PDA

View Full Version : 87 accord LX wont idel after warming up

spaceman301
03-01-2020, 04:54 PM
So I recognize there is a lot of post threads that could help me with this but I don't know where to start.

The issue I am having is when I start the car it will idel high for a few minutes (around 2,000 rpm) then the idel will crash and the car will die. I can keep it alive by feathering the throttle but with all the vacuum hoses I don't even know where to start. Is there a thread that has explored this issue of the car dying after running for a few minutes. Car has been sitting for a few years and would like to get it running again.
:bowrofl:

Dr_Snooz
03-01-2020, 06:55 PM
I'd probably start with a can of carb cleaner to clean the carb. When that was done, I'd use the carb cleaner to look for vacuum leaks. If that doesn't work, you get to sit down with the manual and figure out what module on the carb is messing up.

spaceman301
03-01-2020, 07:12 PM
I'd probably start with a can of carb cleaner to clean the carb. When that was done, I'd use the carb cleaner to look for vacuum leaks. If that doesn't work, you get to sit down with the manual and figure out what module on the carb is messing up.

I went and got a can. took the filter and intake off so I could get to the carburetor. Sprayed carb cleaner around the base of the passenger side of the carburetor. RPM would increase when sprayed there it would also increase when sprayed on a vacuum line on the back bottom part of the carburetor. Is this normal for them to get vacuum leaks in these areas?

Dr_Snooz
03-03-2020, 07:39 PM
It's not unheard of. Get it fixed so you know for sure.