PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Accord DX Hatchback - OEM Radio?

Fisher_White
02-22-2020, 05:51 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for an OEM headunit for my 1987 DX Hatchback that would match whatever Honda may have included when it was new, as the car came with a Pioneer unit from ~2003. Although I have the original owners manual for the car, it only shows the radio that was included for the LX-i model, which may have been different than the DX.

Did the DX have AM/FM/Cassette? AM/FM only? No radio at all? Photos, model numbers, or possible leads for suitable head units would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Fixedit
02-23-2020, 10:41 PM
I don't claim to have all the knowledge on OEM radios, but I do have a collection of my own and have become somewhat familiar with which types came in what models. It makes sense to me that DX models came with AM/FM radio tape players with a needle display (no digital screen). There was one on ebay recently I found in the RSS feed thread, I'll link it so you can look at it, though unfortunately it's already sold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1986-Honda-Accord-Civic-OEM-AM-FM-Radio-Cassette-Player-AE-CM3306-/283786350139?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Fisher_White
02-26-2020, 12:54 AM
I made a very interesting (and conveniently timed!) discovery today after removing the carpets. Looks like one of the volume knobs from the original stereo fell off and rolled into the sleeve where the lower dashboard support bolts to the floor. This should give a better idea of what was originally installed. Additionally, I am including a photo that shows the LX-i stereo in my owners manual. The knobs look very similar, but I am unsure if the same radio would have been used in the DX.

Dr_Snooz
02-28-2020, 07:57 PM
Ooooo! Forensic investigation! LOL