking for a tureno/sprinter. I would say that was one dumb swap cause a 3sgte or a 3sgze motor with a 20valve and a DOHC can easily kick ass than a f20c. Also, no wonder the older 1st and 2nd gen MR2s had soo much power cranking out from a JDM 1.6L 20Valve, 4 banger, in some cases, Toyota did it right.

Ah hell no man. An f20c pumps out 250 stock. that is more then the v6 in the older toyota supras. besides a f20c is a hell of a lot lighter then the 3sgte and 3sgze, thus it would not have an understeer problem like it would with a heavier engine. The Hachi with a f20c is sick

blazin3gen
04-10-2003, 08:28 PM
changing the subject but my friend is gonna put a GSR engine in his Hyundai scoupe they tested the engine and swaped it in but took it back out because they want 1000 for the engine, but he said he should have the engine put in by the end of this month or next month, and when its done im posting pics

smufguy
04-10-2003, 08:31 PM
its not the power of the motor always. Its where it makes the power and how it makes the power. I am not saying that its a totally bad swap, but he could have swapped a supra motor or what not. and trust me, the 3sg series, both superchraged and turbo motors are much lighter than the f20c for sure. i mean they were all aluminum 1.6L motors (Im guessing on the weight) and they were in a much lighter cars. the S2000 is much heavier than the corolla gts/sprinter/trueno/MR2. BUt i hate where the s2000 makes it power, i hate the friggin high compression on that motor. Though it was a race tuned motor, i still think we gotta make motors that dont have to rev that high to make some decent power. and hell i would never swap a turbo motor for a screaming motor. thats my opinion.

blazin3gen
04-10-2003, 08:38 PM
:werd: his scoupe is turbo i told him to buy a new turbo since his car's turbo is MIA but he said hes deciding to go with the gsr